Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I recorded everything I suspected might be Friday's "Qualifying" and Saturday's "Sprint Qualifying" leading up to the British Grand Prix. The Sprint Qualifying on TSN4 at 11:30 am turned out to be golf. The Sprint Qualifying at 10:40 on TSN5 was the real thing, preceded by pre-race stuff, starting about 50 minutes in.

So how do you like the new qualifying format? I was prepared to be skeptical, but in fact I really liked it. I'm old-school and remember the old time-trial/heat/final format.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recorded everything I suspected might be Friday's "Qualifying" and Saturday's "Sprint Qualifying" leading up to the British Grand Prix. The Sprint Qualifying on TSN4 at 11:30 am turned out to be golf. The Sprint Qualifying at 10:40 on TSN5 was the real thing, preceded by pre-race stuff, starting about 50 minutes in.

So how do you like the new qualifying format? I was prepared to be skeptical, but in fact I really liked it. I'm old-school and remember the old time-trial/heat/final format.
I don't go back far enough(only really got into it about 5-6 years ago) to know what I didn't know, but it was a good change of pace. I don't think you would ever want to do something like this at a place like Monaco. I would be up for a quarter/third of races using this as qualifying. Being something of a Ricciardo fan, I think he benefited from it. Leclerc as well.

With track position being so important a lot of weeks(every week?), I'm not sure how I feel about diminishing the ability to throw down a perfect lap to get on pole/high up the grid. But as I said, I don't know what I don't know. I don't dislike it. And I was pleasantly surprised that guys did seem to get after it rather than play it safe. And while I'm not sure it was hugely in play today(although I was a bit distracted so maybe it was), but I think the free tire choice adds a potential element of excitement.

All I know is I was amazed at the flames coming out of Verstappen's front left wheel on the start line.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Pros:
  • more action than a boring free practice
  • now have a feature on every day, Quali on Fri, Sprint on Sat, and Race on Sun
  • an opportunity to see drivers push to the limit for more than one lap (no pit stop strategy, minimum saving tyres)
  • eliminates funny rule about top 10 having to start the race on Sunday with the tyres used for fastest lap in Q2

Cons:
  • potential to lose drivers who crash and cars cannot be repaired in time for Sunday
  • incidents that put drivers out of normal position, e.g., Perez

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So Sebastien Vettel was disqualified after his second place finish today because he didn't have 1 litre of fuel left in his tank for the FIA test. Surely he can appeal that decision in view of the length of the race.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So Sebastien Vettel was disqualified after his second place finish today because he didn't have 1 litre of fuel left in his tank for the FIA test. Surely he can appeal that decision in view of the length of the race.
They have filed a notice of appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The FIA really must HATE Lance Stroll's dad for some reason. Ever since he took over Force India, they've given him nothing but grief. lol.
I guess they don't want some upity Canadian playing in their Euro pool. HAAS doesn't count because, well, they suck, so they're no worry.

From the article:

"Not every car is checked after every race or every session, so there may well have been cases where drivers didn't have a big enough sample left, but they still retained their points. "

But they decided to test Vettel's car (the second time in his career that's happened apparently). It really is turning me off F1

·
Super Moderator
56,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
When Vettel stopped on his in-lap I was immediately concerned for his results as this has happened in the past, not only to Vettel. Anyone stopping on the in-lap will be tested per the rules and as discussed in the article.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yeah, the whole thing of "we're disqualifying you because we can't get 1L of fuel out of the tank despite not checking every car for that" while also saying "sure you've knocked your only title contender out of two races in a row (and will trigger engine related grid penalties in a third) by playing bumper cars, but we'll just give you a slap on the wrist and call it a day."

The punishments the FIA is handing out do not fit the crimes and are making a farce of the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The penalty situation this season has gotten silly. Vettel gets disqualified for that. Bottas takes three cars out including both cars from the only other team in the championship and gets a 5 place penalty...which is less than the cars that were taken out are going to get in grid penalties due to having to replaced the damaged power units.

Talk about perverse outcomes.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You didn't miss anything. Bottas and Russel were both asked about it and both have nothing to say.

There's speculation Merc is dragging out making a decision because if they're cutting Bottas loose, he has no reason to play the wingman for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You didn't miss anything. Bottas and Russel were both asked about it and both have nothing to say.

There's speculation Merc is dragging out making a decision because if they're cutting Bottas loose, he has no reason to play the wingman for the rest of the season.
As BS a move that would be, I suppose I can understand it. Seems like a load of crap to do that to him, but they must have some insight to suggest he would do exactly that. He has seemed to be somewhat a team player the last few races.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Toto Wolff confirmed the decision is made.
Mercedes is simply waiting for the left out driver to have his 2022 deal signed before he makes the announcement.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have never seen that before. I wonder if a Monday race would have been possible were they not racing again next weekend somewhere else?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have never seen that before. I wonder if a Monday race would have been possible were they not racing again next weekend somewhere else?
It would have been unlikely. Let’s not forget that most track marshalls are volunteers, and they have day jobs to go back to on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 101 Posts