Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i had the hockey game on, then went to put my daughter to bed and when I came back down, there was no sound from the speakers. i have the PVR running via optical cable to my marantz sr7000. picture is fine. This morning, same thing, no sound. Nothing was touched while this happened and the receiver still has sound for CD's, DVD's, radio, etc. I checked the connection from the back of the PVR and the back of the receiver and both are fine. Could the PVR be fubar'd from a digital audio out perspective? Could the cable be bad? I have had this set up for some time without issue. The receiver indicates it "no audio" so it is not receiving a signal.

This one has me baffled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
problem solved

I rebooted the PVR and it works again. weird. anyone else that runs into this, unplug your PVR and press the power button when you plug it back in and that will reboot it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This happens to me every couple of months or so, with my receiver showing absolutely no signal at all. As above, a reboot clears it up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so its happened again and after two reboots, nothing, no sound and no audio signal coming to the receiver. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Check that the audio settings in the STB are set properly for your application. Setting should be on Dolby Digital for optical connection, not HDMI. Sometimes, even if the setting is "correct", switching away from that setting and then back again will fix the issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok figured that out it is set to DD as I am using an optical out - still no sound and no data going to the receiver

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Unplug the optical cable from the back of the AVR and check to see if there is light (red) coming through. If there is, check the settings in the AVR to make sure you're on the correct input and that the input has been properly assigned for that particular optical input

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will check this, but it seems like an unlikely cause, since i hadn't switched any of the inputs or anything else for that matter. is it possible my pvr (rogers SA8300) has a problem?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so here's the silly problem. my 1 year old had played with the various cinema effects, selecting one that for whatever reason, wasn't compatible. putting it back to auto fixed it. I am an idiot.

thanks "57" for your patience.

Now: any suggestions as to how to keep a 1 year old away from your stereo equipment?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I have no idea how changing an effect would result in no sound at all. It might send sound to the incorrect speakers, or provide an undesirable effect, but no sound is something I didn't think would be possible, unless the AVR is improperly configured for your particular speaker setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problems again and again

It happens to me all the time! In order to get the sound back (after it fades away) I increase the volume all the way up the the sound returns, however very very very LOUD. Needless to sa it shocks everyone els in the house.

My plan is to return all the boxes to ROGERS and cancel my subscription.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts