Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone still have audio hiccups through the Dolby digital audio output?
I still get them when the encoding is DD2.0 (even after the last update).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toshiba TV/Vcr ir sensor not working now

We've had our ExpressVu 4100 for about a month. The tech set it up and set the remote to work our Toshiba VCR combo and it was working great from the ExpressVu remote for about a week. Now the remote won't work and won't reset and the original TV remote won't work either. So we can't work the sound for the TV or program the VCR, etc from either remote now. Worked fine until we got ExpressVu. Of course, when I call Bell ExpressVu, they claim it must just be a coincidence that our Toshiba remote sensor is no longer working. This isn't a very old TV, maybe 3 yrs old.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this type of thing happen or heard of it or know if it is possible for the ExV. remote to screw up the Toshiba? Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is almost impossible, if not impossible, for your BEV remote to screw up your TV remote.

I test remotes for Universal Remote Control in the U.S., so I know a little about this.

Have you taken the batteries out of both remotes for about a half hour and then replaced them with good quality fresh batteries?

You'd be surprised what that can correct.

Greg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, just picked on up today. Just wondering how you know when a movie/show is in 5.1 surround. Are there lots of 5.1 surround programs, cause my DD reciever only has 1 input, which currently is in use by my PS2. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
using vcr

can i record a program using a regular vcr, and watch another program @ the same time. i have a 4100 receiver. i tried phoning bev, they having got a clue???? what his going on. vcr is working fine am able to record with no problem:confused:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Snoopy,

The 4100 only has one tuner so you can't tune to two channels at once. (i.e./ you can't watch one show and record another)

The use of a VCR with BEV is well documented in the Bev manuals and in existing threads in this forum so please reviewing the manual and then searching the forums for additional details..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks...new to all this. We have a 4 receiver setup, on a multi-receiver dish (we live in a condo), but when we originally set it up, only had 1 receiver available...the other 3 were to be delivered next week. We setup #1, and all is fine. Now, I have the other receivers, and on my attempt to plug in #2...I'm not sure what's going on.
Issues:
- originally plugged unit in, turned on, it went through a process of "finding the satellite signal" indicating satellite EV91, transponder 32 or 24, progress 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc...
- then that cleared and it was "downloading the interactive application" (message listed as #342 in the top right corner)
- after quite some time, that cleared and now it was "downloading the guide" I believe....after more than 3.5 hrs, this still showed 0 progress (there was a progress bar at the bottom of the screen). I decided something must be hung up, so I stopped monitoring this, and was able to go into the MENU and look around. Signal strength, all that.

I ended up turning off the machine because I had to go to bed (it was about 2:30am by this time)

This morning, I turned it on, it did it's same first analysis again (finding signal, the 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc)....but NOW, it reads ERROR 004, about doing a CHECK SWITCH...the problem is....at this stage, I cannot use the MENU Button or anything else on the remote...I can't cancel the error message, or "OK" it...it just stays on the screen...so I can't even do the CHECK SWITCH test.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to call Skydish to get this 2nd (and then #3, and #4) all inialized or something?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Had same problem. Four units bought and activated all at once. Took several weeks to get all cables run. Ended up having to call to get each unit re-activated individually as they were connected. Real pain spending 45 minutes each time when all were supposed to be done at once. Might be same problem ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also own the 4100, when I bought it 2 months ago everything worked fine,except the guide is way too white. Now when I jump to certain channels,there is no sound. The only way to get sound back is to channel up or down,and then go to back to that channel? Obviously there are bugs in this unit,just hope it doesnt get any worse. I also notice that when u turn it off, it stays fairly warm,almost hot, anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
372 Posts
no audio

Ziggy 444, Yes I also noticed no audio issue sometimes. Changing channel then going back also works for me too. I have my unit set to dolby digital. Not that Xvue offers many broadcast that way anyhow !
Heat build up hear also. I moved unit to sit on a seldom used dvd player so not to have two working unit on top of each other.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The heat is normal for this unit. I am also having these audio issues. Is anyone's audio glitching on Dolby Digital 2.0 shows? For example the music channel BPM broadcasts in DD2.0.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a question on my 4100. The installers hooked the thing up through the coax cable connection. I then went back and hooked up my VCR to the audio/video connections. Later I switch TV's to one that has super VHS plug so I hooked up the STB to the TV through that cable. The big problem is that I have no more audio cannects to pass the audio to the TV. Is the best answer going to be to put y connectors on the audio cable so that I can double up on the audio connection. I see they have optical, but I don't have any thing to hook this up to.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I've read through this thread, but in general, is the 4100 with whatever the latest software is, reliable? I'm about to purchase three of them for very non technical people. Just need a basic reliable receiver. Does the 4100 fit the bill?

-Mike

·
Registered
372 Posts
Reliable, yes

They are compact, easy to set up, and basic enough for our granparents to use. On top of that those of us with a ht set up they are DD 5.1. At !00.00 per they are also cheap if you want to own it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey!

I just got my 4100 hooked up. I am totally new to DSS.

They hooked it up just using the coax to my TV and I find it a very soft image. I was on Shaw.

Do you think that when I hook up S-Video tomorrow that I should have a sharper image?

I tried playing with the Sharpness control on my TV, but even at its highest setting, it was still not as sharp as even most of the Shaw analog channels.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hooked S-Video up and the picture still seems pretty soft to me.

Plus, I can't control the anything on my TV set, including the volume.

And the IPG is horrrible!

One BIG gripe!! You can only have ONE reminder per time slot!!!

With my cable, I could set 2 or 3 reminders for the same time slot when I wasn' sure which show I wanted to watch, and it would remind me 1 to 15 minutes early, depending upon how long I set it for, and then I could select from any of the shows right up until the were finished.

This is could be a deal breaker for me!

Arrrrrrrrrrggghhh!

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Universal remote control code

Does anyone know what the universal remote control code is for the 4100. I tried all the codes but none seem to work. So now I need to enter the sat remote code into the tv remote. Quite a pain! Any help would be greatly appreciated>

·
Registered
301 Posts
UPDATE:

1) Operator error with remote and volume problem! Doh!

2) Played around with adjustments on Sony Wega HD TV and am very happy with the SD channels now.

3) I see many people saying that their 4100 is very, very hot. Mine is hardly luke warm, even after playing for hours.

4) I don't have the problem with the sound drop out, although I haven't tried he optical cable yet.

Basically, other than having to put my sunglasses on just before I go to the program guide, I am very happy with my little 4100.

Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
GregoriusM said:
UPDATE:

1) Operator error with remote and volume problem! Doh!

2) Played around with adjustments on Sony Wega HD TV and am very happy with the SD channels now.

3) I see many people saying that their 4100 is very, very hot. Mine is hardly luke warm, even after playing for hours.

4) I don't have the problem with the sound drop out, although I haven't tried he optical cable yet.

Basically, other than having to put my sunglasses on just before I go to the program guide, I am very happy with my little 4100.

Greg
Greg,

Can you tell us which "adjustments" you made that changed your SD picture from "pretty soft" to something you are "very happy" with. I keep wondering whether there is something more I can do. Thanks

21 - 40 of 285 Posts