Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks- need help!

I have four receivers, 2 x505's 1x 630 and 1x530.

One of the 505's is not receiving OASIS HD, the signal comes through as an encoded mess. I have tried a front panel reset and a hard reset- even unplugging it for a whole day. I have also done a receiver refresh via the SD website. No luck.

Why would only one channel not be working on one receiver?

Tips?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
If the line were bad, it would affect other channels. Each STB has its own authorization. Call SD to correct the situation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like a similar problem I've been having. Certain channels are particularly bad on specific receivers, even when using the same satellite feed cable. I still haven't solved it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Ouser,

Oasis HD comes through in 720p, versus most of the other HD stations which are 1080i.

Is it possible that your 505 is set to Native mode (0000) and connected to a TV which can't handle 720p signals?

Resolution is changed via the red button on the front of the receiver, under the Star Choice/Shaw Direct panel. Try putting it to 1080 and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SD Support- I will give that a try when I get home tonight!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that Oasis is 720p, since previously all channels were 1080i. And I thought it's kind of by design for Shaw (Starchoice) that all are 1080i and those that have a native resolution of 720p get converted to 1080i. But that doesn't seem the case anymore with the introduction of Oasis.

Does anybody know why channels that are native 720p (like ABC and FOX) are still converted to 1080i?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
See the following FAQ on the topic. It answers all those questions:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129

All service providers, excepting BTV "pass" the broadcast format directly to the STB. It may then be that you only have one output format, depending on the STB, but that's a different scenario. Shaw (cable and Direct), used to change to 1080i, but no longer do)
If you chose the native (0000) mode in the SD STB (via the red button or user settings), then you should see all the 720P HD channels, per the FAQ. This is usually confirmed by pressing an "info/display/similar" button on the TV's remote to see the signal that the TV is receiving.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That worked!

Thanks SD 360 support!

Not only did I not know that Oasis was 720p, but I didn't realize that my old HD Panasonic 34" crt was only 1080i and not 720p capable!

Good to go with 1080 on the aspect control!

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Ouser said:
Why would only one channel not be working on one receiver?
I assumed that you were only having issues with Oasis. I guess you couldn't see any of the HiFi channels, Fox, ABC, etc either... Good catch by SD630Support. This used to be a fairly common issue, but most new HDTVs accept 720P. BTW, it's format, not aspect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oasis is the only 720p channel on Shaw Direct, contrary to the FAQ you referenced above. ABC and FOX channels do get converted to 1080i. This has always been the case (unless this somehow only happens on my DSR 505).

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
hmm, strange and contrary to feedback in other previous threads. (it was not the case recently - about 1 year) Perhaps they've changed their source or procedure again. What about the other HiFi channels? What about the other 720P channels listed in the FAQ?

http://www.hifihdtv.ca/

Does your TV show 720P for Oasis when you press the TV's "info" button? Do you have the 505 set up for native (0000) or 1080i? Can you list which of the 720P channels show as 720P on your TV when you've got the STB set to native?

Here's but one previous reference to the 720P from Shaw Direct. I recall others (mostly in the Shaw Cable forum, but discussing all of Shaw).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1015102#post1015102

It seems I keep getting conflicting information, however, people who have their STBs set up to native have indicated that the 720P channels are not converted to 1080i by Shaw, but rather by the STB.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Normally I don't use native (0000), but I did switch before I tried this and posted :)

Anyhow I looked through the list that you referenced and noticed that The Score is also 720p, but as mentioned before ABC/FOX aren't and Speed is neither. So it seems that Shaw does still/again convert some channels to 1080i.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll update the FAQ. What do they do with the other HiFi channels (eqhd, Treasure HD and radX) - surely they don't just leave Oasis at 720P and change the other 3 to 1080i?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I can confirm. I allways use 0000 (native mode). Connected via HDMI auto. My tv is set to show for a second the resolution when switching channels (Sharp Aquous). Oasis is the only 720p channel.( sport channels excepted as I don't subscribe to them).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts