Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems like a sudden departure. He'll land somewhere, I'm sure. Doesn't feel like it bodes well for Aston Martin this year, though.
I haven't dug into it, but I read somewhere about rumors of him going to Alpine had surfaced at points last year.

I also saw a discussion debating whether the fact a guy was brought in for duties not really related to F1, but was inserted between LS and OS constituted a demotion, and whether that impacted the decision to leave.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This was predictable, inevitable, and necessary to establish trust in the role. He would have been a lame duck in that role if a change had not been made. I hope he land on a useful role within the FIA.

The new joint race directors and the VRCR will be under extreme scrutiny and hopefully this will lead to consistent and fair rulings. They would be helped if virtual electronic track limits were implemented.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And Haas has signed Kevin Magnussen to replace him :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Geez, what’s happened to Aston Martin, particularly Sebastian Vettel? It’s like he doesn’t want to be in F1 anymore, or he’s trying to get fired. Lawrence Stroll must be losing it. To think they cut Perez loose…

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That seems like a sudden departure. He'll land somewhere, I'm sure. Doesn't feel like it bodes well for Aston Martin this year, though.
Looks like Alpine has picked things up, while Aston, not so much. Maybe this is why Vettel’s acting like his career is over.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Yup. Just look at this weekend. Alonso had some bad luck but Alpine was in the thick of it much of the race and clearly have pace. Aston is nowhere, with Stroll being a menace out there in a way that even Mazepin rarely was. Vettel looks like he checked out, probably because he realizes this car is going nowhere this year and he's not going to get a ride anywhere else.

Last year they got dinged hard by the rule changes, but this year there's no excuse. It's a disaster for a team that for years punched well above their weight.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yup, Aston Martin did not get the design right after the rule changes this year. I have never been a Vettel fan and think that his best before date expired in his last year with Ferrari, but I will cut him some slack this year after missing 2 races due to COVID-19 and then virtually no free practice running. Would not be surprised if this is his last year in F1.

The team is in trouble as the repairs after all the crashes will significantly impact their development due to budget cap.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yup, Aston Martin did not get the design right after the rule changes this year. I have never been a Vettel fan and think that his best before date expired in his last year with Ferrari, but I will cut him some slack this year after missing 2 races due to COVID-19 and then virtually no free practice running. Would not be surprised if this is his last year in F1.

The team is in trouble as the repairs after all the crashes will significantly impact their development due to budget cap.
But it does seem Lawrence Stroll is all in, taking a stake in Aston Martin and bringing in Whitmarsh etc. Whatever happened between the team and Szafnauer seems to be the undoing...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts