Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as Plasma Televisions go, it was widely agreed that the Pioneer Kuro Elite's were the absolute best.

Since they have stopped producing their blacker than black sets...is there a consensus as to which Plasma TV tops the list for best picture?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
That belief was a long time ago.

The top of the line Panasonics are the best I've seen.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That belief was a long time ago.

The top of the line Panasonics are the best I've seen.
Hi Hugh, care to elaborate on which models you are referring too.....as far as I know, all I read in audio/video magazines regarding HDTV reviews, is that the Pioneer Kuros are still the benchmark!! There is not one HDTV review out there where someone clearly comes out to state that Xbrand is now top of the heap!
Yes, maybe there are certain features like Better contrast or smoother motion which may beat the Kuro, but IN OVER-ALL PQ, VERY FEW TODAY COME CLOSE TO A KURO!

Paul

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'd like to see those reviews comparing a Kuro to a new high end Panny because I don't believe it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good article here on new Panasonic VT30 sets.

Panasonic Proclaims Higher Picture Quality and Kuro Like Blacks for its 2011 Plasma TVs

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a great article Civuck.

Is this not the year that Panasonic can start using the Pioneer Kuro technology they purchased when Pioneer stopped producing TV's?

I do remember something about one of the provisions of the sale of the Kuro technology was that Panasonic had to wait a few years before being able to implement it into their TV lineup.

BTW...I have both a Pioneer Kuro and a Panasonic VT20 and the VT does not come close to the Kuro...not close period...and they were both calibrated by Michael TLV.

That is actually why I was asking originally, if there was a general consensus, as to which (if any) brand stands out today as clearly number 1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best Monitor

Dolby have released a reference monitor the PRM-4200. Saw one last night at a post production facility and the picture is stunning. This has been a big problem for the industry as all the CRT based 16x9 monitors are dying.

This Dolby unit looks like it will become the new reference standard. Oh yeah, I believe the price is approx $60,000.

So if you want the best piture...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm still angry about Pioneer leaving the Plasma business and I don't know what television I would buy today. Thankfully I'm not in the market and happy with my Kuro Elite.

Unfortunately Panasonic might never actually use any of the patents they bought from Pioneer. Perhaps the premium to implement them just isn't cost effective for anyone right now, particularly when the competition is in the $1000 or less category.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
2011 top of the line Panasonic plasma is ALMOST as good as 1st gen Kuro in terma of black level but BETTER than even 2nd gen Kuro in terms of motion resolution.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I was disapointed that Panasonic did not expand on Kuro after purchasing the patents. It seems like 3D has distracted them from creating the best 2D picture. On top of that their models from the last 3 years have rising black levels to varying degrees, so what you get out of the box will change at varying intervals.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
In case anyone is interested, Pioneer along with Sharp is bringing out a new LED LCD Elite "KURO LIKE" HDTV.

I will certainly be waiting to see what this beast looks like...

Paul
It's just a Pioneer-branded Sharp. It will never be Kuro-like... unless they can employ 2,000,000-zone LED backlight on the LCD panel (ie, making the LCD works like a plasma)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Your preaching to the choir David....LOL I know it will probably never be a true Kuro, but here's to hoping!!

Paul

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I know, I know... but considering the reality, I'm just hoping it's not a Quattron derivative that is notorious for its colour inaccuracies and high difficulty in doing the calibration. Heck, when a client tells me he/she own a Quattron, I refuse to do the calibration.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Pioneer told me the year for the Panny Kuro technology would not be before at least 2012.

Anyway I'm still totally blown away by the PQ of my Pio Elite 111FD.

I'm still quite sure that display technology will improve by the time I'm ready to buy a new primary set which will be at least a few years down the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts