Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying for two days with three calls to tech support have all the right coordinates but can't bring in the sat. Just how hard is this supposed to be!? HELP!!!:(

·
Registered
292 Posts
with the expensive metres we have hanging off our belts, very easy..lol
do you have any obstructions ie: trees ect? is your mast perfectly level in both directions? if not the given numbers are no good.
is the rg6 running directly to the receiver? no switches,splitters ect in line?
are you not entitled to have a pro come do it for free?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately it is outside my 5th wheel on a tripod. I've run bell for the past four years on shaky uneven ground but have had this amount of trouble just finding the sat let alone getting a strong enough signal, just can't understand what the problem is........
That plus the fact the screen needed to check for a signal only stays available for one minute at a time is just plain frustrating!

·
Registered
292 Posts
well shaw is lower then bell so ensure trees aren't an issue. it sounds like the fact the tripod and pipe is not level is your issue. if the pipe is not level then the skew and elevations numbers will be different, and proper skew is extremely important because shaw transmits linear signals not circular.
get it as level as you can and start over, remember very small movements pause 3 secs small bump again, count to 3 ect. the receiver will have a delay.
is 2+ wasted days of your life really worth the cost of having an installer come?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'll be trying again tomorrow maybe on a table to get a better chance at being level your comment regarding the difference between bell and shaw answers the question on the ease of getting a bell signal compared to shaw, thanks for that.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
if this is a place you permenantly park your your camper i'd look for a better mounting alternative, but the table will help, and a small level will make all the difference in the world for you.
let us know how it goes, good luck tommorow!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
well shaw is lower then bell
Depends where you are out here in BC Shaw is WAY higher than Bell

That plus the fact the screen needed to check for a signal only stays available for one minute at a time is just plain frustrating!
It sounds like you have the 605/630 that reboots on the signal strength screen, maybe try the Options 4,7 screen instead of the 4,3,1 screen. I am not sure if it will update the signal quick enough but if you do like Installer suggests wait 3 secs between moves it should work for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You do not state what coordinates you are using, but if you are using a compass to get the direction, have you made the proper correction between "true" azimuth and "magnetic" azimuth, if necessary?

You might consider using dishpointer.com to get a "visual" of the proper direction to point the dish, thus bypassing the need to use a compass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up and running got dish pointer.com and my neighbor happened to have a signal finder made life so much easier I pick my sat signal finder up on Monday! Thanks to all for the help and your contribution to me retaining my sanity!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
always apreciate an update when the outcome is good!
congrats and enjoy!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts