Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a reference sound DVD list. Stuff that shows off your setup. No need to put chapter listings, unless you want to. I expect to see stuff like TS, The Matrix and such, but I won't put them on yet.

To kick it off, I would like to put the following 5 movies on the list:

Master and Commander - One of the most immersive mixes out there.

LOTR:EE
Trilogy - The DTS-ES track, plus Dolby EX are great.

Behind Enemy Lines
- This is another great DTS track. Lots of LFE as well.

Saving Private Ryan
- The beach landing is one of the scariest sounding mixes on film.

Black Hawk Down - Anoter scary war soundtrack.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yes Master and Commander had amazing audio. I also like Fast and Furious and for a non-action video, the Phantom of the Opera.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (Video)

(I thought I'd povide something other than a movie).

The Corrs also has a "best of" DVD where several of the tracks are DD5.1, but most are DD2.0 unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If we are going to list music, by far the "Eagles Hell Freezes Over" concert or a lot of the other concerts out there. so many to list!

Movies with awesome sound...

Hero (fight scene in the autumn setting)
Ronin ("chases to die for" - crank it up and listen to this! sweet)
U-571, DasBoot, etc
The Fifth Element
Star Wars movies

so many to list!

Plus TopGun... I must have been enjoying it so much that I actually got the condo security knocking at my door one night and I didn't realize it was so loud but it wasn't really. :D

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here Here...the new SW are great. As well, U-571 is a disturbingly good submarine movie.

I would like to add:
The Matrix Trilogy
The Lion King (With the Disney Enhanced Surround Mix)
The Incredibles

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hell Freezes Over vote here.

Also,

how about The Gladiator, battle of Carthage scene is fantastic, the whole movie sounds great.

U-571 for the depth charges.

SW:ep I the pod race scene is a favorite of mine.

How about cranking up a THX opening? I sometimes show these to friends. SW always has a good THX, as does the PIXAR movies.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
How could I miss Band Of Brothers. The presentation on TMN in DD was amazing when it was on so imagine the box set is the same with all the bullets going by, bombs exploding, etc. Not to exemplify war or anything. :cool:

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Desperado is another great soundtrack. Look for the Superbit edition with the DTS Soundtrack.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Apollo 13 DTS...superb
Castaway...amazing soundstage throughout the movie
Dantes Peak DTS...incredible LFE
Gladiator...the opening battle scene blew me away
The Haunting DTS...see Dantes Peak and add 10
The Incredibles...the name says it all
Jurassic Park DTS...the original innovator
Jurassic Park 3...took JP one and turned it up a notch
Master and Commander CE...feels like your on the ship
Saving Private Ryan DTS...best demostration of sound ever
Seven SE...amazing detail and soundtrack
Titan AE...the ICE Fields are like nothing your heard before

Different honorable mention...WWE Wrestlemania 21. The first live sports(entertainment) dvd I have watched that sounds like you are there (I've been to many live WWE events to know what to compare it too).

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I just watched the Eagles "Hell freezes over" DVD. FOr this thread, lets add the bonus all audio track, #22, "Seven bridges road". WOW, thats definately something I am going to show off next time friends are over.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The DTS Music disc of "Hell Freezes Over" beats the latest Eagles' DVD "Farewell 1 Tour" for sound engineering.

As for a movie, the latest "Flight of the Phoenix" is something to see and to hear!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Honourable mention should go to "Heart Alive In Seattle" dts track "Alone" and Phil Collins "Finally - The First Farewell Tour" dts track "True Colours".

These are 2 perfectly clean recordings to demonstrate vocal imaging and clarity without the usual 'thundering' sub demo effect (which most of us flex once in a while to impress the homies).

·
Banned
509 Posts
I have to say the plane crash in Castaway is great...when hanks is in the bathroom and the plane suddenly loses pressure...that scard me for life.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3 more:
Moulin Rouge - Amazing DTS soundtrack. Just turn the movie on and enjoy Zidler's Dancing Dogs. Then skip down to the Roxanne tango.

Super Speedway Mach II Special Edition - Features a LOUD DTS soundtrack.

X-Men 1 & 2
- Both have great DTS soundtracks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Starship Troopers will tear your sound system a new one as well!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts