Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up my PC to my HDTV but get no audio. I checked the TV manual and it said some cards don't send audio through an HDMI cable to a TV, but my laptop, an HP DV7-2273CL Notebook, isn't exactly cheap. Could it be I just have to go into the properties to activate something?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Open the Sound applet in Control Panel. Set HDMI to be the default sound device. The PC most likely needs to be connected to the TV to do this. It might need to be restarted after connecting. If there is no HDMI option, either a driver or necessary hardware is missing. Newer video cards/chips often support HDMI sound. Video cards/chips more than two years old probably won't.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Andrew, I'm up against the same problem as you; video but no audio using HDMI from Dell laptop to new Vizio HDTV; audio stays on the laptop.The problem is only with the Vizio because HDMI works good with 2 other HDTVs. I've spent hours noodling around for updated drivers and other info.
An odd thing I discovered too was when the HDMI cable is plugged into the Vizio it disables or makes the Windows Media Player unusable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I found that I had to reboot the PC with the TV on to get sound. Then I got an active splitter and the problem went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts