Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that the Shaw Go Gateway App is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android Tablets but there does not seem to be any love for Android Phones.

What gives? Any ideas when it'll be available for Android Phones?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Oh' I got the message that it was 'not good for my country' and assumed my android unlocked former T-Mobile phone was American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
The reason it looks poor on phones is that the ads take up a third of the screen. It would be fine if they kacked the commercials, but we can't have that, can we?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There weren't any ads on the version I had during trial testing. The problem was DPI scaling that didn't allow the info to be scaled properly on the smaller screen of phones. The next version is supposed to have that fixed. Apparently the scaling can be resolved if you root your phone but I had no interest in doing that. It wasn't something Shaw was recommending be done either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For android phone users (I don't have one) maybe you can try the arris whole home app instead of the shaw gateway one. It is in the google play store under arris. Looking at the pictures it shows phone and tablet pics. Maybe it's possible to login using your shaw credentials . It says version 2.3. I'd be interested to know. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Arris app (iOS version) searches for media players on your local network vs connecting through your Shaw Cable account (you log in using your shaw email or customer ID) so I would guess that the Android app wouldn't work for Shaw customers either.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is what does not make sense to me - Arris has an android App that works on phones/tablets - why not work off that one towards Shaw's production app? Alot seems to be related to the fact the other providers have the gateway modem enabled vs the separation shaw has for the gateway/portals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried the Arris app, and yeah, first (and ONLY) thing it does is continually search the network for media players. I dunno, maybe if your plugged a portal into the LAN it would find it... certainly if the gateway was also functioning as your cable modem, it would find them all....

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ARRIS app will not work, Shaw uses different authentication protocols as well the Shaw app has been customized specifically for Shaw.

I don't believe it was Shaw's intention to exclude a version for Android Phones. I know during the trial this came up a few times and many people were waiting on an updated release. If memory servers me correctly Shaw was still waiting for ARRIS to release the Shaw specific version so they could test prior to releasing to the public.

As a trial member I will say the folks at Shaw have been working extremely hard to get this product out to the masses.

*** Update ***
The 2.3 release has been made available to Shaw for internal testing and will soon be released to the trial groups for further testing.

https://community.shaw.ca/message/75958#75958

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Guess I'm out of luck for now. Graphics on two laptops not good enough to emulate Android, though it works on the newer desktop where I won't need the remote control! :)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You beat me to it. I was copying and pasting on my phone and FF crashed. When it came back up, there was your post. Did you somehow block me? LOL.

I loaded this earlier tonight and tried out a few things. Seems to work well and finally fits the screen as it should. There are likely still some bugs so users beware. There is one issue for sure that turns out is a 'Gateway' bug when using the app rather than an actual app issue so be sure to read the warnings.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So, I added a comment to that announcement.....they didn't like it, so deleted it. It was simply:

"Cool...now where is CBCNN HD?"

In a PM, they say I was off topic..but..I said the update was cool....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Not so much 'can' as 'does' cause a reset or the need for one. The best thing to do for now is NOT try and make any changes to series recordings using the app. If you do need to make a change, do it through a Portal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts