Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for 5220 owners only to post observations, questions or notes about the Bell 5220.

The 5220 is the newest PVR from ExpressVu whose most notable feature is dual tuners.

This thread is for owners only who'd like to discuss issues with their new receiver or have practical questions about it.

Off topica posts and posts asking about where to get it will be deleted in order to keep the thread relevant to owners.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Known bugs;

-When you go into an ITV aplication then return to your station the box will crash.

-You must hookup a phone-line when installing this box so it can call in or it will stop working, this is not a bug but should be known.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Everyone,

First off, I would like to thank Hugh for his time and effort putting into this site for all of us. It is a solid source of information.

I am the owner of two 5100s since the beginning of 2002. I have enjoyed its use from day one. So i have bought a 5200 and it is even better. The menu system is much better and easier to use. More choices/options which other 5100 owners would like to have.

For Exemple, the browser feature now allows you to go beyond the 1 show. If you watch a live event (football game, Oscar Night) you can increase the length of the show by 15 minutes increment at the time you set your timer. They are a lot more than that and I still need to find out how to switch between one tuner to the other.

But, the install process is a bit more complex. You MUST have the two cable feeds from the antenna to the receiver as well as a phone line before you start your installation/configuration/activation. The PVR is trying to get signal to both tuners and if notconnected the thing does not function properly.

Beside that. I love it. Can't wait for the HD-PVR!!! By the way the 3200 (dual tuner) is out...

JF

·
Registered
4 Posts
I brought the new dual tuner the first week it was available. I have been waiting over a year for it. It doesn't work very good on a single cable run. It had to find the satellite every time I had it off for more than a few hours.

I bought a splitter and spent all day one Saturday to install it and run the cable. The recommended splitter needs power so put it close to a power plug, or install another one like I did.

The problems I have is that sometimes I lose the sound and I have to turn it off and then on again. I did the hard drive check and it tells me there are errors and it can fix them by deleting all my programs. I say yes to delete all programs and to fix the errors but it just locks up. I then have to unplug it and then plug it back in to make it work.

Also sometime it splits a recording into 2 parts. I suspect it is because it loses the satellite signal and then when it reacquires the signal it starts another recording.

Anybody have similar problems?

Overall I love the unit I just want the few problems fixed up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got it installed yesterday. The guys who installed it left it at a signal strength of 67. Is that ok? :confused:

The dual tuner works good so far. I thought this unit would have component outs but it does not. The UHF remote works well so far.

I haven't had much time trying out the PVR functions yet except for pausing the tv.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Vader76 said:
I got it installed yesterday. The guys who installed it left it at a signal strength of 67. Is that ok? :confused:
That sounds pretty low. On satellite 91, Transponder 18, you should be close to 95% to 100%.

You'll still get signal; but once the first big fluffy snow flakes start to fall, you'll be cutting out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Signal strength?

What signal strength you can expect is subject to your location, people in weaker footprint areas of the satellites will get a weaker signal strength and may require the use of a larger dish/dishes to get better signal strength..

You also need to look at all transponders rather than just one to determine your average strength...you change the transponder being tested with your remote control going through each of 32 transponders, some on the Nimiq2 sat are not going to provide any signal (that is normal)... test them all on Nimiq1 to determine the average strength on Nimiq1 and do the same for Nimiq2...

I wouldn't be happy with 69 as an average strength...you will lose your service if you start getting below 50 during bad weather, so you want as strong a signal as is normal or possible for your area...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Father just purchased a 5220 and is just waiting for an installler. I was over tonight helping him place the reciever and set up the remotes,etc. But we have a few questions for you 5200 owners.

1. single/dual modes: this setup will have one main tv (just above reciever) and another secondary t.v. in basement which probably gets used 3 times a week. I know there is a button on the reciever for switching dual/single , but is there a way to switch with the remotes?

2. both my parents usually watch t.v. together in main room. Presently set up with rogers cable and 27" sony tv. They have two remotes for the sony , so either can change the channel , volume ,etc. Question is ; can both 5200 remotes be used in the same room to control the same tuner/tv?. And then when needed take the uhf remote downstairs to control the other tuner , I realize it probably wont be able to do basement tv volume ,power etc .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rosewood said:
My Father just purchased a 5220 and is just waiting for an installler. I was over tonight helping him place the reciever and set up the remotes,etc. But we have a few questions for you 5200 owners.

1. single/dual modes: this setup will have one main tv (just above reciever) and another secondary t.v. in basement which probably gets used 3 times a week. I know there is a button on the reciever for switching dual/single , but is there a way to switch with the remotes?

2. both my parents usually watch t.v. together in main room. Presently set up with rogers cable and 27" sony tv. They have two remotes for the sony , so either can change the channel , volume ,etc. Question is ; can both 5200 remotes be used in the same room to control the same tuner/tv?. And then when needed take the uhf remote downstairs to control the other tuner , I realize it probably wont be able to do basement tv volume ,power etc .
They will use the infra red remote to control rcvr/tv in main room.
they can use both and have both remotes set to control the volume on the sony but it would make more sense to have the uhf remote TV mode set to the remote location. they can use any old bell remote, (or most universal remotes for that matter), as a second IR based remote in the main room if the must have "remote wars", and leave the UHF remote at the other location.
That's what I would do, otherwise they are going to need a second remote to control TV volume.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Outputs on 5220

Hi all, I have ordered a 5220 and I'm wondering what equivalent model number this is under the Dish Network (Echostar) lexicon. As far as I can make out, it is the 921, as this is the only dual tuner model. My question is what are the outputs on the 5220? Is there only one or two (or none) DVI outs? How about digital audio for 5.1? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought this unit one month ago and although the installation took a bit of time, it was relatively painless. Unfortunately I started having problem almost immediately. I had the same sound problem noted above by fredemc, on occasion the unit would record a different channel from the one specified in the timer (the program information in the PVR showed that it recorded the right channel at the right time, but it turned out to be a different show on a different channel). As if that wasn't enough, the unit shuts down and resets itself quite frequently and the call display doesn't work. There are more issues but I won't list them here. I thought it was a software issue so I gave it couple of weeks to see if it would correct itself but it didn't. After a couple of conversations with ExpressVu, they agreed to send me a new unit which I should receive in a few days. They were quite nice about it and really surprised at the amount of issues found in the same unit. I've been with Bell for many years and, until now, I've been satisfied with the equipment. I also own a 5900 PVR and an old 4500. I hope the new unit they send me will work properly. :(

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The 522 is a work in progress. Audio sync issues, rebooting, guide problems etc. Dish keeps sending new firmware to fix the bugs but hasn't managed to get it right yet. I suspect BEV will suffer the same fate.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Hi All,

Well I picked up my 5200 on Monday. Install went fine. I also had to install a SW44 (got that because next year I want to go to HD, dealer gave it to me for $100 no tax). Signal strength is way up at 98% on both tuners. The dealer told me that Interactive TV will lock up the unit and sure enough it does. I went to www.expressvu.ca and activated additional reciver. It was activated within 20 minutes.

Still learning the PVR functions. Seems I get confused sometimes as to why it isn't recording. I started a show last night and decided that I had better record it. Press "Rec" and confirmed to record this show, but later noticed that it didn't record after all. Good thing the VCR was still up cause it recorded the show.

I also notice sound problems. I noticed it when I was recording a 10-11pm show then at 10:25, after watching a different show, we decided to watch the show we were recording. I went to it and rewound to beginning while it was still recording, No sound. I switched channels and had sound then flip back and forth and finally got sound.

Then at 11pm when the show was scheduled to finish recording (and it did) the sound stopped. I fliipped around channels and got the sound back again. Weird. I use the optical audio for input to my surround sound system.

Thats all I have encountered either than the "did I do that or did it mess up" kind of stuff.

The PVR function sure is nice, too nice now.
Any way updates as we go.

Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
5200 Issues

I've had my 5220 for exactly one day and have run into a number of problems mentioned above already.

Current list of issues that I'm aware of:
1. Severe problem with the receiver just shutting down/crashing. Holding down the power button on the receiver for 5-10 seconds, waiting a minute, then pressing power on the remote seems to reboot it properly. Guide data then has to redownload.

2. Pressing iTV button on remote or going to the "Launch Pad" menu:
Brings you to the correct interactive TV screens, etc. but you'll never be able to get out of it. It says to press Guide to exit iTV mode, but doing so causes the video to be displayed in a small box on the right hand side of the otherwise black screen and NO buttons on the remote function except going back to iTV mode. I had to unplug the receiver and plug it back in to correct the issue, guide data had to be redownloaded.

3. Occasionally while switching to another program, I get no audio. Switching to different channel, then back again corrected the issue.

4. I noticed some audio synchronization problems. Not yet sure if it's with particular channels, or just happens randomly.

5. Caller ID feature doesn't work (name/number does not appear on screen even after enabling the feature in the menus).

·
Registered
4 Posts
5220 Review

Other than the above mentioned issues (which I hope will be resolved by automatic firmware updates), I love the 5200 receiver. This is my first PVR and it's going to change the way I watch TV.

I'll document a few of my findings that I tried to discover elsewhere before I bought my unit. Keep in mind that I'm really enjoying my 5200, but I'll take care to mention all of the caveats as well.

The receiver / dish combo is listed as a 5220, so I was surprised at first to see that my receiver was actually a 5200. I asked Bell and they told me that the additional "20" just means that it comes with a dish.

The PVR features aren't as mature as TiVO, you can only record by time/channel, NOT by keywords. You can't simply tell it to record every episode of Star Trek that comes on, you have to explicitly tell it which channel to record at which time like a VCR, but that's good enough for now. A future firmware update might add recording by keyword. The 5200 records up to 120 hours, depending on how much action is recorded (a high-action movie takes more storage space than a low action movie for example).

The 5200 doesn't support HD, but I believe there is an HD/PVR combo unit coming in the spring, but that's too far off for me to wait.

I have two TVs hooked up to the receiver. The second TV is hooked up using a basic coax cable for both audio and video, so you probably won't get 5.1 channel sound in the second room. The video on the second TV looks sharp. You *could* hook up the second TV with RCA audio/video cables, but good luck at finding a 50ft cable.

The main TV is hooked up with S-Video (the 5200 doesn't have component video outputs, even though the manual repeatedly indicates that it does), and optical audio which is awesome (though there are only a few programs that actually deliver 5.1 audio). The higher-end video and audio cables are NOT supplied, you have to buy them separately. They give you basic RCA audio/video cables, which I don't use.

I have not found a way to switch between single mode and dual mode using either remote, you have to press a button on the front panel of the receiver itself. Single mode is very cool since it allows you to use picture-in-picture and record 2 programs while watching a third, so I'd really like the ability to switch to single mode using the remote when no one is watching the second TV.

The UHF remote seems to work fine between floors, etc.

Other than that, you can see exactly which inputs/outputs it has by viewing the above posted PDF file. The USB port is currently non-functional (as far as I know), but I hope to one day be able to offload recorded video to my computer for DVD burning, etc.

That's all I've got for now. All said, this receiver simply kicks butt. Hope this is helpful for prospective buyers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I made a boo boo

I was under the impression that the 5220 was an HD receiver, but now I'm not so sure. Can somebody help me out? I could have sworn it was and that there was one DVI out and one component out. I am having this sinking feeling that I've screwed up (install date supposed to be on Wednesday the 10th. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You did - YOU DID make a boo-boo.
The 5200 is SD; the HDPVR from BEV is (was) going to be the 9100 - now it's release is totally in question - varying news on whether it's canceled or to be released in January.

·
Banned
173 Posts
RE: 5200 Issues

Now a new added issue. Seems the Themes selection doesn't show any programs. I can search by title/info but select movies and no selection is shown.

Yes interactive features lock when you "exit" ITV. Also I was going to try and watch "making the Cut" interactive and it seemed ok but I had no TV picture in the box just interation with player profiles...etc.

How can we tell if they have updated the firmware?

Thnx
Bill

1 - 20 of 344 Posts