Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Shaw Direct just tweeted out....

"The affected satellite performed emergency movements for reason that are currently under investigation. ETA is around 11:30AM ET. Thank you."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you sure they are actually HD? Shaw Direct is redirect most of the F2 HD feeds to standard def on my end. Everything I'm seeing online says F2 is still completely dead right now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My guess is they sent it commands related to sun transit that went awry, given it happened in early October both times and it was reportedly a software issue the last time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Man o man ...I sure wish I would've checked this forum before going through my system up and down....pulling my hair out!! Im an idiot!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 630 is not liking this one bit. If I tune into a channel that is out (channel 66 for example) the tuner gets locked up and will not reacquire signal when switched to a channel that works.
I have to reboot the unit for the tuner to work again.
Is anyone having the same thing too?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Mine was doing this, then I figured out why: I had recordings set to fire, and the 630 couldn't find a decent channel to record from, so it kept hogging the tuners. Once I cancelled all upcoming recordings, I was able to tune in a working channel, like CBC News SD for example.

Sun spot outages are between Oct 4 and Oct 12 this fall. Maybe they were doing something preparing for that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just want to say a word for you, Shaw Direct customers with that Satelitte out

All channels located on 111.1W Anik F2 are out. Mostly french channels, that outeage is affecting more in Quebec than others provinces. All queues line was red all the evening and when I leave at the end my shift, we still having more than 1000 customers was wainting for someone with average 2h in waiting time. I would like to take that moment to say thank you to all customers I got over the phone in the technical support department for their patience, comprehension and mostly their respect for that loooong day we got. They ask every single person in my call center in Montreal to do overtime and get that issue under controlled. I'm just too scared to see how it's gonna be tomorrow.

Here, just a quick look on what we see all night.....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Receiver "MAIL Message" not used

I'm sure that the Shaw Direct people are doing the best possible to handle a ton of calls from subscribers that have no idea if the problem is with their own equipment or somewhere in the ether.

I don't understand why Shaw does not take advantage of their "MAIL MESSAGE" capability on receivers. I checked our 630 and saw no messages.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Honestly, Shaw Direct should have had a card or notice up on channel 299 telling its customers of the problem and post updates on this channel. Channel 299 is also used as their "Bookmark" channels that are placed around the channel lineup so I'm sure most subs would have seen this card eventually. They have a card up now on some channels but it doesn't give much info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
IF you are getting HD you are the only one in Canada! Good for you! Not sure how you are getting it though? I think if you check it is SD not HD.
Even Sportsnet 360 on 309 is SD and all of the CDN HD channels are "Loss of satellite" message?

This morning is the same not HD anywhere! Hopefully Shaw will be compensating all of it's customers for the loss? LOL!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not sure about every channel being HD, and not sure how they are doing it, but Shaw has a highdef signal on (Classic channel 103) Sportsnet East HD..which is on F2, usually; and is obviously not coming from there now.

I had sports on most of the night up until well over 8:30 pm Atlantic and didn't notice the problem until I changed channels.. As someone else pointed out, most of the HD Canadian nets are on the third satellite, so my guess is that TO and Vancouver signals are being substituted with signals from other cities for those of us that are able to receive them. (eq. 6XX receivers). I can definately tell the difference between HD and SD.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Honestly, Shaw Direct should have had a card or notice up on channel 299 telling its customers of the problem and post updates on this channel. Channel 299 is also used as their "Bookmark" channels that are placed around the channel lineup so I'm sure most subs would have seen this card eventually. They have a card up now on some channels but it doesn't give much info.
There was a message card up on 327 classic east lineup (and a few more) stating they'd lost channels. Luckily I found it after only my SECOND 630 reboot. I'll have to remember that. But yes, either emailing our accounts, or messaging our boxes would have saved them a great deal of CSR grief.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I checked a few US Net and CNN HD channels. They are back!

Now I will have to change my timers back from SD to HD.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Internet, phone services gradually returning after Telesat satellite issue in Northern Canada - North - CBC News

the affected satellite performed emergency movements for reasons that are currently under investigation...

...Flaherty said this is "definitely not" the same problem as 2011...
Another link: NunatsiaqOnline 2016-10-03: NEWS: Telesat satellite screw-up knocks out internet, LD phone service across northern Canada

Interesting that a web-search brings up mostly articles from the 2011 incident, unless you insert 2016 into the search criteria. Also interesting that CBC has the best/most info on the topic.

"Communication companies" seem to be very poor at communicating when something like this happens...

·
Registered
849 Posts
I did one reboot, checked a 2nd receiver (same problem) then I came to this board. And whatddaya know - all the info I need was here. I knew it wasn't my LNB or receiver and that somebody was looking into it.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 46 Posts