Seeing as DD has seen one it appears they are on their way

well lets start it.

First complaint, can't get one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
On Rogers' system

Lenster said:
I spent a 1/2 hour with a NB CSR (ID starts with F). She read me their update word-for-word and I'll try to sum up what she said:

- the launch date for the 6412 is Friday, Feb. 4, 2005.
- there is a shortage of these boxes
- the 6412 will be launched with the second tuner disabled "in NB", with this being enabled in the future (CSR guessed 6 months)
- known issues with 6412: slow channel change (same as 6208), no coax out, close captioning only avail. on HD channels using component video.
- the monthly rental charge will be $19.99 per month, same as 6208, until dual tuner functionality is activated (the CSR guessed $5/mth more)
- no mention of what guide to be available (Moto site link says the i-Guide!, but only when dual tuner is activated).

She said Rogers Video stores get their regularly scheduled shipments on Tuesdays & Thursdays (DD stumbled on 6412's in Miramichi).

So I have another order on the system. The CSR's cannot specifically order the 6412 as it's not yet on their system. Place an order and spin the wheel...
So the only main "improvement" with 6412 over 6208, when they ship, will be the larger HDD (120 Gb instead of 80 Gb). No dual tuner at this time, and the Blue Guide will be used for now.

I copied bits and pieces of an earlier thread in another forum. This information was read to me over the phone on Friday, Feb. 4, by a CSR who seemed real excited by the new release (she had both the 6200 & 6208 at home). Earliest ETA is sometime the week of Feb. 14. IMHO, given Rogers' past performnace on delivery of new boxes, I share Danster's opinion of delivery by the end of the month.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I keep checking with the Rogers Video store here to see if they've received an updated ETA about when they can make these boxes available. Nothing yet, but I will keep you informed if I hear anything.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I see Shaw has upgraded the software on their 6412. Ours must be shielded from all this zapping... :eek:
Today being the 9th, what are the odds that their shipment of Tuesdays and Thursdays would be on time for the 14th? I mean if they are supposed to have an ETA on the 14th, wouldn't the boxes arrive tomorrow (Thursday)? Just dreaming :(

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have made comment on the slow channel change thing before but here it is again...

I doubt that there is much that can be done about the time delay as the unit has to buffer a certain amount of signal and then play out of the buffer.

At my house, the 6208 is within listening distance of a 2000 series unit. When I have them both on the same station, the 6208 is at least half a second behind. That confirms that it is playing from the buffer.

Theoretically, when the dual tuner function is turned on, they could at least have the last channel function set to buffer from the last channel and from the current channel so that flipping back and forth was instantaneous. Of course the feature would be disabled if you were recording something on the other tuner already.

Otherwise, unless you build a signal reciever time machine, you just aren't going to get the signal into the box fast enough to buffer the video properly.

I guess as I think about it, that it would be possible to design the unit to split the mpeg stream and send one feed to the PVR portion and the other to the output circuitry. When a PVR function was activated (pause, rewind, etc...) the unit would then reroute the PVR stream to the output signal based on the time index of the mpeg stream. Doing it this way could add more cost to the reciever as there would be more circuitry needed.

57 or Hugh, does the SA8300 have a channel change time delay like the Motorola 62xx/64xx?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I got a call today from someone "inside" the company in Moncton. It isn't good news right now:

We were supposed to get Rogers on Demand as well as TMN On Demand by the end of February as it was planned back in November. Also, we were going to get the 6412 at the same time as these were going to be online. The bad news/ good news, well, we won't get all 3 until June or July this year. We will get all three at the same time when we do get them. So, no 6412 in our future until June or July.

Sorry for the bubble bursting.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
....but we got CBC HD on time!!! Does that make you feel better????? :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Fine. Go back to your room and don't come out until we get the 6412. Make sure you have enough food to survive a couple of years.....:eek:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I think you have the time period confused with the poor folks waiting for the DSR 530. :p ;)

On the more serious side, wha the hell are they going to do for people that want an HD PVR and don't give a crap if it is dual tuner or not? I would still like a second PVR regardless, but if it is some POS refurb of a 6208 and not a new 6208, then I don't want a second one that bad.

I will have to bring this new information to Jason and see what he says. It will be interesting to hear him squirm through the phone.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I just got off the phone with Jason and he is not aware of any delay on the 6412.

When I told him about the rumor/possibility, he started to panic. He said there are no more 6200 or 6208 units available so if the 6412 is delayed, he will personally have a lot of pised off customers.

He is going to look into it and see what is going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HDPVR in Fredericton? Yeah, right...

The short version = as of Monday March 28th, 2005, Rogers in Fredericton is still delivering the 6208 box.

The long version = Well, I just ordered an HDPVR from Rogers (to rent) on Thursday the 24th. It came yesterday (the 28th), delivered and installed via the Cable Guy.

Man was I excited! FINALLY, I'd be able to digitally record shows, watch a channel while I record another (or two)! Plus all the other stuff the commercials and the Rogers website said it would do. Cool.

I was as giddy as a school girl as he left saying, "just wait for about a half-hour and all your channels should be up".

Well, I waited - the picture came on as he said, but no sound. Checked the cables, Cable Guy hooked it up wrong! Strike One!

Programmed the remote to work with my gear, no problem, then sat down to learn the nitty gritty of recording on the thing...

IMAGINE MY DISSAPOINTMENT when I find out what I have is a 6208 that does NOTHING but record the same program you're watching (more or less - oh, that and the "pause" live TV thing). Strike Two!

Called Rogers, they have no idea what I'm talking about "your box SHOULD do all of that stuff, the 8000 can yada, yada, yada..."

"But I don't have an 8000, my model # is DCT6208," says I. She is not convinced, basically thinks I'm crazy, tells me there is no such beast and starts treating me like a 3 year old. Strike Three!

Woke up this morning to check on the programs I recorded over night (I used the later timeshifted shows to get my programs recorded because I wanted to watch other stuff earlier). Went to turn on the unit and, and, NOTHING!

I don't mean that my programs didn't record, I mean NOTHING. The darn thing wouldn't even turn on. No noise no anything. I did the usual unplug/reboot thing that I used to do with my old Digital Terminal, still nothing.

Called Rogers again, they just said do what I already did. Oh, and they suggested I plug the unit into another plug on the wall?? I don't know about you folks, but I have NOTHING plugged directly into a wall outlet. Everything I own runs through surge protectors. So I swapped those around (why, I have NO idea), still nothing. Strike Four!

Then I found this forum (sure wish I would have found it sooner) so I thought I'd pass on that the info that as of Monday March 28th, 2005, Rogers in Fredericton is still delivering the 6208 box. That's what I'm calling it, a box. It certainly doesn't deserve to be called a PVR. I am not impressed.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Rob in Freddy

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The first thing to keep in mind is that you pretty much have to spell it out for the CSRs in Ontario that you are in N-E-W B-R-U-N-S-W-I-C-K. They are as thick as mud on a good day.

There is a call center in Moncton that we sometimes get sent to in the vectoring that goes on in the background of the Rogers phone system, but the only sure way most days is to choose french for the language.

Secondly, I would bet that the 6208 that you were given was a used/abused unit that got freed up somehow. I would get Rogers on the phone and ride them like a cheap whore until they guarantee you that the replacement is going to be a 6412.

And lastly, if you may have noted, there are still issues that will prevent even the 6412 from coming with both tuners turned on. The word/guess/rumor is that the second tuner will be "activated" close to summer or so.

Welcome aboard the the good ship DHC!

·
Registered
298 Posts
To debunk another myth...

que3jxp said:
There is a call center in Moncton that we sometimes get sent to in the vectoring that goes on in the background of the Rogers phone system, but the only sure way most days is to choose french for the language.
I tried choosing the French option and got a French girl from the Ottawa Call Center. Being in the nation's capital across the river from Quebec, I don't think you'll get the Moncton center very often. Try calling before 8:30AM instead.

The 6208 I got has a loud whirring noise from the fan unit. I'm just waiting for the 6412 to be available before I put in the call to replace it. If I do it now, I'll get another 6208...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
That's why when they ask for yet again, my phone number and postal code, as soon as the CSR mentions their name, I ask if "their name" is working in Moncton. If not, I want someone from Moncton. Then we go on the debate that all CSR's are aware of every units for their systems :gags: and that she/he would be just as good as someone from Moncton. At that point, I test them out and 9/10, they fail. Simple question: What manufacturer builds our HDPVR? Answer: Is not SA...but Motorola (at one point, GI). Then I ask to be transfered to Moncton cause they didn't pass the test or I just try calling again until I get Carrie from Moncton <- hint!

It is quite frustrating. They do have the 6412 up on Prospect but they have been told to wait....wait for what? Only Ted knows.

My 6208 has been acting up strangely lately. There are Pops! and Snaps!, the picture goes away, then sometimes, it resets itself and forgets about the sound at which point, I have to unplug it and wait for the IPG to be loaded back in about 4 hours....lovely machine. I just hope we get the bugs ironed out when and IF the 6412 ever lands at our doorsteps... :eek:

Danster

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I brought the box (a.k.a 6208 ) back to the Prospect St. store and got my good ol' regular digital cable box back.

BUT - not before phoning Rogers again 4 times AFTER I posted here this morning (I'd learned the Moncton trick by then!).

I got four different stories -and prices (that was scary) from 4 different folks - one insisting over and over adamantly that my 6208 WAS indeed a dual-tuner model and that Rogers here in NB just hasn't "activated" it yet. She said "activation" on my box wasn't planned until sometime later in the year. That was the best of the four calls :mad: ...I just kind of shook my head, said "Thanks" and hung up just as she was saying "is there anything else I can sell you today Mr..."

Aaarrrggg.

At this point my biggest complaint is the (ahem) advertising for the HDPVR.

For us folks here in NB, to me, it almost seems to amount to false advertising. We are bombarded with Rogers TV ads saying you can have this amazing HDPVR, the Rogers person who took my order over the phone says I can have this amazing HDPVR, the Rogers website says I can have this, too - even if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the web page page and read the fine print in (surprise!) little tiny letters, it says "digital cable not available in all areas" not "this amazing HDPVR not available in all areas".

I think that's why I'm so pi$$ed, I feel lied to.

The only good thing that happened to me today with Rogers was that I did get a call me back from a NB supervisor who let me unburden my HDPVR woes.

He admitted that my tale was becoming all too common to him. He too seemed frustrated by the lack of co-ordination and knowledgably of products/services at the service end (but not as much as I was!). I remained cool and basically told him my main peeve was/is with the advertising.

Then he told me there are (as you all know) 6412s on the way that should be here very soon and that they will have both tuners enabled (what good would it be without them?). Now, as to WHEN the box will be "activated" ;) ...who knows.

Like I said, I brought the 8204 back this morning to the store, but while I was there I got my name put on that 6412 "waiting list" you folks were typing about (I'm #14!).

Oh - and that supervisor guy who called me back, he hooked my bill up with some nice "modifications" for all my troubles. That was cool of him.

Now I have to go write a letter to Corporate Rogers about that advertising...

Thanks again for being here, folks. You seem to be the only dependable source for Rogers PVR info. Much appreciated.

R

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
How can you be #14 when they told me I was #14 on the list last monday? Does it mean that the cutoff was 13 and now, we are all #14's ????

It can be frustrating but you have to give ROGERS credit- If something doesn't please you, they sure can "tweak" your accounts in order to undo their mistakes.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts