Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The calendar has been updated for 2021 after Australia being moved to November. See link below:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lewis Hamilton signed a one-year deal with Mercedes today.

I wonder if it is him retiring from his role as a driver, or is he considering going to another team for 2022 onwards…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts

Just wanted to tell that Discovery Velocity and V Channel were added alongside RDS/RDS2 and TSN as Canadian broadcasters.

What could be on Discovery Velocity ? I guess it could be a simple simulcast of TSN (like for Formula E), it could be the bonus feeds (like RDS2 had last year) or it could just be where F1 would be if TSN don’t have a feed available (during the Olympics for example).

For V Channel, I guess it’s Noovo actually, Bell Media’s new French-language OTA channel. It was called V Télé before it was renamed last year. I guess RDS’ coverage could be there for the Canadian GP.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them splitting coverage between Discovery Velocity and TSN so you have to subscribe to both.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Has anyone tried the F1.TV subscription? Besides the additional technical data provided, and lack of ads, is there race commentary and by whom? I have seen reports that there are connection and reliability issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Has anyone tried the F1.TV subscription? Besides the additional technical data provided, and lack of ads, is there race commentary and by whom? I have seen reports that there are connection and reliability issues.
I used it last year, and I will this year. Last year, I could AirPlay the broadcast through QuickTime Player to my TV, but it doesn't seem like it is possible anymore.

I only had connection issues during the second or third race of the season, that were caused by a disruption at Lumen Technologies (formerly Level 3 Communications and CenturyLink). Otherwise, it was rock solid for me.

One of the race commentary channels was by Sky Sports F1, the same broadcast you would get on TSN minus the adverts. I believe there is a second commentary channel that broadcasts a different video feed and has a different commentary team, I haven't looked at it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I watched the 2020 season on the PLC (Pit Lane Channel), a split screen between the main feed plus 2 onboards at all time and a different commentary from FOM. Last year, it was the same duo as for F2: Alex Jacques and, for most rounds, Alex Brundle.

But, Jacques left to be the new lead commentator for Channel 4, the other British broadcaster, this year. He confirmed he’ll be back for F2 with FOM, but he won’t be able to continue on the PLC. FOM didn’t announced, yet, who will replace him.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
OK. Just signed up for a basic monthly subscribed and watched one race from 2020 and part of practice from last Sunday. There were no connectivity or performance issues.

However, I was not able to AirPlay from my iPhone to my ATV+. There are suggestions that a native app for the ATV+ is coming. My interim solution is to cable connect my PC to the TV producing a 4K stream. This means that I cannot use the PC at the same time. Will likely go for the premium subscription when the ATV+ app is released.

·
Super Moderator
18,695 Posts
BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX action begins on TSN with Practice on Friday, March 26 at 10:45 a.m. ET, followed by Qualifying on Saturday, March 27 at 10 a.m. ET. Race day coverage begins Sunday, March 28 at 9:30 a.m. ET.

TSN and TSN Direct subscribers have access to bonus F1 live feeds available through the networks’ digital platforms, including the Multiplex player on TSN.ca and the TSN app. These feeds include:
  • Select Onboard Cameras
  • Pit Lane Channel
  • Driver Tracker
  • Timing Channel
As the exclusive English-language home of Formula 1 in Canada, TSN’s multi-platform coverage features live race content for all 23 races. Exclusive French-language coverage of the 2021 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP season is available on RDS. (Press Release)

I noticed that Bell Fibe TV subscribers also have the 4 bonus channels on their PVR.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I got an offer for a free 7 day preview of F1 TV Pro, which would cover the opening race. Not sure how widely available it is aside from people on the email list, but might be worth a look for those curious about the service. Found it here: https://www.formula1.com/en/subscri..._term=20210324_F1TVProSell_FreeTrial_EN#en-CA

I also got one saying Chromecast and Airplay support were finally coming this year, but that doesn't seem to be in time for this race. (edit - Chromecast is working from the website, at least.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot to thank you for a free 7-day preview, and specifically registered on the forum for that when I found it :) Thanks, Tridus!

·
Super Moderator
56,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
If Vettel doesn't perform soon, AM have a plan?

I don't think so. They'd have signed him if they wanted him driving. Hulk should have a seat on the grid, IMHO, but the reality is not every driver is there completely on merit. But I don't think he is being brought in to unseat Vettel in a few races. I think they'd never be able to sign another top driver if they pulled that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I don't think so. They'd have signed him if they wanted him driving. Hulk should have a seat on the grid, IMHO, but the reality is not every driver is there completely on merit. But I don't think he is being brought in to unseat Vettel in a few races. I think they'd never be able to sign another top driver if they pulled that.
You’re assuming Vettel is still a ‘top’ driver. I’m thinking he’s lost it. Maybe they just brought him in to sell street cars in Germany, like Kimi’s doing for Alfa.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I record my predictions before the start of the season for the constructors and drivers championship. Seb is way down the list and below Lance.
Do I think it was a good move to bring him on board? No.
Do I think he will find his form after a few settling in races? No
Do I wish the best for AM? Yes
Do I think they should have kept Perez? Yes
I am happy that Perez got a seat at RB? Absolutely, best progression in his career, and he will do well.
Do I think the Hulk would do better than Seb? Yes
If he does not do well this year will the team drop him or will he retire? Well, Lawrence did not become successful by being a wimp. You perform or you are out. He makes many strategic decision, and not all are right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You’re assuming Vettel is still a ‘top’ driver. I’m thinking he’s lost it. Maybe they just brought him in to sell street cars in Germany, like Kimi’s doing for Alfa.

He may have lost it. But if his whole reason for being in the seat is to sell cars like you say, he's still not going anywhere. I know it's pretty cutthroat, but at the same time, you don't sign a driver of Vettel's stature with a thought of chopping him in season if.... Multiple-time World champions get a certain level of respect in the paddock.

It is tough to say with Vettel. He may have lost it, he may have been driving defensively at Ferrari to get to his next drive. He is learning a new car, and the gaps between races and little testing is not easy. It's always easy to spend someone else's money.... :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts