Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Probably about as much as the "gouge" was for TSN2. Sheesh. This is a good thing, you know...
I can't imagine there won't be at least a small gouge. From a revenue point of view, there's no way Oilers/Flames/Canucks are giving up the PPV revenue stream without something to replace it and I can't fathom Rogers is simply replacing that revenue stream out of existing cash flow.

As to what the gouge will be, it really shouldn't be more than, say, $3 - $5/month per subscriber to more than replace the PPV revenues, but the big telecoms haven't really shown much of an inclination not to gouge in recent years :(.

Fortunately or unfortunately for we long-suffering Oiler fans, the Rogers "gouge" impulse should be largely offset by the "the way they're playing these days, the Oilers should be paying ME to watch them" attitude, such that the final price should be acceptable to both sides :D

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I suspect it will be packaged with TSN2 on Shaw Direct (in "Sports 1") and with Sportsnet on Bell (in "Sports 2"). As far as cable goes, if you get TSN2, you will probably get Sportsnet One. I honestly don't think that the average sports fan will have to pay any more for this channel than they did before. Remember when TSN2 came in, those with Bell and Shaw Direct saw no price change (assuming you subscribed to the sports package before). This isn't going to be like Setanta where its a $15 a month premium service.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I suspect it will be packaged with TSN2 on Shaw Direct (in "Sports 1") and with Sportsnet on Bell (in "Sports 2"). As far as cable goes, if you get TSN2, you will probably get Sportsnet One. I honestly don't think that the average sports fan will have to pay any more for this channel than they did before. Remember when TSN2 came in, those with Bell and Shaw Direct saw no price change (assuming you subscribed to the sports package before). This isn't going to be like Setanta where its a $15 a month premium service.
Exactly. When you are providing the games for free over the internet, there is only so much you can charge to watch them on TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts