81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
It would have been unlikely. Let’s not forget that most track marshalls are volunteers, and they have day jobs to go back to on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is true. I'm accustomed to golf tournaments extending, but it's a whole other animal in terms of volunteers and training required.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote by Hamilton at two interviews.. "This was terrible for the fans. I hope they get their money back". I wonder if he was also offering to give up a days pay towards those refunds?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
He recently pledged 20mill for British Motorsport, his pet charity, so why not. Put your money where your mouth is, Lewis. You can afford it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote by Hamilton at two interviews.. "This was terrible for the fans. I hope they get their money back". I wonder if he was also offering to give up a days pay towards those refunds?
On the one hand I agree, Hamilton should put his money where his mouth is. At the same time, he would be bailing out those who actually should be paying for this. Hamilton makes a lot of money. The FIA etc. make a ton of it. The promoters pay huge fees to host a race.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It would have been unlikely. Let’s not forget that most track marshalls are volunteers, and they have day jobs to go back to on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True. But with the money F1 rakes in, maybe it’s time they start employing marshall’s. I’m not a Lewis Hamilton fan, but he had it dead to right when he said “give the fans their money back”.
Exactly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure who will be the most entertaining interview now that Raikkonen is retiring. His don't give a flip attitude is refreshing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
He recently pledged 20mill for British Motorsport, his pet charity, so why not. Put your money where your mouth is, Lewis. You can afford it.
Why would Hamilton need to bail out a multibillion dollar corporation? This line of thinking is utter nonsense.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Verstaopen penalized three grid spots for accident. Because it was his fault. I’m no Hamilton fan, but go back to the start of Verstappen’s career and see who’s crashed out of races more often…

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I thought the stewards explained that penalty pretty well. Verstappen never backs off, even when he's in a bad position and should live to fight another day. He always assumes the other person will get out of his way. In the past Hamilton did, because they were never really directly fighting each other for the title and it wasn't worth the risk.

Now that they are directly fighting, Hamilton can't afford to just move out of Verstappen's way every time he comes charging in.

Thankfully the halo was there for this one, or that could have been disastrous.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So first he drills one of his pit crew in FP2, and then destroys his front wing while pitting. Quite the weekend so far for Hamilton.

He will need to be real careful in turn 1 tomorrow. He's in the middle of a bunch of guys who will be going for it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hamilton Still managed to win the race after Lando got fixated on staying out no matter what and McLaren wasn't direct enough in calling him in.

Was a pretty wild race, really. Especially for Sochi.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hard to believe I ever find myself hoping for rain, but rain at Socchi made it interesting.

How about Verstappen limiting the damage? Take the engine penalty since they figured this track didn't suit them anyway, finish second.

Gutted for Norris though. Yes it is on him for wanting to stay out, but man, another race winner would have been great to see.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I sometimes get carried away thinking that the outcome of races like these do not reflect the "proper" result, and it would be equivalent to just rolling the dice to select a winner. Then I check myself and remember that there are many factors involved in the race such as drivers judgement, tire management, car control skill, and the ability to adapt to the circumstances presented to them at every second of the race. The rain is just an element of uncertainty that they must react and adapt to.

It is my impression that Lewis has the lions share of luck (how many times has he punted a RB driver and come out without a scratch), but in reality he is extremely skillful and crafty..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
More engine penalties for the race today, with Ricciardo and Saitz going to the back. So much of that this year, I really don't think three engines is enough for how much longer the season is now than when that rule was originally concieved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
More engine penalties for the race today, with Ricciardo and Saitz going to the back. So much of that this year, I really don't think three engines is enough for how much longer the season is now than when that rule was originally concieved.
It's almost as though it was manufactured for drama. Interesting how Hamilton had only an ICE replacement, and not entire power unit, and thus only had a 10 place grid penalty.

I'm assuming this was originally a bit of a rule to keep the richer teams somewhat in check?

81 - 100 of 101 Posts