Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Nintendo 3DS - $250 U.S !

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  numba1killa 
#1 ·
News source : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375965,00.asp#

IMO - Wow..that's a lot of bucks for a portable game system! The DS usually appeals to a younger market and I'm not sure the average soccer moms out there will be buying this as a replacement for their kids' current DS's .

I'm sure it will be popular with the hardcore mobile gamers..but that price point has gotta come down !

Opinions?

#2 ·
There was a guy on XM last week that worked on one of the 3D game that will be available for it and he said that no price was fixed yet. He did mention that the games would be extremely expensive. Nintendo games in the 60's range and 3rd party in the upper 70's to lower 80's.
If the price does stay at 250, that is sure a no sale to many families with young gamers... :eek:

#3 ·
Nintendo made the official announcement today. $250 US and available on March 27th.

Initial reports aren't looking too promising though (especially for the 3D technology). Glasses-free 3D just isn't there yet, as there is a very limited viewing angle when enabling 3D. Otherwise you will notice a fair bit of flicker and/or lose the 3D.

Combine that with a reported 3-5 hour battery life from Nintendo, and I really don't see the appeal of this device.

#5 ·
Looks like games will cost around $70 (if Future Shop's site is accurate).

Definitely too much for my liking. I still don't know if graphics are that much better than the DS (aside from the 3D tech which I probably would never use).

Nintendo failed with their first 3D venture, and I have a feeling they are going to fail with this as well.

#9 ·
Looks like games will cost around $70 (if Future Shop's site is accurate).
I think FS site is wrong... Best Buy lists games at a much more reasonable $40. When you think about it $250 isn't too outrageous, a PSP bundle is still $200 or so and the 3ds has tons of extras such as 3 cameras, 3D, ect.

Anyone know if the $250 MSRP includes a game or anything? (edit: no game included :( ) BTW It is available for preorder and supplies are limited apparently.

#10 ·
Future Shop now shows the $40 prices. Hopefully that is what the games actually cost.

I still stand by my opinion that this will fail overall but only time will tell. I just hope they at least keep the DSi XL on sale for those who don't want the 3DS (they could keep the regular DSi on sale as well but I doubt most would pay an extra $100 if they saw the 3DS sitting next to a DSi (especially if it was for a kid).

That said I would love to be proven wrong as a failure would seriously hurt Nintendo right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.