Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
As you know, I am in a lower-lying area not far from you. With my Winegard 7698 Vhf-hi/Uhf combo, Rf-9 consistently registers 36- 48% in signal strength on my ZAT 502HD tuner but signal quality during the day ( and sometimes in the evening) is unreliable: I still have some experimenting to do with filters.

I have set-up a few systems north of Toronto that combine a homemade vhf-hi dipole ( dollar store rabbit ears) with a good ( commerically made) uhf antenna? Works quite well to pick up rf9 30 miles south and rf-10 24 miles to the north. Without it, vhf-reception becomes unreliable.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
chinadog, I took a quick peek, looks like you are about 30 feet lower ground elevation than I am (580 ft vs 610 ft). RF9 does come and go with weather, but I am still impressed I can receive it at all with just a simple dipole.
I am probably gonna wind up with a fixed yagi for that at some point.
I don't mind having uhf on a rotor, but I really hate relying on a dual band antenna (what I was using previously), where optimum Az for uhf will never be the same as the optimum Az for VHF.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2793569-post1754.html

Think I may have fixed CFTO here. After ~ 10:30 AM CFTO fell off the map as it has been every day for it's daytime status. I brought the home brew SBGH down ~ 11:30, and secured the elements a little better. In putting it back up, I raised it a few feet, increasing the vertical separation between the UHF antenna and the Stellar Labs VHF yagi. There is now about 4 feet vertical separation center to center,

Could just be the weather, but CFTO has been hangin in there at 18 to 18.5 dB SNR so far since, which is unheard of during the daytime here since my CFTO issue first arose.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Interesting re the vertical separation. I think I read somewhere that the distance should be a min of 3 feet to prevent inter-action.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: CFTO fix

Hoping to hear that your CFTO improvement tweaks work long term. I, too have been looking to stabilize CFTO. Last week I fiddled with a Kiztech 500 (variable gain 0-36 db and a .85 noise figure). I used it in place of my AD CDA4 distribution amp (7.5 gain "low noise") i did not detect any real improvement. I could only use about 1/3 of the available 36 dbs of gain before overloading the tuner.

So I am considering :

Re-deploying an antennacraft y10 7-13
mounting the Kiztech pre-amp closer to the antenna (at the roof tripod)
increasing the height with a guyed mast (would the signal gain be nullified by inceasing the signal from the Grand Island transmitters and the LPs from the Seneca One tower?)
a channel 9 notch filter/injector

·
Registered
200 Posts
CFTO reception July 28 8:11 pm

Wingard combo 7698 at 30 ft
two fm filters, winegard ut2700 tunable uhf filter
Kiztech 500 adjustable gain pre-amp (40 ft downstream from antenna)
pre-amp is set at about 30% (+10 db) of available power (30db)

fairly steady 17.5 snr
Cm7000 tuner SS:45 SQ:23-60

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I have noticed the antennas direct FM Traps don't seem too waterproof.
So today I pulled mine out and replaced with a single MCM Electronics 33-341 FM Trap.
FM Trap | FM-88 (FM88) | Distributed By MCM

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/42428-splitters-attenuators-filters-diplexers-other-signal-gear-111.html#post2660362
It's basically the same design internally. It's not looking too hearty weatherproof wise either, as the rear cover doesn't look sealed. But the rest of it is cast like the case of a splitter. I spread a little epoxy around the rear cover to make sure it's sealed.

MCM doesn't sell them any more, but I bought a bunch of them when they were closing out. @chinadog, If you want a couple of them, let me know and I will bring a couple over for you.

In the process of pulling things apart to swap filters, I found a bad connector in the VHF path. Hoping that
when I fixed that it will help CFTO over the long haul. We'll see.

·
Registered
202 Posts
looks like channel 67 is going to add anougher sub channel because there testing 67.5 right now with anougher feed of h&i but the station at the top says metest.i hope its the movie channel that Detroit gets

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
WIVB different frame rate?

WIVB looks different. I noticed golf yesterday was not very smooth and the
news this morning also looked like something is wrong.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Not watching WIVB. You said something about the frame rate.
Not sure what it is supposed to be but assuming you would know if you suspected that.

The stream said it was a 1080i video, Mpeg2, assuming it's just standard stuff.
Maybe you wanna send them an email, as I doubt they have people watching the Canadian internet forums.They have been pretty responsive in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
The WIVB license is now inactive. It is a guest on the WNLO transmitter; they both share channel 32:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=WIVB

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=B&city=&state=&mktid=63&owner=&sort=&ph=&lss=&status=

Just to make it even more confusing, there is another WNLO in Norfolk.
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=WNLO

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
On My LG TV here it looks like artfifacts, similar to pixellation, but not really sure how to describe it. SNR is 30 dB or better and doesn't vary when that occurs.
Recorded 218 MBs of raw ts file with my computer, while watching it on the TV so I could stop it upon a sign of errors.

218M Jul 2 21:14 581mhz_ch_32.ts

Played it back with mplayer, and near the end it hiccups, which is around the time I saw the artifacts on the TV and stopped it. WNLO had similar earlier but not sure if in the recording... Haven't seen it on the two SD channels though yet.

Below is the std output from mplayer while running in the shell at the instant the artifacts showed up. It will indicate what mplayer didn't like about it. Greek to me...

https://pastebin.com/zekv544T

Running it through TsReader and around that time it shows 21 Continuity Errors.
You can read about Continuity Errors on the TsReader FAQ where it says..
"Please explain what continuity errors mean?"

https://www.coolstf.com/tsrsupport/tsrsupport/faq.html

What I can do is watch each channel, from the raw ts file and see if they all do it at the same time or not. Or if only one channel is impacted at a time.

edit: watched all 4 channels from the recording in mplayer individually, and they all do similar at around the same point in the file.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I noticed that for both Saturday and Sunday golf. I thought it was a problem with my HDHR so glad to see that everyone is having this issue.

It almost looks like the file is encoded at an incorrect bitrate and the motion isn't as smooth as it should be.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
201 - 220 of 259 Posts