Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My business in Vancouver is currently on a 3.0mbps business internet connection with Telus. I called today to get upgraded to the 6.0mbps connection and was told that the node in my area was full and I would have to wait and call back every so often to see if they had a free port to put us on. My personal feeling was to find another internet provider, but the boss likes the @telus.net email that we have. I then inquired how much we pay and was told it was the standard $71.95 per month. On the website, that price says that you get 6.0mbps so I asked. I was told that there is no difference in price because they are trying to go to 6.0mbps and remove 3.0. I then inquired whether or not the CSR thought that was a fair pricing scheme for their customers - I have to say I don't like paying the same price for half the speed as someone else. I was told that that is the way it is and hopefully they will be able to offer 100mbps with fibre soon. I responded that I was worried they were only going to supply me with 3.0mbps but charge me the fibre rate.

Just a warning to business - and I assume personal - customers that if your area is full, you may get saddled with the slower speeds but be expected to pay the higher rate. I wouldn't have even minded so much if we could be put on a waiting list for the faster port, but to be told to call back every couple of weeks until one is available when I call - that is just the worst customer service one could expect to hear.

end rant...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Your company uses @telus.net email addresses?

Tell your boss its time to move into the 21st Century!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, we are an accounting firm and the email is easy for all of our clients so she doesn't want to change. I keep pushing the idea of individual addresses for each of us at our company's name, but what do you do. I choose to roll with it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I understand.

Whenever I see a business email address that is an ISP or gmail or hotmail, I don't take the business seriously.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Their regular highspeed has the potential to be three different speeds. 1.5, 3.0 and 6.0. They do this because while some people qualify for highspeed, they may not qualify for 6.0 or 3.0, yet can still get speeds faster than Lite at 256 kps. This is due to a variety of reasons like distance from the central office, port availabilty, etc. They will have put you on the fastest speed your service connection could handle at the time of set up. It's still considered highspeed. It costs the same amount to set up and comes with the same promotions and hardware.

Lite and Tubo are a bit more concrete at 256 kps and 15Mbs

Your boss says her customers are used to it, but it's her thats too used to it. She doesn't understand how worthwhile it would be to make the switch to a personalized email solution for her business. Personally, I think having an email with an ISP is a terrible idea. Yeah, the alias features are cool but what if you want to switch providers?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds like Telus is giving you the run-around. [email protected] or [email protected] is much more professional. There are dozens, make that hundreds, of companies that will set this up and handle the routing. Its usually inexpensive as well. If handled correctly, the company will own the domain so email handling can be moved to different providers when required. Tying the company email to a Telus domain looks unprofessional and ties the company to Telus, and they know it. Being able to switch providers easily for better service and pricing is worth the transition. Maybe you should provide a plan with options, prices and advantages to your boss. OTOH, he might not care but at least you tried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts