Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a silly question considering Bell will nickel and dime everyone, but I just received the final phone bill for my late grandmother and Bell has listed the following charges:

LD Network 30 Day Deactivation Charges 6.49
Deactivation Smart Touch Service 5.00
LD Plan 30 Day Deactivation Charge 2.80

Do they really charge fees to cancel service for the dead? I know they are low, but this low? They shake the rest of us upside down for every penny, but the dead?

I did get credits for a number of items including the CRTC deferral account so I don't actually owe any money, but $15 in my pocket is better than Bell's at the end of the day. Another silly question, but will I get anywhere if I complain. She had that number and phone active for decades with Bell, so surely they could disconnect the line for no charge at this point.

Looking at this Bell bill just makes me shudder. I should have gotten her off them earlier...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Go to the Toronto Star website and locate columnist Ellen Roseman. Email her with your problem. She can help.

Bell never fails to make me happy I left them. :-/

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry for you loss but funeral homes make lots of money off of deceased people. So does our government. Because you pass away, the government doesn't stop taxing you and your debts are still in effect.

As someone who has wound up estates, the truth is that life goes on. Business' are not charity. The purpose of the estate is to pay off the remaining debts of the person. This is why we have estates and executors of them.

At the end of life, claims are made against the estate by all creditors and they are paid off. The remaining assets are distributed.

Do you expect that when a person dies, their debts should be forgiven but their assets left untouched?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If you think Bell is bad, you don't want to see the lawyer's fees. :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the lawyers...but that's another story.

The reason I ask is because I asked if there was a cancellation charge because I wasn't giving 30 days notice and he said there wasn't in the case of a deceased person. Then I get the bill... there is no line cancellation charge, but other cancellation charges instead.

I was just wondering if it was normal for them to charge these fees in the case of a deceased person.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My experience is that, with banks/cable/telco/gas/hydro etc, all the same rules apply.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Markf, I have been able to get these fees cancelled with other utilities; sometimes, a tactful phone call does the trick. A 'specific case' tip for executors to deceased Ontario residents: if the final will was notorized in Québec (i.e. formerly Québec residents moved to Ontario and passed away there), the notorized will is considered already probated - saving the lawyers fees. In Québec, authenticating a will as 'final' involves searching the provincial notarial and lawyer registries - a 40$ operation that can be requested online by an executor. This is the only document required, in addition to the will and death certificate, by banks and financial institutions in Ontario and Québec, to settle an estate.
However, if an executor shows up at an Ontario bank branch with the Quebec documents, no one at the branch, including the branch director, will have a clue as to what to do with them. Just ask them to send the package to their estate department and all will be well.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
I recently cancelled my Bell POTS line. My final bill had those cancellation fees as well. I spoke to a supervisor, and the fees were waived. Generally these fees are applied when you give Bell less than 30 days notice to cancel service. In my case, I had given the appropriate notice.

It's unfortunate that--even for the living--Bell (and other telcos) have introduced so many "Gotcha!" fees. It's extremely poor customer service...and perhaps borderline illegal. Though I'm sure their lawyers have advised them well...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A phone call cleared it up...after talking to 3 people, calling back twice because they couldn't transfer me from where I was transferred from and almost half an hour on hold.

Wonder how many ignore these types of charges and just accept them? Lots of revenue if nobody notices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have kept the phone bill under a deceased family member's name because changing probably a service fee of some kind, probably $50. I doubt Bell cares about the name if the bill is paid on time all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think they will change it for free. They did it for me years ago. I think it's an one time thing though. I think it's in their best interests to as if you ever skip, it's easier to find you.

But dealing with estates, not fun.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I nuked my Bell home phone about 3 years ago, I do not recall any extra charges. My last bill was the same as any other bill. I did give them tonnes of notice though.

The Bell guy tried to keep me as a customer in case I needed 911 service. "Isn't your life worth $30 per month?"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Some cell providers allow the phones to still dial 911 and the operator even though the phone can't make other calls.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe that it's a CRTC regulation that expired cell phones can call out to 911 even though the call can not be returned by the dispatcher if it drops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts