Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm copy / pasting this from a thread I started on Shaw's community forum to see if I can get more input. The thread is located here: https://community.shaw.ca/thread/12012

Looking for feedback from others on this. I have 2 portals that are connected to A/V Receivers. Both are slightly different setups but with same results.
I am using channels 201 (CBS) and 225 (TSN) for comparison although there are a number of other network channels that have the issue.

Portal 1: HDMI -> AV Receiver -> TV: Channel 201 connects digital to receiver but only has 2 channel sound (ie, no center channel whatsoever). Channel 225 connects DD5.1 will full 5 channel sound. On 201 I have to set the A/V Receiver to Pro Logic to get simulated surround. On 225, the A/V Receiver detects 5.1 and I get voice through center channel.

Portal 2: HDMI -> TV, RCA Digital Audio out -> A/V Receiver: This is an older A/V Receiver but auto-switches from DD5.1 to Pro Logic. On 201 it receives Digital signal but the receiver shows Pro Logic. On 225, the receiver shows digital signal and DD5.1 lights up.

Both portals have audio out correctly set to Dolby Digital.

I have opened a ticket with Shaw this morning but I am looking for feedback to reference. Shaw T1 tech said he had a standalone HD box at home hooked to an AMP that he would check. Unfortunately I do not have anything I can hook up to my one stand-alone HD box to test. This needs to be confirmed as well. ie, if it is a gateway / portal issue or both.

I am certain that this all used to work correctly some time ago as I recall watching CSI episodes on 201 that state DD5.1 and were definitely played back in 5.1. Now, everything on 201 is only 2-channel.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand that the source needs to be broadcast in 5.1, however, in the example above, the broadcaster advertised 5.1 for the programming in question (Grammys) and I am absolutely certain that I used to receive this particular source (CBS Seattle on Shaw 201) in 5.1. I have watched many episodes of CSI* in 5.1 on this particular channel.

My point being, as of late, I have noticed a number of channels (primarily networks) that used to broadcast in 5.1 are now in fact, 2.0.

Shaw support suggested it may be an issue with the Gateway system as the last update apparently dealt with some audio "fixes". I am just looking for feedback from others with possibly different setups to confirm / dispute my claim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sense. For me, I'm in Winnipeg and our East feeds get sub'd so this is not the case for me. I get the real CBS feed, in 2.0.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's 3 days since the Grammys, so we can assume you have tried a bunch of other programs on 201 to see if they are all 2.0?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Grammys was just an example. It's all programming on 201 for me that is presented in 2.0 - before and after. There are other networks as well but to keep it simple I focused on 201 and 225.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Shaw 201 is actually Spokane WA, not Seattle, as confirmed in their current channel listing. Has been for some time. For a variety of reasons I switched to MTS about 5 mths ago. At that time and for quite a while before CBS West on Shaw 201 was DD2.0 according to my AVR.
I checked in with Shaw who confirmed they simply relay what they receive.
I e-mailed the station a couple of time and got no respeonse!

You correctly noted the programs display a logo confirmimg audio to be DD5.1, but that is the network advising that, the station does not appear to be passing it along.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, you're correct, it is Spokane.

I checked all the channels I have access to (basically everything except premium movies and that RAD package) and the following are all 2.0:
201 CBS
204 PBS
205 ABC
221 BNN
222 Frame
233 Golf
263 Family
265 YTV
268 Encore

All others are broadcasting in DD5.1.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Are these HD or SD channels? SD channels are rarely in DD5.1. DD5.1 can be lost in a number of ways. That can be at the network feed, in station equipment, at the BDU or in home equipment. My experience is that Shaw does not always "simply relay what they receive." The received signal is processed to relay it to the head end. It is then processed again for carriage over cable or satellite. I've often seen Shaw mess up audio encoding at their end, especially with US stations, and I've occasionally seen it with other BDUs. Some broadcast stations, but not many these days, have some equipment that cannot process DD5.1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are all HD channels. Apparently the CBS Spokane (201) issue is the feed. Seems odd to me because I am absolutely positive it used to be 5.1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just called KREM2 (CBS 201 feed from Spokane, WA) and spoke with a gentleman in engineering. He confirmed that they broadcast 5.1 and have a fibre feed to Calgary / Edmonton via Vancouver. He also mentioned that if original programming is not in 5.1, they convert to a simulated 5.1 sound.

So I wonder why we are not getting the feed the way it is being passed?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Sometimes the provider (or signal conveyor) will pick up the incorrect signal, like described video instead of DD5.1. The station may have several audio streams available. Looks like you'll need to contact Shaw again and advise them that the signal should be DD5.1 and that you talked to the station engineer. It would be good if you had it in writing from the engineer since we had a similar issue with Rogers where they were getting the DV feed (DD1.0 if I recall) a while back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a similar thread open on Shaw's community forum and have an open ticket with them. If need be I'm sure the engineer at KREM would be happy to provide a written statement as he was more than willing to help out.

Thanks for the reply...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts