Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm sure I know the answer to this, I'll ask it anyway.

Is it possible to buy a 4K 50"+ TV without the 'Smart" part? I have an Apple TV box.

Failing that, might there be a way to 'dumb down' the 'Smart' icons etc.? I know every TV set would have different ways to do this.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
It's doubtful you'll find a new TV today without the smart features. Even if you did, there would likely be no benefit to doing so.

If you're concerned about privacy, yes, you should check the settings to ensure that no signals are being "sent back" from the TV, and yes, each TV would likely do this slightly differently.

Also, some TVs are set up so they default to the "smart page" and you then need to click on the "TV" icon to watch TV. It's usually possible to defeat this and have the TV start on the "TV" (HDMI) input.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 57.

Privacy is not the issue. I'm sure my info is in the hands of Nigerian princes and Russian criminal gangs [shout-out]. I hope that one day they make a mistake and pay my taxes!

Your second point about defaulting to the HDMI input will suit me just fine.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It might be possible to find a commercial grade monitor that has no smart features. I doubt it would be cost effective.

If there is no other solution, it should be possible to send a direct HDMI input command after the TV is turned on.

If you don't want any info being sent back to the company, just don't connect the TV to the network.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the real easy way to stop the apps from working at all is do not set up your tv through internet because without the internet your tv apps can't work

·
Registered
134 Posts
The best deal is the Sharp LC-40Q3000U. Basic television available for less than $200 at No Frills and other Loblaws stores. Bought one recently and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I sympathise with the OP. I have turned off the WIFI on my TV because I never use any app on the TV but as a result I have to put up with an annoying "you are not connected to the internet" message every 15 minutes or so. I have not found any way to disable it. (Sony TV 2016 model).

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
..I have to put up with an annoying "you are not connected to the internet" message every 15 minutes or so.
You'll need to look into your other user menu settings to see what is causing this message. For example if you have "auto firmware updates" enabled, or something similar, then you need to disable that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts