Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
57, I too will let them know but will congratulate them on the stretching-I loathe the bars. Would rather see all fat people than big black bars-but that's just me and by the sound of this board the minority.(my Sony TV can't stretch or alter hd channels)
Don't matter really cause by the time Shaw gets it in our area ther'll be a different technology anyway.
Good luck on your quest.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
A&E Stretched Picture

Both my HDTV and 9200 stretch and zoom the picture. Combined with A&E's stretching I can get to see a little, tiny bit of the original picture zoomed up real close. :rolleyes: The thing I cannot do is shrink the picture to see the original OAR show. It's a good thing A&E now longer airs anything I like to watch.

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
Sent them the following:

Hello, I noticed that you have just launched your HD channel, which I receive on Rogers 533. I know it's not officially on air yet, but based on preliminary viewing, I have the following comments.

1. Your audio signal is DD5.1, however, many of your programmes are not (probably DD2.0). By sending an improperly encoded DD5.1 signal, the sound comes out only the LF & RF speaker. This is not correct.

2. You are currently stretching upconverted 4:3 programming. This is annoying to many people who prefer to see the signal unstretched. If I want to stretch, I'll watch the SD channel and stretch it myself.

3. The audio and video have been out of synch on a number of programmes. Please correct.

4. Your logo is huge (especially) on HDTVs which are typically large (40-70"). Please reduce its size, make it less opaque for burn in concerns, don't have it displayed all the time, etc.

Thank you for launching your HD channel and thank you for listening.

57, Toronto
Also sent the following a little while later.

1. I recorded the movie you aired recently "The Riverman". This movie had black bars above and below the image on my HDTV, however, I believe this programme was shot in Widescreen (1.78 or 1.85:1 aspect) and therefore should have filled my 16:9 screen.

You have been stretching all the programmes I've seen, but it's inappropriate to stretch widescreen or HD programming.

I know you're just starting, so I hope you appreciate the feedback that will allow you to provide programming in the correct aspect ratio, without distortion.

I'm a moderator on an HD forum and I've had my HDTV for 5 years, so I know a bit about HD.

2. Also, are you planning to add "HD" to your HD programmes in your TV schedule, or perhaps a separate HD Schedule?
Feel free to use this as a template if you like.

Sent to:

http://www.aetv.com/ (Contact Us). I got acknowledgements via e-mail, but no feedback yet.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The first "HD" broadcast was at 8 this morning....CSI Miami. The PQ is fine but the audio is out of sync and not all audio channels are active.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
it's inappropriate to stretch widescreen or HD programming.
It's inappropriate to stretch any programming. Most receivers and many HDTVs have the ability to stretch programming but few have the ability to reverse stretching from the source. It should be left up to the viewer to select their preference. I dislike stretched pictures and rarely use this feature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing to complain about

I can't evaluate how A&E HD looks since there is still no signal here in Mississauga! I thought they were supposed to "go live" on Sep. 4.

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
I watched a CSI Miami for a couple of minutes last night (around midnight?) and it looked like stretched SD to me too.

Several posts that were in various other threads have been moved to this one. People who were not familiar with this thread and posted in another thread, may wish to review the comments in this thread, as many items have been covered.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I recorded and watched CSI: Miami from 8am today. Certainly seemed to be HD but the audio was definitely out of sync.

The bug is horrible!!!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's the biggest bug out there...
It's 10 inches wide on my set!. Would make Tommy Lee proud.:)
Anyway, watching FIRESTORM HD. It is stretched & letterboxed "formatted to fit your widescreen":rolleyes: even worse, somebody did a hatchet job pan & scan on it! Only stereo, no 5.1. Guess they have no QC, or is it PC.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Their big A&E movie last night was supposed to be in HD but it wasn't...stretched letterbox with 2 channel sound. It looks to me like the clowns at A&E don't really know what they're doing.....:mad:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I recorded "Cold Case Files" that according to the IPG was supposed to be in HD. It looked like upconverted widescreen SD material.

41 - 60 of 212 Posts