Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow....took a three dollar increase in September. Taking another two dollar increase for HD sports, because of Sportsnet One....a channel I don't want.

It's amazing how satellite television initially tried to market themselves as different from cable.

Who can tell the difference now?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unfortunately the raise because of Sportsnet One was something that couldn't be avoided in the end. I know alot of people have said that they didn't want Sportnet One....but tons of people do...go take a look at the Bell forum and look at the post count about Sportsnet One. One of the conditions of getting the channel was that it had to be put in the base package...this is the same for all providers...and of course the channel costs money...shocking right? So it comes down to whether the providers are willing to suck up the cost of it....I doubt any will for any sustained period of time.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sure they could have avoided the raise you just tell Rogers to take a hike and while you're at it you remove all Sporstnet channel from Shaw Direct packaging. You might want to still offer it a la carte for those who want it but don't package it with the rest. It not a big loss for me since they got blackout 99% of the time in my region! Make that crap something you can only buy a la carte and I bet nobody in the east of Ottawa will be willing to pay for it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks to the Western Value Pack, I had a net decrease in cost with the retention of most of my channels. I was set to drop HD sports, but now I don't need to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...that's my other favourite thing about SD...no notice. You'll see a prorated adjustment on your bill to show you that your already paying the increase, and a note stating the HD Sports bundle has gone up two dollars, yada, yada, yada.

Oh, there's also a 3rd page with your bill trumpeting all the hockey games that Sportsnet one carries...but I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of them are blacked out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
it's amazing how satellite tv has become a total rip off
1 pay 120 $ a month for most channels i dont watch because of bundled channels
things should have stayed like it was in the late 70s early 80s
you buy a satellite system and everything in the clear and channels pay themself with advertissements (as they still do today with infomercials)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well its just that $2 for a *lousy* channel is a bit much, especially when theres already four or five Sportsnet. And a channel that I have not watched.

This model that Starchoice is using cannot work for very much longer, theres no more money in my pocket for TV, I am all stretched out. If people want channels let them pay for it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Rogers wouldn't let providers carry Sportsnet One A la Carte, so Shaw Direct couldn't do that. Blackouts have nothing to do with Sportsnet One or Shaw Direct.

Shaw Direct gave notice that HD Sports would go up by $2 the day after they added Sportsnet One.

I think that One is a worthy channel to have because of Senators, Premier League, college football and MLB coverage. Is it worth $2, maybe not, but its a channel that lots of people will watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being force-fed a channel I don't want is a crappy way of doing business.

Being given a price increase for the second time in 2 months is also unacceptable.

Not having choice is cable's way of doing business not satellite's.

But as I said before the distinction has become almost indistinguishable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
All the Habs games are on RDS and all the TV show I watch I can get from the net am about ready to downgrade to the bare minimum and tell them where they can shove all that crap!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the actual price increases? Is it $2 for HD Sports and that's it? Or is there actually more than that. And it starts November 1, is that right? I called today because I noticed my real-time total on the Web site was high. The CSR told me that my bill was (without tax) about $7 higher than I figure I thought it should be. I didn't bother getting him to itemize everything to figure it out as my bill for the month closes off in a couple of days and then I can look at the bill online. But if anyone knows what *specifically* has gone up, that would be helpful to know.

The Hans

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I can remember..HD sports is going up $2 a month and HD combo is going up $1 a month....and it all had to do with Sportsnet One from Rogers.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The Hans...

I think the HD Sports package is going up $2.00 on Nov. 1st or if you get the HD Combo pack at $9.99 it's only going up $1.00. As far as the $7.00 increase did you order a 630 pvr and keep the 530 or sent it back yet? They add a MSF of $5.99 which will be refunded when they get the 530 back.
Check your bill online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts