Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm new here and have read through the stickies and done many searches for current DVR options for OTA Antenna reception. I have only found 2 options that meet my requirements (Guide, Hard Drive, single or dual tuner, dual preferred, scheduled recording, not a HTPC).

The two I have found are the Channel Master CM-7000 and the Tivo system. I don't like the Tivo due to the monthly sub. Are there any other options / recommendations?

I am getting a Channel Master CM4228HD and amplifier as requred (not researched yet). I live in Chatham Ontario (North west corner of town) and have a Sharp Aquos TV with internal NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners. I have a TV Fool report but can't post it.

Thanks for any insight you may provide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wife doesn't want a HTPC, in case it crashes. That and I don't think she could even turn on a PC anymore. She is a complete Mac addict now, LOL.

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
.... I have only found 2 options that meet my requirements (Guide, Hard Drive, single or dual tuner, dual preferred, scheduled recording, not a HTPC).
I concur with your observation and needs, as the last thing I wanted to do was give more control over to a proven troublesome product like Windoze, and which proves that in a quick start in a limited market combined with slick marketing of a second rate product, gave rise to the term, 'you can fool most of the people some of the time'. Don't get me started on cable/satellite.

Since you also stated you don't want TIVO, the only options remaining with something with a HDD are the CM7000PAL (records in HD) or the Magnavox MDR515H (records in SD with automatic upconversion). Check out this link on the site for more info. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56806&page=16

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would recommend the Magnavox MDR515H even though it does not have a guide. I have been using mine for recording OTA programming and the playback quality on my 40" Sharp Aquos is excellent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FTA Satellite Box

OK, the last post didn't show up because of a link (I'm guessing).

I am going to try a FTA satellite receiver that has an ATSC tuner and see what happens. I have an older one that isn't HD but has the PVR function via USB.

The one that I'm looking at if it works is the Sonicview SV 8000HD for $260 (about $100 cheaper than the Channel Master)

I will post my finding.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.