Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the official 2010 F1 discussion thread.

Here's a summary of what's airing for F1 during the typical race week:

Speed for Friday Practice

TSN for Saturday Qualifying

Speed for F1 Debrief of the previous race, usually sometime Saturday or Sunday of race weekend.

TSN for the race on Sunday

Speed often, but not always, carries the race tape-delayed and it sometimes is allowed to air later on Sunday, or later in the week, but record TSN Sunday to get the race live.

TSN2 sometimes airs the race tape-delayed later Sunday - I often record this in case the original were to go long or have issues.

Lastly, on Speed - The Speed Report (Sunday evening & Monday morning), which covers various motorsports for the week in an hour.

The Speed Qualifying and Live Race are blacked out because TSN have exclusive rights for those in Canada.

Useful link for Racing TV Schedules:

http://www.racefantv.com/CDNTV.htm

TSN F1 Schedule

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/nascar/feature/?id=11744

The practice, qualifying and races are not true HD because the equipment at the venues is not HD, however the (upconverted widescreen) picture quality on the HD channels is quite good and some people may think that it's true HD. Sometimes Fox will air a race in true HD with their own equipment.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I can't seem to find another news source to confirm, but this morning's Toronto Star Wheel's blog mentioned that changes are being made to this year's race stewarding system wherein one of the stewards will be taken from a pool of 4-5 retired F1 drivers, and a couple of others will be from a pool of 8 permanent stewards.

Big step in a right direction I think, compared to the appointment of seemingly random race stewards from race to race, many of which you have no idea what type of racing experiencing they have to rely on when making judgements.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Given Bernie's age and fact that F1 viewership is in decline, HD and Bernie may never "colide". The sole reason I ever sat down to watch NASCAR was their HD broadcast. I follow F1 since mid 70's and both series now get equal treatment from me. I PVR both, and skip boring parts.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Bahrain practice over. Looking interesting this year. Shumacher is back and he and Rosberg looking very strong in practice. McLaren also looking strong. Very cool aerodynamic innovation this year that they are saying adds 5-6 MPH (!!) on the straights. Should be interesting with the tire degradation that the teams are seeing. Slower teams are a mile back (8-11 seconds per lap down).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I missed practice this morning, on again late tonight on Speed, might record it then.

With the exception of the fact that my favourite driver (Kimi Raikkonen) isn't driving this year, I'm looking forward to this season. It will be interesting to see how the re-invention of Brawn as Mercedes does. They have the two best German drivers in F1, much like how McLaren has the two top British drivers. It seems odd to see the two top teams all with drivers from their home nation.

One thing I noticed about the schedule this year, the Monaco Grand Prix isn't the same weekend as the Indy 500, which sucks because that was one of the best days for racing.

Does anybody know what happened to Inside Grand Prix? I always enjoyed watching that show before the race on Sunday morning. Speed seemingly has replaced it with The Grid, which is also airing on Sportsnet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The practice was interesting.Only one HRT car made in on to the track (Senna).Lots of cars bottoming out due to the weight of the extra fuel.Lots of premature tire wear too.Qualifying is going to be fun !

I'm working til 6 am.I'm hoping the last 2 hours are quiet so I can see qualifying without interuptions.I'm PVRing it just in case.

I was predicting a Vettel Pole,but Red Bull were suffering in practice,so perhaps Hammy will get it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
...and yet again TSN cuts off post qually...for yet another repeat of last night's Sportcentre :rolleyes: .

TSN , you trully suck !! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
56,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TSN2 cut it off as well, even though it aired later, right after the results tabulation. It's on tonight at 10:30PM on Speed (if not blacked out).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I watched it on TSN2 (6:55 was too early for me to get up), and I have to say I enjoyed the limited commercials. There was probably only 5 minutes, at the most, of ads during the whole broadcast, plus they showed it in its entirety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i could have sworn that the race was in HD today. its really hard to tell with these euro feeds since they are higher than 480 but lower than 720. the graphics were not as low quality as usual.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Euro feed.? The race was from Bahrain.

Standard Def TV in the UK is 625p, just as an FYI.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The feed is still a European produced feed, Formula 1 has some sort of group that does all the races. And it isn't HD, but it is much better than SD.

The new graphics package is much better than the old one too.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.