Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
They don't stretch everything, just their SD programming (and all commercials); perhaps The Matrix was in true HD (albeit in the wrong AR, as it was 2.35:1 in theaters).

·
Registered
195 Posts
flip this house was in proper 16:9 also but then True Lies with Arnold was 4:3 stretched, as it was all the other times it was shown on A&E HD...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
When I watched the Matrix on A&E a couple of weeks ago, it looked to me like someone had it in "zoom" mode to fill the screen.

·
Super Moderator
56,397 Posts
Probably don't want anyone seeing any black bars - even if it means chopping off heads (2.35:1 -> 1.78:1 zooming), or making people look fat (1.33 -> 1.78:1 stretching).

I wonder whether this is an automatic process of some kind?

·
Banned
27 Posts
I too wrote A&E about stretching of 4:3 standard-definition material. It's disappointing to read here that they've been doing it since they began in 2006 (for the most part) and show no signs of changing, appearing to believe that the majority of their HD customers actually prefer that (a few misguided souls do perhaps <g>). What burns me most is that when they do show movies in SD they don't bother to show the widescreen transfers we've all seen on DVD (or if they do, letterboxed within a 4:3 frame that is stretched to 16:9!). Are they totally stupid or just incredibly cheap?

·
Registered
195 Posts
have you guys seen the "opposite"? It's not on A&E but on a video I have. It's in 16:9 but I have to do "wide zoom" in order for it to look proper. otherwise in 16:9 mode it looks like everyone is skinny.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A&E HD aspect ratio always messed up

What is the deal with A&E HD? (best Seinfeld impersonation)

Seriously. 80% of the time the aspect ratio on the channel is messed up. Sometimes I'll watch A&E and all is good, but most times the picture is stretched out. This makes the channel virtually unwatchable to me. I find it varies randomly throughout the day. I can watch an episode of Sopranos earlier in the day and then turn on A&E HD later in the day to watch another Soprano's episode and the picture is stretched out. Same with movies, sometimes ratio is messed up and sometimes not with the same movie

Does anyone know if this is a problem from the source (which would be hard to believe A&E would pump out crap and hope no one notices) or is the problem on Shaw's end?

201 - 212 of 212 Posts