Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

This is my first post, so be gentle ;)

About 4 months ago, I built a 4-tie bowtie antenna - no reflectors - to put in my living room and capture OTA TV from New York. I am about 29 miles from the transmitter (the Empire State Building)

The antenna is finnicky, but I was able to get CBS, NBC, FOX (basically the only 3 I wanted - I would love to have ABC, but apparently that's Hi-V in my area) no problems. The weird part is that while all 3 stations were coming from the same source, it was very infrequently that I would get all 3 stations in HD without interruption without having to slightly move the antenna for each station. Now, however (maybe because my antenna has been banged around and the prongs are bent) I'm having trouble getting any of the 3 stations.

I live in a 2nd floor apartment, so I am a bit elevated, and inside my house, I only have to go through one wall to get to the outside - there are no large trees between me and the transmitter.

I am looking at ways to improve my reception. I've read that making the bowties longer (mine are 7 inches) can sometimes help, but then I am also looking at building the gray-hoverman (again without reflectors, just the 2 zig-zagging wires).

Any thoughts would be of great help. I am less than novice when it comes to electrical engineering terms, so I may not understand what you're looking for if you're asking follow-up info.

Here is the signal info from the FCC if it helps:

FOX - Channel: 5 (RF 44), Receive Power: -40 dBm, Dir to Tower: ENE (66)
NBC - Channel: 4 (RF 28), Receive Power: -38 dBm, Dir to Tower: ENE (66)
CBS - Channel: 2 (RF 33), Receive Power: -37 dBm, Dir to Tower: ENE (66)
ABC - Channel: 7 (RF 7), Receive Power: -49 dBm, Dir to Tower: ENE (66)

EDIT: here is the TV fool link

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=da32eb875139d8

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dda32eb875139d8

·
Registered
358 Posts
The web-based tool we like to see results from is tvfool.com. Enter your complete address (we won't see it) and how high your antenna will be over street level to get the best results, then get a report. The page will tell you how to share it with us.

This thread in this sub-forum describes how to construct a better bowtie array. The lead investigator, mclapp, has gathered all his documentation at this website. If I had to guess, I would choose the 9.5 inch element design to receive both 7 and 11 well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
You should do great with a very simple reflectorless SBGH with NARODs, except for real channels 2,4, and 6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are NARODS?

nm. found that part out :)

this would do better than a 4-tie 9.5 inch bowtie?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Stampeder, with his signal strength numbers, he doesnt need a top hat style NAROD and can use the simpler old straight NAROD. :p
And he needs a reflector less model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts