Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the reply from ask Jim that I just received, the hockey game between Montreal and Toronto on December 11 along with the Heritage Classic game between Montreal and Calgary on February 20, 2011 will NOT be shown in 3D on channel 233.

If I'm not mistaken since channel 233 was introduced, all we've seen were two soccer games and a one time showing of a documentary on dinosaurs. :mad:

Who knew Canadians were more interested in soccer than hockey. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you were around Toronto during any World Cup you would know! lol

I agree with you that it is a bit of a joke advertising their 3D ability and never having anything aired on their 3D channel.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think they got a hard time producing hockey in decent 3d anyway. Something to do with shooting the action from too far. The normal right to left camera angle just does not work all that great for 3d.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the hockey game between Montreal and Toronto on December 11 along with the Heritage Classic game between Montreal and Calgary on February 20, 2011 will NOT be shown in 3D on channel 233.
We will be airing these games in 3D on channel 233/Classic and 333/Advanced

Montreal at Toronto: Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 at 19:00 ET
Washington at Pittsburgh: Sat. Jan. 1, 2011 at 13:00 ET
Montreal at Calgary: Sun. Feb. 20, 2011 at 18:00 ET

Requirements: 3D ready TV / 3D glasses / HD receiver (505,530,605,630) / DVI or HDMI connection from receiver to TV.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Jessica for the clarification, I'm very happy to see the information I'd received was wrong.

PS. You might want to point this out to Karen who replied to my inquire on behalf of Jim Cummins earlier today. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a JVC rs-40 on pre-order that will do 3D. Doubtful that it will make it to my home on-time for Dec-11 but I'm sure hoping!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you Jessica for the clarification, I'm very happy to see the information I'd received was wrong.

PS. You might want to point this out to Karen who replied to my inquire on behalf of Jim Cummins earlier today. ;)
This information was just released to us. It may have not reached all employees yet. Thank you for informing us.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
721 Posts
zbroke why not just record the game( if you have a 630) then you will be able to watch it whenever,depending when you get your tv. I plan on recording it myself although I don't yet have 3d tv,but just in case I get the itch.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Posts deleted.

This thread is about Shaw airing 3D hockey not a discussion of 3D formats. The discussion of what is HD 3D and what is not is taking place in the HDTV forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just told that channel 933 would be free of charge and in standard definition and channel 966 would be high def at a cost of $7.99.

Guess I'll be using a PPV credit to buy ch. 966 and record both to compare PQ for future reference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was just told that channel 933 would be free of charge and in standard definition and channel 966 would be high def at a cost of $7.99.

Guess I'll be using a PPV credit to buy ch. 966 and record both to compare PQ for future reference.
I don't know why you were given that information. But there is only one 3D channel (233/Classic and 333/Advanced), there is no additional charge to watch the game.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry 933 was a typo, should have wrote 233.

Turns out the same signal was shown on 233 & 966 (both were HD) and I didn't have to buy anything to get a picture on 966.

Hockey looks good in 3D, very much like you're there. The depth perception is remarkable, especially from the corner cameras and during stopped play when showing the benches. The score graphic is distracting at first because it looks like it's sticking three feet out of the screen but after twenty minutes I got used to it. IMO when the day comes when they can use roughly twenty cameras like they do for HD games, people will never want to see a game in 2D again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts