Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well unless it was the batteries in BOTH his remotes at the same time, I think that was highly doubtful. Don't forget, he has it working again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
4100 Issues

I have a 4100 where it had been working fine but now on certain channels (e.g. DIY) the screen comes up stating that the satellite has lost the signal. It does this for a handful of channels and the rest are fine.

I did a check switch and it says that there is an issue, but I have no switch just two receivers (the other is a 3500).

The connections are all fine ... could this be a 4100 going bye bye?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Have you moved the 4100 recently, perhaps close to an older CRT TV set?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi again. No, I have had the 4100 for 3 years now and it sits beside an LCD tv and has the entire 3 years.

How can I tell if it is the receiver that is the issue? I checked all the connections. Is it common for them to suddenly fail?

On then channels I do get the signal strength is 100% and on those where the message comes up that it has lost the signal it is 0%.

I can no longer get channels like DIY, TSN, Sportsnet, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Switch the 3500 and 4100. If the 4100 still has the problem you know it's the receiver. If the 3500 now has the problem, it's something with the line from the dish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just noticed that the channels that are not coming in are all on even numbered transponders? Does that mean something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Normally that indicates a splitter on the coax line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A splitter? The cable comes from the dish in to the house and connects directly to the receiver. Nothing has changed that way in 3 years.

Could it be a bad connection somewhere or the receiver itself?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It could be a be a bad connection, or it could be the receiver. Swapping the 3500 and 4100 is the easiest way to determine what it is.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
We are seeing quite a few issues lately where water has got into the RG6 cable and frozen, bursting the jacket, then thawing and creating reception issues, so that could be something else to look for, a split in the cable jacket.

As JoeLouie says, take the 4100 to the 3500 location, see if it works OK, that will at least tell you if it is the receiver or the line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks JoeLouise and Pinza.

I will try swapping the receivers and see what the results are. I will say that this morning when I turned on the 4100 it came up with an "internal error" and I had to press select so that it would go through a setup and download the guide.

Once that was all done it came back with channels, still not those other channels on the even transponders though.

I will also get the ladder out and check the cable again ... dish is on the roof, so I have been unable to check it for the last day or so due to rain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Let us know what happens when you swap the receivers over.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My apologies Pinza as I was unable to do the receiver swap over the weekend due to issues with my son's car. I had gotten to the point of tracing the rg6 all the way back to the dish and did not find any crack, tears or visible issues - all connections are tight as well.

I hope to get to the receivers this week ... the 3500 is in a tight spot and not easy to get at to disconnect and reconnect (short cables).

The one change is that the odd transponder channels that are coming in are pixelating a lot now and the channel will go way periodically while the even transponders remain unavailable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, swapped the receivers finally. The 3500 worked perfectly with the line from the 4100 while the 4100 had the same issues with the line from the 3500.

I am thinking for sure now it is the receiver. How often do receivers up and die? Weird.

I will add that last night the 4100 went totally dead for a bit and then came back with the odd transponders working again, but pixelating.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Silly question ... my dish is not setup for HD but I know that no one sells non HD receivers any longer. Can I hook up an HD receiver with the current setup and the display is non HD and all is well? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It does sound like the end of the road for the 4100.

Yes, an HD Receiver will work fine on a 91 only setup.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could always try to find a used 4100 around somewhere. I see them posted on kijiji all the time. Just be careful that you check that it can actually be activated before you buy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4100, missing channels

Hi all, sorry if this question is in the wrong place.
We have lost a number of channels but still have most. satellite 91 and even numbered transponders seem to be the ones missing, the good lady's favourites as always. Bell say it is a problem with the hardware but if so why do we still get a lot of the channels. Solutions if possible please. Have tried reboots and card removal and switch offs.
Vic in snowy Manitoba.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Has anything changed with the cabling recently? Loosing evens is quite often due to a splitter in the line. Is the 4100 sat on top of or very close to an older CRT TV by any chance?

After that I would be looking at water ingress into the cables, check connectors outside and at any switch's etc.

221 - 240 of 285 Posts