Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It will be on GolTV Canada live at 3:55pm ET. GolTV doesn't updated their broadcast schedule until Friday, but it will certainly be on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The real shame is that the match is not available in HD in Canada. Even ESPN Deportes in the US will have the match in HD, as well as GOL-TV/USA which has had all La Liga matches this season in HD.

How much can it cost GOL-TV/Canada to bring in its US counterpart's HD signal? It can use the same distribution it uses to provide Toronto FC matches.

Two El Clasicos over a 4 day span. Both in HD in the US, SD for Canadians. GOL-TV Canada doesn't care for its customers. Now, prove me wrong GOL-TV....nothing would make me happier.

hawk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I agree, but the TFC game on Saturday night wasn't even available in HD, at least on Shaw Direct. I heard it wasn't available in HD on Rogers either. It looks like Gol may be taking a step backwards in HD production.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tottenham v Real Madrid
2:45pm E.T. Wednesday.
UEFA Champions League Quarter-Finals 2nd Leg
All Sportsnet Channels - RDS Live

The best source for Soccer TV listings is:
http://footballtvcanada.blogspot.com/
I've never known this young Andy Pereira fellow to fail yet. He does a tremendous job with this web site.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's the response I received from Shaw Direct about the GOLTV HD feed:

At this time, there are no HD games scheduled to be carried by us. That doesn’t mean that we won’t have any in the future, just not within the next two weeks.

Would you be interested in subscribing to GolTV in standard definition so that you can at least view those games? It is available for $2.49 per month, and you can add Fox Sports World (which carries some European soccer) for only $0.50 more!

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct
GOLTV hasn't responded.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Got a vague response regards my request to SHAW for the GOLTVHD feed:

"We have reviewed your email and account and can advise you Our decisions on channels to carry are made carefully with consideration to factors including: CRTC regulations, mass appeal to channels, past success of similar channels, success of channels in other markets, technical and business implications. However, we have escalated your request to our programming department, and we thank you for making your interests known to us."

So, that's a big fat NO then, along with the NO towards Setanta HD.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not so vague, that seems to resonate as PRECISELY the same email I got from Shaw Cable years back on two occasions. Both when I was enquiring about goltv being added and then again about TSN2 (and that was just for SD back then). Both channels were eventually added so you might get lucky.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Oh great. GolTV is having one of those days. "Poor signal" and "difficulties from source" problems. At least three interruptions so far. We'll be lucky get the whole match at this rate.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not to worry, City had already won the real El Classico.
I'd rather win the derby AND the cup! ;)

Strangely, I hear Capello went to see some game in Spain ... there's just no accounting for taste.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
731 Posts
We soccer fans appear to be getting the short end of the stick lately. It's getting to be so bad that you can't rely on the Program Guide any more and especially when recording scheduled programs.

Because of the Manchester FA Cup semi-final I needed to record the other game that was on at the same time, Everton v Blackburn. When the Manchester semi-final ended I turned to my recordings only to find that the Nadal v Murray tennis match had been recorded and after fast forwarding, lo and behold that was followed by the West Brom v Chelsea game up until the end of the recorded time slot.

Not to be outdone altogether, I checked to see if the Everton game had been postponed until a later time and sure enough there it was .... at midnight !!!!
If that wasn't bad enough, when I tuned in at midnight a NBA game was in progress with 2 minutes or so left to play. Well, it was 12.15.am. when it finally ended, only to be then greeted with a notice that the regularly scheduled program would follow but that it was already in progress. Guess what ? The 'regularly scheduled program' turned out this time to be the West Brom v Chelsea game once again !!! :rolleyes::mad:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oh great. GolTV is having one of those days. "Poor signal" and "difficulties from source" problems. At least three interruptions so far. We'll be lucky get the whole match at this rate.
Video quality turned out to be excellent for me after the interruptions, don't get me started on the horrible audio though (well at least half of it anyway :mad: ).

Game wasn't much of a "classico" that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't see how you can complain that the conclusion of a live tennis match was being shown over a taped soccer game. Whenever tennis is on there is a serious possibility of overun, especially with the quality of players at the top right now. The same can be said for the NBA playoffs.

I don't know what happened to the Everton feed though. My best guess is that they had technical difficulties with it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm not complaining "that the conclusion of a live tennis match was being shown over a taped soccer game," they happened to be just the details of the incident. I'm complaining that regardless of what appears in the program guide no one, and I must confess I'm in the dark when it comes to trying to figure out who is actually responsible, bothers to amend what is shown in the guide to at least keep it current. In all cases that I stated, despite the fact that the Everton game was not on the screen, in one instance it was a tennis game and in another it was a NBA game, the heading still showed Everton v Blackburn for that time slot superimposed at the top of the screen should you have pressed the 'info' button.

What troubles me more though is the fact that while the programming had been amended, how was one who would have been interested in viewing the Tennis or NBA games come to learn of their availability if it was left to pure happenstance ?

To me, that is plain laziness, despite the fact that I am personally paying over $100/month to BEV for the benefit of those services. It is yet another obvious example, even in these hard economic times, that the prevailing attitude of entities that provide services for a fee is: " I care not but for thee Jack, for I am in good stead."

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The tennis and basketball went longer than they were supposed to. Anyone who wanted to watch it probably already was. The tennis coverage was supposed to run from 7am-noon ET, it ran past 12:30pm because the games went longer than they were supposed to.

The people responsible for programming guides are 3rd parties, usually Zap2It or TVGuide.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That doesn't take care of the fact that the originally scheduled soccer game did not follow on after the belated conclusion of both the Tennis and NBA games, and was obviously bumped and the West Brom v Chelsea game was shown in its place, which as it happened had already been scheduled on another channel.

They stated that the switch would be to a the program that was originally scheduled but that it was already in progress, but no mention was made that it would not be the program that they had originally scheduled on the guide. So there's obviously a lack of liaison between the people who publish the guides and the people who relay the actual satellite TV programming.

Being a third party responsible for programming guides means they deal with the parties who avail themselves of their services so do not answer to the people who in the end make it all possible as a business venture. As usual, the piper nowadays no longer calls the tune.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just watched the classic cup final between Real Madrid and Barcelona on GolTV. Near the end of the match not only did we have more signal trouble but the commentator got so confused about the time he kept saying the whistle was about to blow when there was still 5 minutes to go. Fortunately the signal trouble wasn't too bad and nothing important was missed but this constant problem needs to be sorted out. I don't really watch any other football on GolTV so I don't know if it is only a problem during Spanish football or a problem with the channel. Anyway, I'm glad the next two Real-Barca matches will be on TSN or Sportsnet because the loss of signal has been so common lately I now expect it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The next one is actually on Setanta. The one after that is on TSN.

I think the problem is coming from GolTV US. When the signal went out, I checked an online stream (it was from GolTV US, in HD) and it went down too. Of course it is possible that it simply got shut down by the copyright guys.

One of the disadvantages about calling a match from studio in Miami is that if there are signal troubles, it can obviously get quite confusing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks jgvp on the comments about my website. Glad to hear Canadian Footy fans always looking at my site for the latest on where the matches will be on TV.

Andy Pereira

1 - 20 of 28 Posts