Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a dual tuner HD receiver and have had an older (5 yrs) tv hooked to the second tuner with no issues (using coax).

I purchased a new Samsung LCD TV and it will not recognize a signal from the receiver.

I also tried this with a new 10" LCD TV and it would not pick up a signal either.

I went back to the old tube tv and it worked fine.

I have made sure my inputs and sources are correct for the tv.
I have tried new coax cables with no success.
I have done a factory reset on the tv.
I have tried unplugging all the equipment with no success.

I am not getting much help from Samsung as it does appear that the tv is ok.

Could my signal just not be strong enough for this new TV?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Is the TV on the "TV" input, tuned to channel 3 or 4, whatever the STB (set top box) is sending? Have you rebooted the STB? Here's a list of things to check:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

I assume you're using the regular RF-coax connection? I thought you'd only get the "no signal" notice if you were on an input like AV1, which you would not be using if you're using RF-coax. If you're on the "TV" input, you'd usually get "snow" or the correct signal on channel 3 or 4, etc. I don't know if you need to run a channel scan on the TV tuner when you start up the TV or not, depends on the TV.

Here's a useful post for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response and the links

Believe me I have read dozens of posts here and elsewhere to find a solution before I posted.

Yes the TV is set to TV as the input source.

I have tried setting the TV to both channel 3 and 4.

I have rebooted the system (I will recheck this but I assume that unplugging it from the electrical outlet and waiting and plugging back in reboots it - it seemed to anyway)

I am using the regular RF-coax
I get the snow on the screen, but also the no signal error message (both continuously)

The instructions say not to run a channel scan if you are using a box - but I did anyway once all else failed - still no success.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Is is possible that the signal is not strong enough?
The cable is not long from the receiver though - less than 12 feet.

I think there is a signal booster or something - there is a small silver box in one of the lines, but not sure if that is what it is or if it is just to the receiver - Bell did the install.

I did a search here for "No Signal" but the No part gets removed because it is only two letters so there are many, many posts with the word Signal in it :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Questions:
What Bell Receiver do you have?
How exactly are you connecting the receiver to the television?

The preferred method to hook up an HD receiver to an HD television is via component cables and audio cables or HDMI.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Hugh, I'm assuming that the OP has an HDTV hooked up properly (HDMI or component video) to the first tuner and this is his second TV (which is viewing an SD signal via RF-coax). I assume the first TV is fine. OP please confirm. I assume the OP knows he's getting only SD via the RF-coax.

Check to make sure that the receiver is sending out the signal on channel 3 and not some other channel. Also make sure the receiver is in "Two Tuner" mode and not single TV mode, etc.

I went back to the old tube tv and it worked fine.
What channel is the Tube TV on?

The instructions say not to run a channel scan if you are using a box
That's only if you're using one of the AV connections such as composite, component, HDMI. If you're using RF-coax, the signal needs to be tuned by the tuner at whatever channel the STB is sending.

Please confirm that my assumptions as mentioned above are correct regarding your primary TV, etc.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Sounds like a 9242 to me, as that is the only Bell HD Dual Tuner that outputs BOTH TV1 & 2 via the same Coax output (on different Channels), so the RF output should be on Ch60 for TV2, I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My receiver is a 9242

This is my second tv
My first HDTV is hooked to the receiver using HDMI

This HDTV (I know the second tuner does not give HD) is being hooked up via RF-coax.

The first TV is fine - no issues.
The second tuner also worked no issues one week ago on an older tv.
Now with the new TV it is not working.

I will review to make sure it is sending to channel 3, but I know it was for the other tv and that is also why I tried the tv on 3 or 4

I will also review to ensure it is in dual mode - this is one thing that I had not considered checking - so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the replies and the suggestions.

I will also do the channel scan again if this does not work. But like I said I did that once once all else failed.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Pretty sure you cannot use Ch3.

Have a look in;

MENU, 6, 1, 3, it will show the Channel # for TV2, default, as I said is 60.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Check for Cable/Ant

Both the TV and the 9242 are selectable for either Cable or Antenna, and selecting the proper one one either/both is required because it changes the frequencies the signals are distributed at.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The backfeed will NOT work on channel 3, because that option is not available. Tech's usually set it to cable, and channel 73.

You're best off checking your settings as Pinza suggested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it - thanks gang.

that is what it was - you have to set the specific channel and whether air or cable to receive the signal to and set your tv and receiver to that channel

thanks for all the help

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts