Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Vettel (Thinking ahead - perhaps one stop?): So, what's the plan for tires?
Ferrari: Silence
Ferrari: Push, Push!
Ferarri: What do you think? Can you make it to the end?
Vettel (to himself). %@#$ing hell... (team Mickey Mouse).
LOL, yeah, that was bizarre wasn't it. Well done again, Racing Point. Man, for some reason, it seems like Sky Sports staff REALLY don't like Lance Strohl, as they talk to Racing Points team director mid-race: "Good start by Lance. Is that instinctive of Lance, or something he and his race engineer would have talked about before hand?" Geez, have these guys been watching the last two years, and not noticed how good he is off the grid? Must be a Commonwealth thing, i.e. those ungrateful deserters... ;)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Ferrari is such a joke right now. I'm pretty firmly on the "fire Binotto" bandwagon after that. The team is going backwards in every way, and actually bothering to talk to your driver about strategy seems a pretty basic thing.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ferrari is such a joke right now. I'm pretty firmly on the "fire Binotto" bandwagon after that. The team is going backwards in every way, and actually bothering to talk to your driver about strategy seems a pretty basic thing.
Even though Marchionne wanted LeClerc, everything else they’ve done since Sergio died has been a loss. But if I’m Racing Point, I wouldn’t be as interested in Vettel as SkySports seems to believe they are...

·
Registered
98 Posts
LOL, yeah, that was bizarre wasn't it. Well done again, Racing Point. Man, for some reason, it seems like Sky Sports staff REALLY don't like Lance Strohl, as they talk to Racing Points team director mid-race: "Good start by Lance. Is that instinctive of Lance, or something he and his race engineer would have talked about before hand?" Geez, have these guys been watching the last two years, and not noticed how good he is off the grid? Must be a Commonwealth thing, i.e. those ungrateful deserters... ;)
I’ll take a stab on a very plausible reason…

Lawrence Stroll purchased Sahara Force India and then gave a seat to his son, Lance.
Where most, if not all, of the drivers have to prove their worth at some point or another, Lance does not have to because his father owns the team.

If he wants to stand a chance in media’s eyes, he should fly from his own wings by going to an “independent” team, with no involvement from Lawrence.

I’m one of those that question if Lance is a worthy driver, or not. He needs to prove he deserves a seat in Formula One, and he can’t do that at Racing Point.

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I’m one of those that question if Lance is a worthy driver, or not.
He proved that with Williams. He almost always gained places during the race and even got a podium, in a Williams! (missed second by a hair) He's improved his qualifying this year and has performed well against a senior driver ( Perez) who's been with the (RP/FI) team since 2014.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I’ll take a stab on a very plausible reason…

Lawrence Stroll purchased Sahara Force India and then gave a seat to his son, Lance.
Where most, if not all, of the drivers have to prove their worth at some point or another, Lance does not have to because his father owns the team.

If he wants to stand a chance in media’s eyes, he should fly from his own wings by going to an “independent” team, with no involvement from Lawrence.

I’m one of those that question if Lance is a worthy driver, or not. He needs to prove he deserves a seat in Formula One, and he can’t do that at Racing Point.
The days of Kimi getting $20m to finish 15th are over, pretty much. Drivers bring money to the teams, well, far more do than in the past. Daniel Kvyat? Strohl is a F2 champion. Now that he has a worthy car, keep watching. He runs really well in the wet, and launches very well. But back to the money. What F1 team isn’t wildly wealthy? And as far as family relations? If Toto Wolf thought wife Suzy could run in the points every race, she’d be on the short list to replace Hamilton.
I just hope they keep Perez and don‘t chase Vettel, because THEN they’ll have a driver problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Strohl is a F2 champion.
Stroll never drove in F2.
He won Euro F3 (series that merge with GP3 years later to become the current F3) in 2016 with the dominant team (Prema was untouchable back then) being the only one of the team’s 4 drivers with a 2016 car.
Just want to add that he sit out the 2016 Macau GP/F3 World Cup after that title. That was weird that the champion of the biggest F3 series (at that time) didn’t run the biggest race of the year.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Stroll never drove in F2.
He won Euro F3 (series that merge with GP3 years later to become the current F3) in 2016 with the dominant team (Prema was untouchable back then) being the only one of the team’s 4 drivers with a 2016 car.
Just want to add that he sit out the 2016 Macau GP/F3 World Cup after that title. That was weird that the champion of the biggest F3 series (at that time) didn’t run the biggest race of the year.
F3, Sorry, Typo. You missed that I said “Kiki” as well. lol. Fixed that one :) Macau? Is that the race where the young German girl launched into the crowd? So you think Strohl doesn’t deserve a F1 drive?

·
Registered
329 Posts
F3, Sorry, Typo. You missed that I said “Kiki” as well. lol. Fixed that one :) Macau? Is that the race where the young German girl launched into the crowd? So you think Strohl doesn’t deserve a F1 drive?
First, it's Stroll, with 2 L, no H.
Macau ... It's the event a remember for putting Schumacher and Häkkinen on the map before they get to F1.
Do I think others drivers, currently not in F1, deserve a seat more than Stroll ? Definitely, Yes !

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
See, my spelling is terrible today. Must be the heat. The first time I heard of Macau was the crash of Sophia Floersch, F3 driver. What drivers deserve a ride that Stroll doesn't? I could see Roman Grojean being less desireable than Stroll. One thing Stroll doesn't do much; crash!

·
Registered
329 Posts
See, my spelling is terrible today. Must be the heat. The first time I heard of Macau was the crash of Sophia Floersch, F3 driver. What drivers deserve a ride that Stroll doesn't? I could see Roman Grojean being less desireable than Stroll. One thing Stroll doesn't do much; crash!
Pascal Wehrlein ? DTM champion, didn’t get a real good chance in F1 because he was stuck in Mercedes program at a bad time.

Felix Rosenqvist ? Formula E and IndyCar race winner, 2015 Euro F3 champion scoring nearly 300 more points (25 pts/win like in F1) than his teammate Lance Stroll.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Pascal Wehrlein ? DTM champion, didn’t get a real good chance in F1 because he was stuck in Mercedes program at a bad time.

Felix Rosenqvist ? Formula E and IndyCar race winner, 2015 Euro F3 champion scoring nearly 300 more points (25 pts/win like in F1) than his teammate Lance Stroll.
Maybe HAAS should have a look then. Or Renault. Or Alfa.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So today was an absolutely exciting race. The cars got through turn 5 in nearly identical order as the grid, and there wasn't even much in the midfield. The highest level of drama was Vettel and Leclerc nearly taking each other out battling for 13th.

The new Concorde agreement can't come soon enough. For Spa to turn out as boring a race as this....

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
When everyone spends the entire race protecting tyres to get a one stop, this is what you get. No one can actually do anything.

2022's rules changes really need to get here. Shame they were supposed to be 2021's rules changes.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Brilliant race for Stroll and Latifi today, which would have been great if he could have finished 10th for Claire Williams, who is leaving Williams after today. Pit strategy, coincidence, retirements and bonehead moves by Hamilton amongst others made Stroll’s podium possible.
And, in Italy, at Monza, Ferrari’s s#$&-show hits an all time low. The only thing likely stopping riots in the streets are that no fans were there. Sergio Marchionne is still turning in his grave...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Stroll could have won this race with a better restart. Alas. Third is still pretty respectable.
Lol. I know! And Stroll is usually a really good starter, it’s where he often makes up two, three spots. Must have been sheer nerves. But hey, he’s in fourth in the driver’s standings. Not bad for all those people who don’t think he deserves to be there (aka Paul DiResta and most of the SkySports staff). It’s not Stroll’s fault you lost your ride at Williams, DiResta. So far my prediction about Vettel has been on the money: no points this year....

·
Registered
39 Posts
[
Lol. I know! And Stroll is usually a really good starter, it’s where he often makes up two, three spots. Must have been sheer nerves. But hey, he’s in fourth in the driver’s standings. Not bad for all those people who don’t think he deserves to be there (aka Paul DiResta and most of the SkySports staff). It’s not Stroll’s fault you lost your ride at Williams, DiResta. So far my prediction about Vettel has been on the money: no points this year....
Stroll's dad buying a stake in the team had nothing to do with DiResta being replaced? Vettel is already confirmed in that team with Perez if it weren't for that elephant in the room.

Stroll also got bailed out by not needing to actually go into the pits while other guys were driving.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If DiResta was good enough, wouldn't someone have hired him in the last FOUR YEARS, besides the on-air crew? As far as Vettel goes - let's see. If you're hiring, do you hire the guy who's going out badly? I'm not sure if Vettel's time has come possibly. If it were me, I'd keep who they've got already.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DiResta is 34 years old, and does he bring money? A larger percentage, than anyone would care to admit, of the grid is a bought seat. Not saying he is a great driver, but the fact there are other guys teams are going with doesn't negate the fact that if his name was Lance Strong, I'm not sure we ever even hear his name in F1.

Vettel.... tough one. He was starting to make mistakes a couple years ago that blew races he should have won. But Ferrari's treatment of him has been less than stellar, and they have not had a car worth a crap for either driver this year. Given how Hulk drove basically cold in the RP car, Stroll has a better car than Vettel this season for certain. I think Vettel still has something, but he may be ready to move on.

Stroll vs Vettel is moot though, since, well, another L. Stroll signs the checks for that team.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts