Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got novus internet (net20) was very excited, but my download rate doesn't go above 2.1 MB/sec for direct links, and its about 660 KB/sec for rapidshare and hotfile!! When I do a speed test, the speed for download is 20 MB/sec as novus advertises. I tried a direct link between my laptop and the wall jack (ie no router) and same results!

Whats going on? are these normal speeds? What's your speed, it'll be good to know so I can compare...

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's about right. Downloading from usenet is really fast though - about twice as fast as comparable Shaw offering. Strangely, browser speeds are slower. Can't figure that one out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The speed test you're referencing is measuring in megabits as opposed to your download rate being in megabytes. 8 bits = 1 byte so divide your 20 megabits by 8 and you get your download speed in megabytes (2.5mb/s).

I max out around 2.2-2.3mb/sec so it's fairly close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you skysaxon and Newtown. Any reason why file sharing host speeds are ~400-600 KB/sec MAX? Although I am using rapidshare Pro, having same speeds with megaupload, hotfile and mediafire. Anyone else with that problem?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The speed test you're referencing is measuring in megabits as opposed to your download rate being in megabytes. 8 bits = 1 byte so divide your 20 megabits by 8 and you get your download speed in megabytes (2.5mb/s).

I max out around 2.2-2.3mb/sec so it's fairly close.
Correct, except your notation is wrong. Small b is for bits, capital B is for bytes. So 20 Mb/s = 2.5 MB/s. Unfortunately these are often used incorrectly so people get easily confused.

Also note that there is some overhead with TCP/IP so even though your data rate may be 20 Mb/s, the speed at which you receive data is about 10% less so that's why you max out in the 2.2-2.3 MB/s range. That figure is how fast you're receiving the actual file so it doesn't include the TCP/IP overhead.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great explanation grog.

I get 2.2MB/s consistently with torrents that have enough sources.

I'm sure you'd get something similar from the file download sites if you had pay access, no doubt they are throttling free connections.

I don't find web surfing slow.. first I've heard of that. Novus is fantastic. I've had all forms of Telus, Shaw, and Novus "high speed" since the early days of shaw's cable service which was .5 Mb/s if I recall... 50kb/sec seemed like lightning!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great explanation grog.

I get 2.2MB/s consistently with torrents that have enough sources.

I'm sure you'd get something similar from the file download sites if you had pay access, no doubt they are throttling free connections.

I don't find web surfing slow.. first I've heard of that. Novus is fantastic. I've had all forms of Telus, Shaw, and Novus "high speed" since the early days of shaw's cable service which was .5 Mb/s if I recall... 50kb/sec seemed like lightning!
I have rapidshare premium (They call it pro now) and still the speeds are very much below what they should be!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have rapidshare premium (They call it pro now) and still the speeds are very much below what they should be!!
How are you downloading? Are you using a download manager of some sort or just the built-in download manager in the browser? If you're just using your browser then try a download manager like Free Download Manager. Your browser's download manager will typically just use a single thread to download a file whereas a download manager will break the file into chunks and open up 10-20 threads to the server simultaneously. This is often needed to max out your connection with some servers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fixed my browser issue. New version of Chrome fixed the problem. Yay.

Just for grins - Usenet download speed: approx 2300 KB/s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im new to usenet, i always came across usenet website but thought they were spam! So how does it work? how much is it? and any recommended sites to start searching/downloading from? Im thinking of usenet as an alternative to rapidshare since the new rs is 5X more expensive

·
Registered
113 Posts
These products are really only for serious movie/games/music downloaders but man, there is virtually nothing out there that is not available.

Giganews has many plans, up to about $25/mo. You can easily d/l an entire allotment of Novus monthly space (110 GB).

You need something to search and download from Giganews. Grabit has a search feature for $3/mo that allows you to search across the entire Giganews database. It is otherwise free to download with three free searches per mo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They bumped the NET20 bandwidth from 110GB up/110GB down to 125/125. Not sure about you guys but I always hit the bandwidth limit so this is a welcome change.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always pay two or more (sometimes a lot more) $5 bumps a month so yes, I am very happy. I checked the the number on the 1st and thought Novus just did it for me because of my extra bandwidth requirements each month! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice boost.

I am getting some very tempting offers from Telus in the mail. Hopefully Novus will step up and increase their offerings. I really don't want to go back to the nightmare of Telus support. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Novus is providing me with excellent speeds and service.
2.3-D/1.1-U I usually get near 100GBs a month, but rarely over.

Right now I am on a 1 year promo plan:
$10 Net
$10 Cable
$3.75 HD Sports

Obviously this will not last but I couldn't ask for anything more, except maybe better PVR software.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts