Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was visiting a friend in Alberta when we went into a video rental store that was closing down and liquidating it's inventory. I ended walking out with an armful of DVD's and Blue-Rays which is good, because I'm on the stingy side when it comes to my wallet, but I had no BR player. Since I have used up my cheapo HD-DVD's (yes, obsolete) and have been using my HD-A35 (yes, also purchased post current) as my main player, it was time for a change.
Sure enough my wife happened to be in a big box retailer a few days later and called me to ask about a gift she was getting for our kid. I asked her to check out the clearance items and she walks out with a open box Pioneer BDP-320 for well under a $100. So know I am near modern (sure, with my speakers from 1977:)) and I must say I am quite pleased with the new toys performance, allowing me to semi-retire my old Toshiba and view newer movies in high def.
Hopefully this unit will keep going long enough to bridge the gap until the next generation of 4-D, super duper def, computer controlled, incredibly fast and shiny players end up in the discount bin too.:)

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
I asked her to check out the clearance items and she walks out with a open box Pioneer BDP-320 for well under a $100.
Congrats on the sweet deal! :)

Hopefully this unit will keep going long enough to bridge the gap until the next generation of 4-D, super duper def, computer controlled, incredibly fast and shiny players end up in the discount bin too.
My OPPO has to last until home-edition Holodecks come down in price. :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My OPPO has to last until home-edition Holodecks come down in price.
It's probably going to be sooner than we think.:)

The OPPO is the player I want. This will have to do for now.:D

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Unless you're geared towards SACD/DVD-A and fast loading, the Oppo 83 is no better than the 320. Even in the upscaling area.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes it's all considered junk in no time BUT if you can find what was considered high end a few months ago - at a big discount - generally you win. Spending for the latest gear at a premium - with the latest bugs - is the turf of those with far more money and patience than I. Example I was thinking about 3d when I heard that sony and tosh are both developing displays that don't require glasses. 3d on pause for me now. You really need to determine what is impressive and important to you - research - then leap. Much of this hobby is marketing fluff and some is real innovation - hard to see through it sometimes. I gave up beta testing on my dime years ago. Enjoy your new/older rig. My old stuff (1st ps3 - hd-dvd - 768p 50" kuros. 5.1 sound, dvhs, mot hd dvr ) still amazes me. One change in thinking I've also come to is when my equipment dies off warranty - replace - don't repair. Repair costs usually aren't worth it because of the instant obsolesence and low cost of replacement gear. Finding good content is the bigger challenge by far. The new trend to streaming "fake" hd is disturbing. I was actually sad to see BB go chapt11 - one more source of bd content in trouble.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Paul, you'll see more craptastic HD more and more often now thanks to the lack of education in HD (or anything for that matter).

Remember with cameras it becomes a megapixel war? HD is the same thing. Content provider, camera manufacturer, nobody cares to churn out quality as long as the pixel count it HD, let's sell it as HD and then compress the heck out of it.

That's what happen with AppleTV (resolution maxed out at 720p), Netflix, so-called HD camcorders (I'm so dumbfounded that people believe they're getting quality picture from a $200 "HD" camcorder), Rogers and Bell throtling the compression level beyond belief (when compared to even 2 years ago -- I happen to have a recording on HDPBS from 2 years ago and was re-broadcasted several months ago, the compression artifacts on the new recording is astoundingly clear to me eyes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts