Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The last couple of races have really pushed Schumacher (really, his first name is censored?) up the order as rookie of the year so far. Yeah, it's slim pickings, but he is in a terrible car and just goes out and quietly gets what he can out of it. He's destroying his hilariously overmatched teammate and otherwise not causing a lot of drama.

Yuki showed real speed to start the season but hasn't been consistent and you don't get very far in Red Bull by trashing the team in public. Especially since the idea that there would be any institutional bias over him towards Gasly is downright comical.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Turkey is replacing Canada on the calendar
Turkey now cancelled

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Rogers guide has been off by an hour for both FP2 and Qualifying at Azerbaijan. If you're PVR'ing the race you may want to program it to start an hour early

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not just Rogers. Maybe it's Sportsnet, or whoever generates the listings, getting the time zone wrong. I have IPTV from Execulink and my scheduled recording of Qualy began half-way through Q2. Fortunately I can go back 24 in the guide and catch anything I've missed. I did see promos from Sportsnet saying the Race was at 6:30 am ET, so I went and scheduled the Pre Race show at 6:30.

·
Super Moderator
56,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Discussed in the following Rogers Forum thread posts 214->

TSN had the correct information all week. Rogers corrected the information for IgniteTV and AnyPlace and for the Race, but still had incorrect information for P2 and Qualy on their Legacy Digital Cable PVR guides.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The rumors of Vettel's demise may have been premature. 5th last race, podium today. Some luck involved in podium, sure, but think he is getting the feel of the car.

Looks like Perez has got the car down. Not sure if Bottas is getting the short end from Mercedes. Apparently had a larger wing, which helped in some ways but hurt in other ways, and hurt him far more than Hamilton's setup.

Interesting decision to red flag at the end. More interesting that Red Bull suggested it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's likely an opinion that will come true. Bottas has turned into the Albon/Gasly of this season in that he has not really been a help to Hamilton. In fairness to him, he has his own ambitions, and has stated he was going to pursue them.

Perhaps the reason we haven't heard "Valtteri, It's James..." is because they know it would be no use.

It would put Mercedes possibly in a pickle. Because if Bottas goes, then who? Obvious answer is Russell, but I highly doubt he will want to play support to Hamilton if he sticks around. So do you put yourself in the same position only with Russell instead? Would someone sign on as a hired gun for a year or two to bridge that gap? I think they view Russell as their future, but who knows when the future has to become the present?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Aston Martin had a good strategy going until Pirelli ruined the race. And yes, Vettel seems to be making some small moves. Hopefully he can make Lance faster...

·
Registered
338 Posts
If Hamilton stay, I still see Bottas with Mercedes in 2022.

Toto doesn’t want another Hamilton vs Rosberg. Unless it’s is only option, Russell won’t get the seat for as long Hamilton is there. Bottas’ job is safe as long as he’s doing good as #2 driver. Yeah, he had 1 bad weekend, 1 ! What about the rest of the year so far ?
  • Bahrain: Finished on the podium, took the fastest lap. That’s good.
  • Emilia Romagna: Ok bad race, but he was part of the crash that saved Hamilton‘s day. If Bottas had a decent day, would the crash happened ? Bad performance, but saved Mercedes’ drive for the Drivers’ Title for that day.
  • Portugal: Finished on the podium, took the fastest lap away from Red Bull. That’s good.
  • Spain: Took the option of the winning 2-stop strategy away from Red Bull and Verstappen. That’s good.
  • Monaco: He was going for P2 while Hamilton would have been P8 if he didn’t had that mechanical issue he’s not responsible for. Can’t complain about him.
So, we’ll talk about Bottas being fired after France and Austria, when he’ll had more than just 1 bad weekend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If Hamilton stay, I still see Bottas with Mercedes in 2022.

Toto doesn’t want another Hamilton vs Rosberg. Unless it’s is only option, Russell won’t get the seat for as long Hamilton is there. Bottas’ job is safe as long as he’s doing good as #2 driver. Yeah, he had 1 bad weekend, 1 ! What about the rest of the year so far ?
  • Bahrain: Finished on the podium, took the fastest lap. That’s good.
  • Emilia Romagna: Ok bad race, but he was part of the crash that saved Hamilton‘s day. If Bottas had a decent day, would the crash happened ? Bad performance, but saved Mercedes’ drive for the Drivers’ Title for that day.
  • Portugal: Finished on the podium, took the fastest lap away from Red Bull. That’s good.
  • Spain: Took the option of the winning 2-stop strategy away from Red Bull and Verstappen. That’s good.
  • Monaco: He was going for P2 while Hamilton would have been P8 if he didn’t had that mechanical issue he’s not responsible for. Can’t complain about him.
So, we’ll talk about Bottas being fired after France and Austria, when he’ll had more than just 1 bad weekend.
Agree with what you say. The only hiccup could possibly be that Wolff is Russell's agent apparently as well. (Better not to look at all conflicts of interest in F1... :ROFLMAO:). Does Russell get an offer from another team, or does his contract only allow movement to Mercedes?

I think the other problem will be with the fact Bottas wants nothing to do with being the #2 driver. He does not want to be working for Hamilton. You could end up with a lesser Hamilton-Rosberg feud, without Rosberg's results. BOttas has done good team work, but I don't think it has been from his intentions. Street courses haven't been good for Mercedes, so yes, a couple of closed tracks will tell more. But Bottas better be qualifying high.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Vettel has recently been praised for his work ethic by Christian and Otmar (on F1 News). Could this may account for his resurgence. I wonder if he had not been allowed have these detailed debriefs in the last year or more with Ferrari. That would go a lot way to explain his lack or performance and motivation. Maybe I wrote him off too soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vettel has recently been praised for his work ethic by Christian and Otmar (on F1 News). Could this may account for his resurgence. I wonder if he had not been allowed have these detailed debriefs in the last year or more with Ferrari. That would go a lot way to explain his lack or performance and motivation. Maybe I wrote him off too soon.
Vettel did have something going on. After crashing out at Hockenheim in 2018, he had something holding him back. Until they were caught, they had the car to compete with Merc, but he was just that bit off. Then the way he was fired last year, I would not be surprised if he "mailed it in" as it were. (Not really mailing it in, but not working as hard.) Plus, Ferrari has been a dumpster fire of a team for a while now. He likely did not get the type of info he gets now.

The guy I'm starting to worry about a bit is Ricciardo. Sainz did say the McLaren was a peculiar car to drive. He really showed his class after a few races with Renault, in a lesser car. Not sure what is holding him back, but with Sainz and Vettel especially really getting the measure of their cars, it's not encouraging if it's still taking him time to get it down.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think Vettel, and Ferrari, went in the tank when Sergio Merchionne died. Up to that point they were making strides.

·
Super Moderator
18,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The guy I'm starting to worry about a bit is Ricciardo. Sainz did say the McLaren was a peculiar car to drive. He really showed his class after a few races with Renault, in a lesser car. Not sure what is holding him back, but with Sainz and Vettel especially really getting the measure of their cars, it's not encouraging if it's still taking him time to get it down.
All of the drivers in new cars this year are having a hard time adjusting. I've read them say that the lack of testing and practice time this season is really causing issues. Perez said they only get a handful of high fuel laps at a GP weekend during practice, so you can't really try that much setup wise. They lost a lot of testing time that would normally be used to get up to speed with new machinery, and that's all happening during races now instead.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's likely an opinion that will come true. Bottas has turned into the Albon/Gasly of this season in that he has not really been a help to Hamilton. In fairness to him, he has his own ambitions, and has stated he was going to pursue them.

Perhaps the reason we haven't heard "Valtteri, It's James..." is because they know it would be no use.

It would put Mercedes possibly in a pickle. Because if Bottas goes, then who? Obvious answer is Russell, but I highly doubt he will want to play support to Hamilton if he sticks around. So do you put yourself in the same position only with Russell instead? Would someone sign on as a hired gun for a year or two to bridge that gap? I think they view Russell as their future, but who knows when the future has to become the present?
The problem is Russel's contract is expiring at Williams. He doesn't want to stay there for a bunch more years until Hamilton feels like moving on, as he could wind up being Ocon where he's the "Merc guy in waiting that never actually gets promoted" by doing that.

Merc can bring him up now and secure the future, or they can try to stick him somewhere else to continue keeping Bottas around, which isn't really working out that well anymore. Russel is likely to be the guy there once Hamilton goes, they don't want to lose him.

IMO the best thing to do is bring him up and just deal with issues with Hamilton (who probably doesn't have that many years left anyway) rather than risk going the other way, especialy nwo that Red Bull is bringing the fight to them. They need the best drivers in those seats to compete.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts