1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The November list

* NBA League Pass
On Free Preview Now!
Channels: 442-446/447-449 (Standard Definition/High Definition).
Available via: HD Sports or individually for $4.99.

* Twist TV
Discovery Health is now Twist TV. Enjoy it on free preview until November 30.
Channel: 563/226 (Classic/Advanced).
Available via: Your Life or Take 1/2.

* Cosmopolitan TV
Enjoy a free preview until November 30.
Channel: 569 Classic or 198 Advanced.
Available via: Lifestyle or Take 1/2

* Aux
On Free Preview Starting November 4!
Channel: 585/269 (Classic/Advanced).
Available via: Music or Take 1/2.
NOTE: Available only with 8PSK compatible receivers: 209/319/505/530/605/630

* Bite
Channel: 368/68 (Classic/Advanced).
Available via: English Essentials or Take 1/2.

* The Pet Network
Channel: 556/187 (Classic/Advanced).
Available via: Smart Stuff or Take 1/2.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far Aux is an interesting channel. Who would believe that we would see again a Music video channel that actually is showing Music Video 24/7 with none of that reality crap! I wonder how long it will last?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What is 8PSK? Could you briefly explain?
c/p

8PSK (8 Phase Shift Keying) is a phase modulation algorithm.

Phase modulation is a version of frequency modulation where the phase of the carrier wave is modulated to encode bits of digital information in each phase change.

The "PSK" in 8PSK refers to the use of Phased Shift Keying. Phased Shift Keying is a form of phase modulation which is accomplished by the use of a discrete number of states. 8PSK refers to PSK with 8 sates. With half that number of states, you will have QPSK. With twice the number of states as 8PSK, you will have 16PSK.

Because QPSK has 8 possible states 8PSK is able to encode three bits per symbol.

8PSK is less tolerant of link degradation than QPSK, but provides more data capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-shift_keying

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
To step back form QCK's fine description, Shaw began their service with a variety of QPSK transmission, and as such, all their receivers can get them.
To get more programming per transponder, they started using 8PSK for HD channels about four years ago (requring replacement/upgrade of a number of legacy HD systems), and this year, for SD channels (requiring same for the receivers which have only QPSK tuners).

·
Registered
146 Posts
(requring replacement/upgrade of a number of legacy HD systems)
If I'm not mistaken, the only Shaw receivers capable of receiving 8PSK are: DSR209, DSR319 (now discontinued), DSR5xx, and DSR6xx. Anything older than any of these, and you will not receive the channel........?

Certain SDef channels have been already been converted to 8PSK, and eventually, they all will, rending to older receivers unusable. So far, those converted are limited to several ethnic channels and two French time-shifted SRC channels. These were converted earlier this summer, but any further conversion doesn't seem to be a Shaw priority for some reason....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well that's great. I can see the new channels, but neither can my wife or daughter.

And it's only going to get worse as they shift more channels over.

I have the 505 in the room with the home theater.
My wife has a 500 (I've already been screwed over with that receiver, thank you very much) in the bedroom and my daughter has a 3** series in her room. Obviously they can't get these channels at all.

I wish they would cut some sort of trade in deal for long time subscribers. We've been with them for years and some of us just can't afford to swap out all our receivers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
30 $ per receivers... refurbished DSR 319
Interesting that there would be many of the 319 refurbs lying around.....weren't they on the market for only a very short time?

I got one from a vendor in Montreal in June at a very good price ( $10 less than the 209), but I don't think it was a refurb......is there any way to tell if it's new or refurb?

In any case, it works great, and solved the 8PSK situation that had blanked out channels 703 & 704 on the DSR-315. Not a big deal with 703 & 704, as they're just time-shifted SRC, but if (when) RDS went.....:eek:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
They likely are not refurbs, rather unsold stock.

The 319 was pulled from sale because the were not selling; it had no benefits over the 209 for the people that would use them on an old SDTV. More adavanced users that could take advantage of the added features of the 319 went right to the 505, because they would be HD by now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They likely are not refurbs, rather unsold stock.

The 319 was pulled from sale because the were not selling; it had no benefits over the 209 for the people that would use them on an old SDTV. More adavanced users that could take advantage of the added features of the 319 went right to the 505, because they would be HD by now.
I wait a bit on getting the 319 deal after all with the 605 out you might get the same price on a 505 soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
.....for the people that would use them on an old SDTV. More adavanced users that could take advantage of the added features of the 319 went right to the 505, because they would be HD by now.
I absolutely love your response.....you make it sound like any TV that's not HDef probably still uses vacuum tubes and comes in a wooden cabinet with knobs on the front...:D:D

I be "old", and my TV may be "old", but I fully expect to outlive some of the "more advanced users" whose blood pressure is through-the-roof over issues relating to the 5xx's & the 6xx's....

Sorry...your point regarding the 319 is well-made, but I just could resisit a dig in light of the verbiage you used.....:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts