Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'm excited for this new bb devise.. Although not for me it excites me that they are finally getting an all touch device..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can also easily google this info, What was that you were saying about BS?
Thank-you for the links; it is common practice here that we include inline citations. I did, in fact, Google it before posting and found only contrary studies. For example, the first hit I got was this one (emphasis mine):

This quote is attributed to Apple itself in September, perhaps a repsonse to the claims made in the links you provided.

·
Banned
48 Posts
^^^

I'm always skeptical of any BS manufacturers claims, including Apples.

Independent studies as shown in the links, and why this is the case prove this.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking more deeply at the methodology used, I'd say the independent study is shaky at best.

I have no doubt there may tens of thousands of dead apps, but I think this vendor was just trying to grab some headlines. (shocking!)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
looking at the quality of the apps, after you go past the first 100-150 in each category, I can easily believe that most are never downloaded

realistically, anything less than 100 downloads is basically a dead app

I wonder what percentage fall into that category? (and I"m sure the numbers would be almost identical for any platform)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
More interesting (to me) would be the number of applications actually used after the first day they were installed.

My pattern with mobile apps goes something like this:

I download a lot of apps to see what I like, especially after I get a new device. In the case of Android I buy a lot of apps when they go on sale.

But only regularly use about a dozen apps. That includes stuff like a browser, mail, and instant messaging. I've downloaded a lot of apps. I used to even download apps that were "website replacements" or a website front-end. But then I realized that every day my phone was automatically updating 20 apps a day (on average). And none of these apps were actually in use. In the case of iOS, my OCD was causing me to have to download whatever updates the app store had for me in the little red dot.

Since then I've started uninstalling apps if I haven't used it in a month after the first installation.

Right now I'm going through the "collect all sorts of apps" phase with metro apps on Windows 8.

Ultimately, I wish apps worked more like websites (with the performance of native code). You go to use them, and then you automatically download the bits that you need and those bits get "cached" on local storage. If you don't a app for a while, it gets cleaned out of your cache. And if you go to use the app and there are updates, those get downloaded on demand. I think this is a model that would work better for "normal people". But I guess that is for operating systems of the future to implement.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Ultimately, I wish apps worked more like websites (with the performance of native code). You go to use them, and then you automatically download the bits that you need and those bits get "cached" on local storage. If you don't a app for a while, it gets cleaned out of your cache. And if you go to use the app and there are updates, those get downloaded on demand. I think this is a model that would work better for "normal people".
You're assuming that a) there's always an Internet connection available b) re-downloading the app and downloading and applying updates is a relatively quick process and c) the OS is smart enough not to touch settings and documents associated with the cleaned out app.

I'd rather make the decision what to delete and not leave it up to the OS.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe around 450,000 have never been downloaded, ever

At a very minimum, every developer likely has some friends who have downloaded their app. For that reason alone, its clear the person saying that is a gullible fool.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
NeilN said:
b) re-downloading the app and downloading and applying updates is a relatively quick process and c) the OS is smart enough not to touch settings and documents associated with the cleaned out app.
Web browsers do this successfully, and have done so for years. From a software architecture standpoint, these are not difficult hurdles to overcome.

NeilN said:
I'd rather make the decision what to delete and not leave it up to the OS.
This goes against the trend in computing. Android and iOS are even downplaying the concept of a local file system. The fact is, because most users aren't very knowledgeable, a OS can easily do a better on on keeping what should be kept (and discarding the rest) than a user can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts