Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called SHAW to check if I could rent a HD PVR, but the CSR told me that as of Dec. 1st 2010 the only equipment I could rent is the regular digital terminal ($2.95 per month)

Can somebody confirm that this is correct? I am stunned as I wanted to rent a PVR, but now being forced to purchase it?

The website also only shows the purchase prices.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes that is correct. Shaw had a rental program that was stopped on Dec 1st. There has been no word if the program has stopped forever or if it will be coming back. All we know right now is that any customers are not able to rent HD equipment going forward after Dec 1st until we hear otherwise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder whats going to happen to the free rental HD box (Pace Summit) I was given while NFL Sunday Ticket was in effect. It was supposed to rollover to a paid rental at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes any customer who currently has a rental will continue to be able to rent the terminal. If you return it then you would not be able to get the rental back currently.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does this also effect any "Free Rental" or "Free Use" of HD-PVRs that are offered on a promotional basis to attract new "Satellite Winback" customer or to retain existing customers?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Satellite eligible winbacks are not rentals but purchased equipment that the customer gets to keep. No of the promotional offers offer rental HD equipment currently as far as I know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So I currently rent an HD PVR and was considering getting a HD PVR. Since I cannot rent a PVR anymore, I will have to buy one. I don't have the money to upgrade the television in the bedroom from an old tube TV to a HD TV, but I plan to. So the current HD box I rent, I should just unhook it and continue to rent it?

If I were to return it and in the future want HD in my bedroom, I'd have to buy an HD receiver or because I had rented in the past, I am able to rent again? I mean the rental fee is so minimal that if I have to continue paying for a few months before I pick up a HD TV that is fine too. Just checking out my options, I don't want to buy too many Shaw products as my job is fluid and I could transfer to outside of Shawland in the next year or two.

On that note, is Shaw's DCX3400 PVR compatible with Eastlink or Rogers? If I were to move outside of Shaw's coverage, I'd hope I wouldn't be stuck with a useless box.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a thought - I have no idea if the Shaw DCX3400 PVR is compatible with Rogers or Eastlink but if those cable companies are like Shaw, they won't allow another provider's box to be activated on their system. That is, even if by chance, Rogers did use the Motorolla DCX3400, they might give you a hassle and refuse to activate a Shaw PVR. You would have to buy one of their units. I think this is to protect their system and also, even though the box may be the same, it might have different software, etc. to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thinking of buying an HD PVR within the next 2 or 3 months, just wondering though if Shaw is going to come up with a new Motorola PVR anytime soon. Would hate to buy one and then a new one comes out a month later, Anyone know? thanks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
See this thread here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=130143&page=3 on new Whole Home equipment. No annoucement on manufacturer, pricing or release specifically or officially yet. Will be available within the coming months. Thats all I can say on that.

Regarding renting HD equipment anyone currently renting can continue to do so.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stupid Question then - If I don't have a cable box (analog only), but I just want to get a HD box for Sunday Ticket, will they let me rent for those 4 months, as it's for a specific reason, or will they make me buy one?

I'm guessing make me buy one, but I was hoping for special reasons such as this, they would let people rent knowing it's short term.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
We are not sure about the NFL season coming up but last season the rental program was still an option so customer were able to get a free rental HD terminal for the season due to a change in how we delivered the NFL and NHL packages.

Going forward we are not sure what the options will be as there are going to be new options starting in early March (not rental options, purchase ones).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts