Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having this problem about a week ago on channel 514 in Rogers Ottawa. I still haven't resolved it. The other CBC HD Channel 544 works fine.

57's response (in the Bell thread) that I may only be getting center and surrounds don't apply to my case since I tested and I can hear L/Rs in various other channels including CBC 544.

I also checked my UMC-1 pre-pro's settings and I can't find anything that would explain this problem.

Any more ideas? TIA.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
PBS is another channel that often sends out improperly encoded DD5.1 signals. Do you have the problem on PBS? You may need to watch/record several programmes since not everything is improperly encoded.

On the CBC 514 do you have the issue on all programming - much of it is improperly encoded (DD5.1 with audio only from the LF & RF), however, newer programming like Hockey or Nature of Things is usually proper DD5.1 (audio from all channels)?

Have you performed a reboot of the STB and have you checked your signal strength and S/N ratio on CBC? Have you tried analogue audio just as a test (red/white cables).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Note: I have noticed since the beginning of March 2011, the sound on CBC-HD (Ch514 on Rogers), that was in 5.1, is now in 2.0 for the programs listed below. My AVR displays DD 2.0 (not fake 5.1). However, the sound is still in 5.1 on CBC-W-HD (Ch582 on Rogers) for these programs. Needless to say, I use CBC-W-HD to record those programs.
o Little Mosque on the Prairie
o InSecurity
o Nature of Things

PS: On my OnAir OTA HD receiver, I can select one of two audio channels. The default one (named Audio1: Eng) displays as DD 5.1 on my AVR, but usually carries only the LF & RF sounds (fake 5.1). The other audio channel (named Audio2: Spa) displays as DD 2.0 on my AVR and is in English DD 2.0. This is probably the audio channel currently used by CBC-HD on Rogers. On my Rogers PVR (8300), under Quick Settings > Choose Language, I can only select the English one, and it's in DD 2.0.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
That doesn't appear to be the case in Toronto. I record "Best Recipes Ever" every day at 3PM and this is a 2 channel programme. It is sent out as improperly encoded DD5.1 with only the LF & RF channels active. The commercials on the programme are sometimes true DD5.1 or sometimes 2 channel, improperly encoded. I do not recall seeing any DD2.0 on CBC in quite a while, only DD5.1 either properly or improperly encoded. I always use CBC (or PBS) during my optimizations to explain the various formats when talking to clients about audio formats. What comes across on CBC is always either proper DD5.1 or improperly encoded 5.1. I suppose it could be different outside the GTA. Marc would be able to comment if he reads this thread.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked 514 again. It's playing audio correctly with Dex Hamilton cartoon. No audio only on some shows that I record - the national and rick mercer.

I just taped different shows to see if it's just those two shows.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
Lex, perhaps it's an incompatibility issue with your pre-pro. Here's an hypothesis from another thread where people were having issues with certain channels.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1042006#post1042006

Since it's only with certain programmes on certain channels, it's certainly possible that a certain type of signal causes the issue. Did you try several PBS programmes as I mentioned in my earlier post? (Rick Mercer is usually DD5.1.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem with PBS or any other channel that I know of.

It's possible that my firmware update on pre-pro created something different from previous set up but channel work immediately after update.

We'll see again tonight. Recorded the national before the Sens game on CBC 514.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sound on CBC-HD back in 5.1 in my area

Good news. The sound on CBC-HD (Ch514 on Rogers) is back in 5.1 in my area (Carleton Place, west of Ottawa). I was watching "The Nature of Things" (Save My Lake) at 7pm, and the sound was in 5.1 properly encoded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts