Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I really enjoy the forum and the challenge of a do-it-yourself antenna. My particular challenge is that I'm trying to get my state's local WTNH transmitting on channel 10. Here is my TVFool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9fc06595f368f0

I'm curious to know what you guys think my chances of receiving it are. I just started reading the forum last week and I've made some simple antennas like a folded dipole with width set for 195 mhz. Also a 2 bay 24" whisker antenna and a crude Gray-Hoverman with narods. I've been able to get all the channels shown above 10 on the TVFool report mounting the antenna on a pole on the roof but not even a blip of signal on 10. I'm guessing I need some kind of high gain VHF-Hi antenna like a Yagi but how big would I have to go? Is there a better choice or is the situation hopeless? Appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
but not even a blip of signal on 10.
2 edge stations can be hard or sometimes impossible to get. Try the folded dipole at various heights and locations around the yard.

You could use the folded dipole to make a high gain yagi following K7MEMs yagi calculator, or using the stand alone program called "Yagi Calculator".

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
If ya wanna get an idea how big a vhf hi yagi might be, here's a link to the k7mem yagi calculator. 2 edge likely because of some rough terrain there? if so, maybe try aiming at some off the wall azimuths too, maybe you'll get lucky and catch some signal bouncing around off hills, etc...see if ya can at least catch a blip. If ya can at least catch a blip, a decent pre-amp right at the antenna might help ya to pull it out of the dirt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts