Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
Joined
·
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you new to the Digital Forums, the Videotron forum is a new one that was split off from the Rogers Cable forum.

The two forums were initially one because they both use quipment form Scientific Atlanta.

You may wish to review the Rogers forums as it may contain some of your answers to SA specific questions.

Enjoy the forums.
Hugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Is this really true? I called videotron the other day to activate an account using a Rogers digital cable box and they told me they could not, that I would have to buy a new cable box from them... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,246 Posts
douggyd said:
Is this really true? I called videotron the other day to activate an account using a Rogers digital cable box and they told me they could not, that I would have to buy a new cable box from them... :confused:

This has more to do with network security and not being able to identify stolen equipment. though either Rogers or Videotron may begin to issue a model that the other does not ( 3270?). as of now they seem to have matched each other model for model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Mole said:
This has more to do with network security and not being able to identify stolen equipment. though either Rogers or Videotron may begin to issue a model that the other does not ( 3270?). as of now they seem to have matched each other model for model.
So does this mean I should be able to use my old equipment or not???
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,434 Posts
As a "matter of course" most cable companies will not (or will make it difficult for you) to authorize a STB not purchased or rented from them.

Having said that, most cable companies WILL activate a "legitimate" STB. What is that?

- a STB that doesn't have any debts against it like PPV
- a STB that is not still owned by another cable company or person (ie rented out instead of purchased)
- If you have moved from one city to another and the STB is yours, without debt, again, they should activate the STB.

So, if your STB is legal and you've recently moved, then they should activate it. Ask for a "level 2" CSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I still have had no luck in convincing Videotron to allow me to use my old Rogers box. I own it, free and clear and the model that they sold me is almost identical. Is there any way I can get around this?
Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,457 Posts
As a rule of thumb, in my observation, Scientific Altlanta and their licensed cousins are much harder to cross provider authorise than Motorola hardware.

My understanding, with SciAtl equipment, is when a provider receives a lot of boxes from the manufacturer, they get authorisation codes for those boxes, which no other provider will have, hence their reluctance/inability to authorise them. The boxes sold retail in a market come from the provider, not the manufacturer directly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
douggyd said:
I still have had no luck in convincing Videotron to allow me to use my old Rogers box. I own it, free and clear and the model that they sold me is almost identical. Is there any way I can get around this?
Thanks,
Any luck douggyd convincing Videotron?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top