Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone will be able to get this movie for about $32 + taxes, then sell the DVD separately on eBay for $10 and the Digital Copy for another $10 making the total expenditure to be no more than $15.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I hereby accept your offer to pay $10 each for the DVD and Digital Copy. :)

Or if you'd rather work it the other way, I'll cheerfully take as many units of the blu-ray Incredibles set for $15 as you can supply. You can strip out and sell the DVD/DC discs, that's OK by me!

But seriously I think your estimate of what people will pay for the extra coasters is grossly overstated. There's 6 copies of 'Incredibles' DVD at the thrift store for $4 right now.

A more reality based estimate would be:

Retail: $32 (only if they come to their senses on pricing or sheer consumer outrage over the coming months causes media sellers like Amazon.ca to adopt par pricing since the exchange rate will have been par for 2 years by that time!)

Add tax = $37, probably some kind of sale or incentive for $4-5
$32, and someone might pay $5 for the DVD/DC, so a net of $27-30.

But hey I'll be very pleased to be wrong so if you are a man of your word, send me Incredibles Blu-ray for $15 at release time and I'll spring for the postage and a shout-out here.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Do it yourself. :). I just go based on what I always do with every single movies that have digital copies and DVD. My Paypal account and my 1200+ 100% positive feedback is proof enough for myself ;)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I never pay retail. The max I've paid for a Disney movie have never been more than $24 after HST.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Perfect. PM me on April 12, I'll fire $15 into your paypal account, and when my blu-ray copy of The Incredibles arrives, I'll back you up. Are you a man of your word, or is this just talk? We'll know for sure in April...

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do I want to do this for YOUR benefit? Look it up on eBay yourself, people are selling DVD disc only upwards to $15 and digital copies upwards to $13.

YOU want to save money and you want ME to do it for you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Nope, just seeing if you will stand behind your words.

You've claimed that the net cost to you for The Incredibles blu-ray set will be under $15. You've said you're a big time movie seller with a perfect track record, so you should have nothing to worry about right? :)

I'm a man of my word too, so the offer stands. $15 for the Incredibles Blu-ray set, as many as you can supply. As previously offered, you're welcome to take out the DVD and DC discs and sell them for as high a price as you like. Just send me the Blu-ray discs and cases. We can negotiate on slip covers if this product ends up having them!

If your expert prediction comes true, you'll be getting these for less than $15. You'll make a nice profit and demonstrate not only your honor but your superior predictive ability! I'll be obliged to pony up $15 for every set you ship. If you get these cheap enough, you could really teach me a lesson in shooting my mouth off.

But if my prediction comes true, I'll get a slight saving on a popular release, plus the warm feeling of knowing that for once, I was just as smart as David Susilo. :)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're not "as smart as David Susilo" if you can't find a source that sell the item for $24 taxes included and sell the DVD and digital copy yourself on eBay. :p

There are some people I'm willing to help to get great deals on BD or any other items (and you guys know who you are), but definitely I'm not helping you. Especially with the way you asked me in such crass manner.

PS: I'm not a movie seller, I just sell the parts of BD-pack that I don't need. What I am is far from a movie seller, just read my signature.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Well, on the bright side then at least we won't have to wait until April for this gentlemanly bet to play out and find out whether you were going to be honorable or not. :)

I am a bit confused though why you're pinching pennies given your story of selling so many digital copy codes to people for $10 each.

I'll open the offer to anyone else that is convinced The Incredibles blu-ray set is going to be available for under $15 all-inclusive... and I will stand behind my words when the time comes...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
'Everybody else' stands in a lineup for movie releases? Other than teenage girls lining up for the occasional Twilight midnight release, I don't think anyone lines up.

And besides, if you would read, this topic is about David J Susilo's guarantee that this highly anticipated blu-ray set will be available for less than $15, and my prediction that it will be more. What do you think? Higher or lower than $15?

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
And besides, if you would read, this topic is about David J Susilo's guarantee that this highly anticipated blu-ray set will be available for less than $15 ...
According to his original post:
Anyone will be able to get this movie for about $32 + taxes, then sell the DVD separately on eBay for $10 and the Digital Copy for another $10 making the total expenditure to be no more than $15.
1. He does not appear to be offering to sell unlimited quantities of the BD movie itself to you - or to anyone else - for $15/ea.

2. He does appear to be suggesting that, with a reasonable amount of effort, an individual could wind up paying no more than $15 for the BD. So, give it a try. :)
- If he's right, you'll have got your BD for $15 (net).
- If he's wrong - if a reasonable amount of effort does not result in a $15 BD - you can come back and tell him so.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
According to his original post:

1. He does not appear to be offering to sell unlimited quantities of the BD movie itself to you - or to anyone else - for $15/ea.

2. He does appear to be suggesting that, with a reasonable amount of effort, an individual could wind up paying no more than $15 for the BD. So, give it a try. :)
- If he's right, you'll have got your BD for $15 (net).
- If he's wrong - if a reasonable amount of effort does not result in a $15 BD - you can come back and tell him so.

:cool:
It's just a little good natured sparring with Dr David... it makes more sense if you know the whole thread and David's history on avs and other sites and know the whole context.

He presents himself something of an internet media mogul, a soothsayer of marketing acumen, and vouching about hundreds of successful resales. So I was calling out what I felt was more hyperbole, trying to do it in a creative way where there were actual stakes attached to words. Of course like so much talk on the internet, it spirals into more of a silly thing and I'm really the one to blame for this by poking at David Susilo's self-promotional balloon.

Personally, I don't think anybody's paying $10 for a caseless DVD that can readily be bought in the original case for $5. I feel the same about whether people will pay $10 for a movie digital copy code.

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable asking for that much, let alone selling something like a digital copy code. But I'm not above buying this set for $15 all-in if that truly is the net cost at release time! Just to reiterate I accept the fault for starting the poking match and should know better.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Everybody else' stands in a lineup for movie releases? Other than teenage girls lining up for the occasional Twilight midnight release, I don't think anyone lines up.

And besides, if you would read, this topic is about David J Susilo's guarantee that this highly anticipated blu-ray set will be available for less than $15, and my prediction that it will be more. What do you think? Higher or lower than $15
?

Gee, you sure like to tell people what's what, don't you. Me, David and eljay. For my part, I was simply refering to lining up at the cash register in the Future Shop or where ever one buys blue rays from a brick and mortar. And I'm not sure about the above mentioned price of $15 or so, but his is a good idea. You would be surprised what one can get on ebay or Craigslist. Maybe you should do a few searches.

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
It's just a little good natured sparring with Dr David... it makes more sense if you know the whole thread and David's history on avs and other sites and know the whole context.
. . .
Just to reiterate I accept the fault for starting the poking match and should know better.
I wasn't aware that David had a "history" on other sites. ;) Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
?

Gee, you sure like to tell people what's what, don't you. Me, David and eljay. For my part, I was simply refering to lining up at the cash register in the Future Shop or where ever one buys blue rays from a brick and mortar. And I'm not sure about the above mentioned price of $15 or so, but his is a good idea. You would be surprised what one can get on ebay or Craigslist. Maybe you should do a few searches.
Well I'm definitely not telling anyone (you included) what they *should* do. Speaking for myself, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of doing a listing for an overpriced used DVD, plus I'm also a little fuzzy on whether I should even be selling the digital copy code.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Just to update this sad topic, I'd left this to die, but did so with that feeling you get when you kind of suspect someone hasn't been telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

But then I received a braggadocious email claiming proof that he does sell used DVD's for over $10.

Etiquette prevents me quoting it, but in summary when I checked out the proof offered, I found some interesting contradictions and convenient omissions.

While he did sell a used DVD for $11.99, that price doesn't account for exchange rate, case, shipping, packaging, listing fees, paypal and insurance. Once those costs are factored in, we're looking at a net sale of perhaps $3. Maybe $4?

None of us can get movie cases and covers for free, nor can we get free courier services, packaging, or insurance. An honest portrayal would have either disclosed these costs in his claims, or would have at a minimum explained that he has some way of receiving these valuable items for free and that is what's skewing his calculations.

I did see NFR product demo samples being sold. Again, that's kind of a grey area. Some would say that such sales are highly questionable, although personally I don't believe anyone can simply slap 'not for resale' on an item and expect the recipient to simply oblige.

I did see he has sold digital copy codes for $10-12, but that was for box sets, not singles. I suppose selling these codes is profitable since you don't necessarily have to package or ship them. But it does fall into a legal and moral grey area for me and I'm not sure I would try to sell digital codes myself.

The DVD offered as proof was Saw The Final Chapter, a hot new first release movie, sold immediately at release time.

That's hardly comparable to the Incredibles which came out 7 years ago and has been adundantly available at pawn shops and garage sales throughout the land.

He operates under alias and claims US residency on the sale site which I suppose may not be illegal but does raise more questions. If you present yourself on a Canadian web site in a Canadian forum arguing about Canadian pricing, you should not be using USA pricing. Why do some ads claim to be in Canada and some claim to be in the USA?

The claim of 100% positive feedback also didn't check out. One of the negative feedbacks claimed non-delivery of goods, and criticizes him for acting fishy by claiming to be in the USA but actually residing in Canada. The site seller ratings are notorious for being artitificially high but even so he was knocked down a peg on Communications and Shipping Time.

I'm sorry David or whomever you are, but your cost and price claims aren't even supported by your own cherry picked evidence, once the full facts are brought to light.

David, I think the point here is it's fine for you to go around bragging about how you can buy and sell things at impossible prices.... if you fail to disclose the hidden costs. Or you can sell demo discs you don't have to pay for and digital codes you don't have to ship.

But don't then suggest that the rest of us can get the same deals. And when you are questioned, I wish you would have told the whole truth about how your costs were being factored.

The rest of us have to buy our goods at market prices and when we sell them we refer to actual sold prices with transparent disclosure of shipping and other real world costs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts