Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
What about your valuable Triple Play customers?
I think it's BS you grandfather a package but will not add to it.

Shaw's HD selections are pretty pathetic still.....$12 is enough until there's about 10 more channels.

Hoping that with the Shaw Media takeover, HD will expand across the Shaw platforms.

**Please note the grandfather HD Plus package for $12/month does not get this channel as part of that package.**

The $12 HD Plus package was a grandfathered package/pricing and we do not expect channels to get added to this package in the future. The exception to this seems to have been the Sportsnet One channel which was recently added and we believe this was due to popular demand for this product as the programming was originally available on Sportnet HD but was split off when the new Sportsnet One channel launc
he

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did Shaw ever actually tell us that it was capping off new channels for those of us on the grandfathered HD Plus? I have no recollection of being so informed. I had actually thought that being grandfathered meant receiving a bit of a bonus for being an "earlier adopter" of a Shaw service, that new customers paid $16 while long-timers were able to continue at $12 (which was an increase over the original $9).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm not sure about the billing side of things when it comes to the HD Plus package. I would believe that you are correct: no there was not any mention of a cap on adding new shows, however on there other side of the coin there was also no mention that we would be adding any new channels to the grandfathered package.

HD channels are one of the largest growing sectors in the entertainment industry. Channels offering HD are capitalizing on this and getting as much money as they can for their content which is passed on to the cable providers then onto customers. Over the last few years Shaw has added numerous HD channels at no charge and keep the cost at the introductory $9 rate. As more and more channels were added (HD Plus now has 19 channels i believe) the price of the package eventually went up. With the addition of more channels (let's say we off 35 channels in the future) it's not really reasonable to expect to get all of the new channels and still pay the $12 price.

I understand the frustration and can definitely relate. We are just trying to get the correct info out there so people know why the channel may not be working for them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. It would be easier to accept the price increases if we were able to simply drop the SD versions of the same HD channel. And it would be helpful, if Shaw could simply state what they are doing, informing customers about their choices.

I still have and enjoy OASIS, but courtesy of this forum (and not Shaw), at least I know that it may shortly disappear. If it does, and if I want to keep it, what is the answer? Go off the grandfathered HD Plus (at a $4 increase), or simply add Oasis for $3? The former is worthwhile only if I know that Shaw is endeavouring to catch up with other providers on as yet undelivered HD channels.

Right now HD is treated as a premium to existing SD, rather than a replacement. Shaw isn't the only provider that does this; this is an industry-wide problem, so the change needs to happen more broadly. Such a change, however, would be welcome news.

·
Registered
681 Posts
After looking into this issue I called Shaw and had Oasis HD added along side my existing Discovery Science channel and got the 2channel discount so I only have to pay 3.95 for both which i guess is a bit of a plus.

So if anyone is interested in adding it remember that you can bundle it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would believe that you are correct: no there was not any mention of a cap on adding new shows, however on there other side of the coin there was also no mention that we would be adding any new channels to the grandfathered package.
Shaw Guru, I was a big fan of yours up until that statement. That's twisted marketing speak, not something I would have expected given all the other useful info you've posted in other threads.

It makes me ask then: Has Shaw stated that they WILL add additional channels in the future to the current $16 plan? Has Shaw stated that any additional channels added to the $16 plan will come at no additional cost? When additional channels are added to the $16 plan and the price increases to, say $25, will Shaw then "split" the HD plan again, grandfather in the $16 people, then only add new channels for the $25 plan?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As mentioned I'm not an expert on the billing side of things (technical issues are my forte) and I can not predict what Shaw has planned for future launches of channels and pricing. I simply wanted to put the info out so people would know exactly what was happening.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If there's one person we shouldn't be sooting at it's Shaw Guru. Call your Shaw customer representative and let him/her know what you think about this. That's the only way they'll get the message.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I kind of liked Oasis and I was ticked off when I got "not authorized" today. I called Shaw and they told me about the grandfathered prices for HD Plus. I'm pretty tired of not just Shaw, but all of these tel-com providers thinking people are a bottomless money pit and constantly thinking up new ways to charge more for the same (or lesser) product. Anyway, I wanted Oasis back so I'm now on the new HD Plus, but I canceled a few other channels and cut my High Speed Extreme back to regular High Speed, there was nothing "extreme" about the former anyway. So now they're getting less money out of me every month and I'm now looking into alternatives for all my Shaw services. I'm just fed up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I got SHAW digital two and half months ago, OASIS has been my most watched channel. I especially liked all the NHK stuff: accurate, interesting, and well-cadenced. I Didn't like "monkey thieves", nor a German program about H2O that had too much nonsense. And a program on Madascar had some off-putting errors of fact (like calling spiders insects). Ivan Semaniuk, on their astronomy program, is not a good narrator, even though he is accurate.

So some programs have been iffy, but the proportion of quality to crap is very high. The highest I've seen for any channel I watch with regularity.

I was disappointed when it disappeared with no notice yesterday evening. Without it, HDTV is not a good deal for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the Shaw Fully Loaded package for three years and tonight, I'm getting a Not Authorized message on Oasis. I'm pretty ticked right now and will be phoning Shaw in the morning to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
fahlmanc,
because you got shaw 2 and a half months ago you are still getting it free. im on the 16 dollar package also and mine turned off but i called them and they readded it free. try that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crap, I just noticed that I'm on the $12 HD Plus (I guess I'm grandfathered) and today it's saying "Not Authorized" for OASIS. :(

I watched the channel sporadically so I'm not sure I'm gonna miss it but I did enjoy some of its programming. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
"Not Authorized"
I'm going to let them have it on this one.

Why have a grandfather package? Just charge everyone the new fee....I also cannot see anything that says not part of grandfather package.
Doesn't matter....until theres 4 more channels, like Slice, HG, Food, I'm not biting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I phoned Shaw this morning about me paying for the Fully Loaded package and not being authorized for Oasis HD. The quite bizarre explanation I got was that since Oasis HD is so new, it hasn't been incorporated into the Fully Loaded package yet, but it has been added to the HD Plus package. What?!

That means those of us who are paying a lot more for the Fully Loaded package don't get to see a channel that is available for those who pay less for the HD Plus package. She said that other people with the FL package are phoning in to complain and that she can 'offer' Oasis for $2.95 a month to me or else take away the one free video on demand that we FL subscribers get and then get Oasis HD in return. She said that she didn't know when Oasis would be implemented in the FL package.

Talk about a completely bizarre situation from Shaw. Not happy at all about this.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
It should be noted that "HD Plus" is the New HD Plus, because it's obvious that they play favorites with their customers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh JesseJ, that is good observation! Some customers have HD Plus and some "New" HD Plus.

As they might understand down at the Ol Pejeta wildlife farm: all Shaw customers are favoured, and some are more equally favoured than others.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This business of adding then removing a channel, for longer term customers (but not new customers), without so much as an iota of information or warning, reminds me of the ethics of the Rogers Cable "negative billing" fiasco. Having laid out a fair chunk of cash for their equipment, one starts to feel at the mercy of some rather unseemly business practices, in spite of Shaw's well advertised "no contract" policy. Does the CRTC have any teeth, at least in support of customers?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts