Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had to argue with the rep to get her to add Oasis as an add on channel (I am on the old plus) and not just take hd plus $16 ($12 + $ 2.95 is cheaper, if they add more channels to the $16 rate I will get the more expensive rate, but in the meantime I save $1.05/month-not much but the principal of the thing). They have on their site that Oasis is a pick and pay channel. She did try and tell me that Sportsnet one wasn't part of it, but relented after I got her to talk to a higher up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I noticed i wasn't getting it in Saskatoon. There is no point to be grandfathered in for hd plus if your not getting all the channels in hd plus. this total bogus. If people paying 16 dollars had to pay for it as well, then i could see it making sence.

we should have the right to assume we will receive all channels in the hd plus package, and the right to order pick and pay for other channels. At this point in time i will not be ordering it as i can barely afford my bill as is. Thanks SHAW for duking us again with this grandfather clause.

·
Registered
560 Posts
noticed on the weekend they finally cut off Oasis. Not that I expect things better at TELUS, but once TELUS TV is in my neighbourhood, I'm switching on principle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Last spring when Shaw decided to increase the price of HD Plus, they must have known increasing it in one increment from $9 to $16 would really cause a backlash, so they decided to raise us from $9 to $12. I believe I read somewhere (on their bill?) about the increase and then the standard line that "they were committed to bringing us more HD channels, better picture quality and selection" (you've probably heard it before whenever there's an increase).

Personally, I thought they would raise it to $12 then, and likely raise it to $16 maybe next spring. Though I thought that was a steep increase ($9 to $16 within a year or so) considering the number of channels hasn't really increased much), I didn't think they would withhold channels from my $12 HD Plus package in an attempt to get me to upgrade. At this time, why would I pay $4 more for HD plus when all I will get is one more channel - OASIS.

·
Banned
78 Posts
noticed on the weekend they finally cut off Oasis. Not that I expect things better at TELUS, but once TELUS TV is in my neighbourhood, I'm switching on principle.
After Telus sent an old account of mine to collections after they failed to close it at my request, I won't touch them again. It's the principle of it :p

I don't even see Oasis HD on my À La Carte Channels options online...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another Way To Look At It

Excerpt from post #1 in this thread
Oasis HD is a premium HD service, and because it is considered niche programming, we are offering Oasis HD a la carte for only $2.95/month to all HD customers. We will continue to add HD channels to HD Plus, including most recently Sportsnet ONE HD.​
Like most, I no longer get OASIS as part of my HD Plus package. I have never actually watched a program on OASIS although I have tried to several times. The programming just doesn't appeal to me but I understand that it certainly will be popular with others.

So, if moving this as Shaw calls it, niche programming, to an a la carte option allows my HD Plus package to remain at $12 then that is a positive for me. I don't want OASIS and do want no price increase for HD Plus.

Having said that, I should hope that the statement that Shaw will continue to add channels to HD Plus, presumably non-niche widely popular channels like SportsNet ONE, proves to be true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whether or not Oasis is high quality is not the key issue. Rather, the point is that HD Plus is HD Plus some of the time, but not all of the time. The Shaw website states that HD Plus includes all of the HD channels (except for the movies channels). This is shown in the "Channels in My Area" listing which shows "(Plus)" next to Oasis HD. It is also shown on the "TV News and Free Previews" page where it says:

Oasis HD is now offered in the following packages: HD Plus, HD Education and HD Pick and Pay.
The problem is the obscure and opaque rules as to what is included with what package and the pricing for packages and individual channels. It seems to be Shaw corporate policy to obfuscate policy and confuse their customers in the hopes that they will be tricked into paying more than they need. They succeed when customers are resigned to paying more for the same level, but fail when they piss off other customers. Someone must have done the cost-benefit analysis and figured out that it works in their favour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm ticked that the Fully Loaded package that I'm paying big bucks for is not fully loaded and that Shaw gives absolutely no indication that Oasis HD is not included in the package. It's a completely misleading thing to say that all HD channels (except for Superchannel) are included in the FL package when in fact, they are not.

Absolutely garbage from Shaw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this isn't the case, but it stands to reason that if HD Plus is listed as a paid item on our bill, then we should get all the HD Plus channels. I plan on calling (but don't expect any movement on the matter), but I feel dissatisfaction should be relayed to Shaw on this matter.

Thanks to Shaw Guru for clarity on the packaging (even if it was bad news!).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too was on the "old" Fully Loaded package and discovered Oasis to be missing without warning. I received the same response, and on checking Shaw's website, discover that now, the Fully Loaded package does not include Oasis, but the HD Plus package does. Go figure. My response was to reassess the channels I was getting and the channels I actually watched and lo and behold, I did what many others appear to have done - I canceled the Fully Loaded package and took the [new] HD Plus package.

Now I will save some $41 per month and get only the channels I want (including Oasis). My comment to the nice Shaw csr was that, to gain $3.95 per month, Shaw lost $41.58 per month. She agreed. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
My Oasis disappeared today. I didn't notice until after customer service was closed but the tech who did answer my call offered to 'add' it for $2.95/mo. I asked why I had to pay for a channel that is listed as being included with HD Plus and was told that is isn't and has been on 'free preview' for the last 6 months. I am really upset about how Shaw thinks they can do what ever they want. This is truly criminal behavior.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there, I actually called in the other day and for some reason I hadn't looked at this thread, so wasn't sure what was happening and why.

I just noticed that Oasis was now not authorized, so I called in.

The rep said that I am in the grandfathered HD Plus package and that is why I pay $12.00 as opposed to $16.00. He also wasn't aware that HD Plus..used to be $9.00.

I then said that basically with the HD Plus that I subscribe to, I will not get any of the new HD Channels that Shaw may add in the future. He confirmed this. He said that I can purchase any individual channel for $2.95, like Oasis, or upgrade to the $16.00 package.

It really does suck because for me, I don't know what I can cut in protest. I mean I could cut the HD plus..but I do like the channels....

I've already switched from Extreme to normal Hi speed.

Just seems really silly. There should be one HD Plus, not a grandfathered version that isn't applicable for any new channel additions.

The customers who have been paying for this for ages shouldn't be shafted like this.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I, like some others, didn't care much for Oasis HD, they seem to show the same stuff over and over. So my hd+ not going up to 16 bucks and staying at 12 bucks makes me happy. But when they add more channels(when?:p) that I might like better, I will for sure be upset.
I can see in the near future that hd+ will be scrapped and everything will be pick and pay-like the SD digital channels. I know alot of people who now have no p&p digital channels and only basic cable. HD channels are what alot of people watch now and Shaw must be noticing the lack of SD subscribers.
Although they still make cash hand over fist so they can't be hurting that bad.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If this a pick and pay channel. Why cant i order this channel online? i thought if i bundled it with another channel for 3.95 it would be better value and might make it worth it. I guess now i have to phone and wait 30 mins now.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If this a pick and pay channel. Why cant i order this channel online? i thought if i bundled it with another channel for 3.95 it would be better value and might make it worth it. I guess now i have to phone and wait 30 mins now.
Not sure why it's not available online but yes you can bundle it with another pick and pay for $3.95. Also with regards to wait times...these have been a major focus for Shaw lately and we have more people on the phones now. Over the past 8 days the average wait time overall for each day has been less than 2 minutes. During peak times it may be a bit longer than 2 minutes but it definitely should not be 30 minutes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for the info guru. I wish you could get promoted to head of communications for Shaw. You always know what going on and are very helpful. I feel as a customer Shaw keeps us in the dark on whats going on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When is HD+ Not HD+

Just to add my 2 cents. This has nothing to do with the channel they have added, it has to do with the fact that all of their information - Thunder Bay Channel line-up - shows that Oasis is a part of the HD Plus package. If Shaw wants to differentiate between their old loyal customers who are grandfathered and those that are paying full fare for HD+, change the name or acknowledge that you have made a mistake and reconnect all of the customers to the station. In the meantime if it quacks like a duck and it looks like a duck you are barred from calling it a mongoose!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
+1 ^^^

Yep here's the list of "channels in my area" from the horse's mouth and lo and behold Oasis HD is still listed as part of the HD Plus pkg only it's not or sort of is... :rolleyes:

HD Plus 210 CTV Toronto HD (CFTO-HD)
HDSports (Plus) 218 Sportsnet - West HD
HDSports (Plus) 219 TSN - HD
HDSports (Plus) 220 TSN2 - HD
HDSports (Plus) 221 Big Ten HD
HDSports (Plus) 222 Score HD
HDSports (Plus) 223 The Golf Channel HD
HDSports (Plus) 224 SPEED HD
HDSports (Plus) 225 Sportsnet One HD
HDEducation (Plus) 227 National Geographic HD
HDEducation (Plus) 228 Discovery World HD
HDEducation (Plus) 229 History HD
HDEducation (Plus) 230 Oasis HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 233 A&E HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 234 Showcase HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 235 HDNET - HDNet
HDEntertainment (Plus) 236 The Learning Channel HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 237 Encore Avenue HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 238 WGNHD - Wgn HD
HDEntertainment (Plus) 239 AMC HD

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The excuse I got when I called customer service yesterday was that the 'HD Plus' that is shown is only for customers who are paying $16/mo. Since the listed pricing for 'HD Plus' is only shown as being $16, they are covered and we who are 'grandfathered' are out of luck. I told them they would be hearing from my lawyer as there is no distinction made anywhere on their website info and what is the point of having the 'grandfathered' group?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts