Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
321 - 340 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
WBBZ-TV, RF 7, was in solid this morning for about an hour. Also Rochester stations.

Reactions: nfitz

·
Registered
812 Posts
WPXJ Batavia has launched 2 new sub-channels on 51.5 and 51.6. They are Defy and True/Real. Check them out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WPXJ Batavia has launched 2 new sub-channels on 51.5 and 51.6. They are Defy and True/Real. Check them out.
Lots of shuffling around in US cities with the subchannels. I'm getting CourtTV in 720P on a subchannel now (I'm in the Windsor/Detroit market). Stay tuned as you might get some more programming changes.

It's too bad Canadian broadcasters haven't started using subchannels but I'm not surprised. OTA doesn't seem to be a priority here, unlike the USA that seems to have invested money in it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
OTA in Canada in the coming years will disappear. The CRTC will see to that!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Their is money to be made, just not for the Cable/Satellite companies. The Tv Stations are now making direct $$$ from sub-channels, and so are the providers of the sub-channels, just no middle-man.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As pessimistic as you might happen to be, consider this one fact about Canada/Canadians: we are great followers who tend to naturally fall in line when big bold decisions are made elsewhere first.

So: we will have OTA and it will be ATSC3.0 and there will be a 5G mobile component - because that’s what the neighbours have decided to do. We don’t need the subchannels though- we can barely keep up with CanCon Rules as it is with what we have.

Bell/Rogers will eat this up:
Tvtechnology.com/news/nextgen-tv-theyre-watching
It’s all about the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
So: we will have OTA and it will be ATSC3.0 and there will be a 5G mobile component - because that’s what the neighbours have decided to do. We don’t need the subchannels though- we can barely keep up with CanCon Rules as it is with what we have.
Only way this happens is if Canadian taxpayers pay for the upgrades. Otherwise, we're having 1.0 and they keep shuttering transmitters, like the present. OTA TV is so small here in Canada that they could shut it off tomorrow and each station would get under 10 complaints.

Remember, 3.0 is still voluntary in the US, might be a decade before they do another changeover, that's if they even mandate it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
True, but I can’t see not moving forward.
The story Link talks about how the broadcasters can realize profits by further vertically integrating their data infrastructure. Profits for shareholders make everyone in the relationship happy. It’s going to happen. Just a matter of when, and I say sooner than later to prop up the economy by forcing change. Remember: build back better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This AM was great for DXing. WBXZLD1, 56.1 - 56.12 was booming in here like a local. This one I hardly ever receive. All of Rochester was solid here as well.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Does Erie, Penn belong here? WJET Erie was solid this AM for about 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone seeing any ATSC 3.0 in Buffalo? Just got a new X80J with a NextGen tuner, it's not that mindblowing but I get 5 main stations in 3.0 plus a 480P lower def subchannel from Detroit.

^ It says 1080P but I'm sure it's just up-converted.

I guess Antenna Man on YouTube was wrong... my signal strength is worse on 3.0. So much for getting it on rabbit ears if my roof antenna % is lower than 1.0.

·
Registered
242 Posts
channel 23.2 is now rewind a station dedicated to 80' and 90's tv and bounce moved to 7.2 and 7.3 is now court tv mystery . so to see laugh tv you have to go to 51.4 also anrenna tv change there format to 70's tv and earlier as rewind is there sister station.

·
Registered
23 Posts
480P lower def subchannel from Detroit.
How far away are you from Detroit? Do you have any way of displaying an SNR reading for this channel? Receiving this channel is neat because it’s one of the only robust ATSC 3.0 streams available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How far away are you from Detroit? Do you have any way of displaying an SNR reading for this channel? Receiving this channel is neat because it’s one of the only robust ATSC 3.0 streams available.
There is no SNR on 3.0 stations, it's only listed on 1.0 on my TV.

I'm around 20 miles away from RF 31 in Southfield, MI, living in Windsor, ON (across the river, if you know the geography). Most of the transmitters are in the suburbs but their is a null going to Canada, therefore my signal strength is lower than on 1.0.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the past five years I have tested three Channel Master antennas for HDTV reception. I'm using a 50' steel tower with a 7775 Channel Master preamp, a 9521a channel master rotor and RG-11 downlead [to reduce line loss].

The first antenna was a 4248 channel master antenna and I was able to pick-up all Rochester NY channels, Buffalo channels recieved were channels 2,4,29,43 none from Syracuse.

I then installed a 4228 channel master and recieve channels 68 and 24 from Syracuse and intermitently channels 3,5,9.

My neighbor then gave me a new Channel Master 4250 which I gave a try signal strength was the same as the 4228 the only differance is that the 4250 was extremely directional and I thought that would help me recieve channel 5 out of Toronto because the physical channel for CBLT 5 is channel 20 and in Rochester the PBS analog channel is channel 21 I am experinceing co-channel interferance. The 4250 did not correct the problem so I took it down and put back the 4228. This is an experiment in progress, some channels are low power, some experiance co-channel interferance.

I always scan for digital channels between 6:00am-8:00am I have recieved digital channels as far away as Watertown NY. I used to recieve analog channel 27 Global from the CN tower but since Fox network in Rochester started broadcasting digitally on channel 28 it has destroyed channel 27.

I am no longer able to recieve any Canadian Broadcasts and its a shame because I always respect other peoples or Countys points of veiw, especially politics. I look forward to being able to recieve Free canadian broadcasts in the future.

Thanks for reading
Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can CBLT block broadcasts into the USA? We were happily watching channel 5 in Buffalo, when CBLT gave out just before the season opener of Murdock Mysteries! I scanned the channels on my TV and completely lost 5 in my list. Does anyone know what's going on?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
No, I was watching that earlier here in Buffalo...(via the CN Tower).
Probably tropo / ducting IX from London, ON. CJMT London is on RF 20 also.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Can someone explain how WWHC can be listed as translater for WVTT when the contruction permit puts WWHC from same tower in Colgrave NY ? Are they really going to transmit same signal from same site ?

321 - 340 of 343 Posts