Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
No I believe is definitely not WDTB. I think I would be able to tell that from 5 or 6 miles away...
Like I said, WDTB went off the air around 10 AM Friday.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
No, they are trying to find a new channel to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just noticed they want to use CH18. Now that would mess up City Tv in Buffalo if they get it
I saw the pending application too for channel 18. Citytv on 18 move was great for me in Hamburg, the channel is rock solid now even during mid day. Was always a fringe channel before. I think one of the Buffalo stations was denied channel 20 in the recent past because of CBLT being on 20. Daystar should get denied too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wonder why they would pick ch18? They could use LO VHF. I'm surprised you get it so well way south in Hamburg too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder why they would pick ch18? They could use LO VHF. I'm surprised you get it so well way south in Hamburg too.
I'm 500 yards inland from the lake and I'm aimed directly at the CN Tower. I'm fortunate to receive all of the GTA and Buffalo market. CFTO was a unicorn for a while until I added two 30 inch reflectors to the rear of my antenna. CFVK came in nicely on RF42, but there is nothing since their move. I was looking at the signal map and it looks like they might be directing all of their power Eastward only. I'm south/south west and in what might be their weakest spot... But still haven't had anyone confirm reception on RF29.

WNYB switched to vhf-l rf5 out of Jamestown. I could once pull them with ease when they were rf26, switched to vhf-l and they're coverage tanked to almost nothing. I don't have any elements designed for VHF L though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think you meant CKVP. WNYB is a regular tropo reception via my FF4 antenna in Kitchener, I'm about 170' ABGL so my results aren't normal. Regarding rf29, haven't seen CKVP or WDTB since the switch but WNEO is a regular catch even when pointed at Buffalo, so I doubt either are actually up and running on those freq's. I was hoping all the religious channels south of the border would give up their assignments and go low VHF, let's face facts, these charlatans are all about fleecing the flock for their own personal gain. The sooner the FCC crack down on political speech by these "religious" channels the better. The party promoting "religious Liberty" is actually promoting "religious division".

There is nothing stopping an extremist wing of Islam from getting a license via this legislation, no one wins. Tax these tele-religionists like a normal station.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Taxes - be careful what you wish for.
One of the possibilities I see ahead, after the transition to ATSC 3.0, is that stations may have the ability to charge to view their content.
In the OTA datastream, there may be a script embedded to trigger a smart tv to (over the internet connection) query the station’s server to determine if you’ve paid up. If not, you won’t be able to access the decryption key, or the tuner will notch filter that channel out of the incoming spectrum...
Consider the subscription fees: the basic level will include commercials, a more upscale tier will block them, a 3rd (premium) will allow you to stream a la Netflix etc.
Oh, and the free level is limited to 1080/720, now that it’s been paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
WVTT has been granted permission to increase their power from 1KW to 3KW so we'll see how that affects reception ability in southern Ontario.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
What do they show? A Google search result showed that they used to just show informercials - has that changed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
WVTT has been granted permission to increase their power from 1KW to 3KW so we'll see how that affects reception ability in southern Ontario.
Interesting, I'm in Hamburg and aimed at CN tower so their broadcast is about 120 degrees out of aim and I only pull them in on the best reception nights. They're all SD and broadcast all junk. One of the channels was some gaming streams in spanish.

301 - 314 of 314 Posts