Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the success of Telus Optik, and what appears to be Shaw's response in the form of a new system coming in Q1-2011, with similar multi-room, multi-device functionality, does anybody know what Novus has planned, if anything?

They seem to emulate Shaw's system, but their network would be a perfect fit for IPTV like Telus Optik.

My current TV/Internet/Phone bundle from Novus is impossible to beat, but I'm looking at approx $130/mnth for Optik vs the $105 I pay now with Novus, and it's tempting given the extra features (especially if I can get 3 HD feeds).

·
Registered
10 Posts
What I really like about Telus Optik is that I can get my US feeds from Boston.

Novus used to get the feeds from Boston but then switched to Detroit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do NOT understand why the firmware on SHAW and Novus is so ANCIENT.

Most US cable groups at least use updated firmware/software that aren't out of 1994.

I have a PACE box, would this box be extendable to additional rooms in the future?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree. Firmware / EPG is crap on Novus.

Sound drop-outs galore.

Every time I see the TELUS OPTIK iPhone EPG, I salivate.

The excellent pricing and internet services are keeping me with Novus so far...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am making the jump to Telus, already bought the HW, just waiting to watch the stuff on my PVR.

The intro pricing will be cheaper, and I'm going to hang on to the Novus HW (former Shaw HW so I can even re-activate with them) and just play them off against each other... although I can't see going back to Shaw or Novus unless they make big changes. And with Shaw that's likely to mean $500+ HW...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When my 6 month promo pricing is up, I'll go with whoever will give me the best deal. Although I have to say, so far I really like the Telus system. Anyroom PVR and 3 HD streams at once can't be beat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am having serious hardware envy over Telus's system. The PVR looks amazing (compared to my Pace PVR that craps out every couple of days). Also the iPhone control looks cool too. And today I learn that Telus customers can watch on demand shows on an iPad. I may be switching after 6 years as a novus customer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts