1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
I wonder how they classified zip.ca, or OTT or rental only house-holds? They would have a TV so they are not part of the "no TV set". The "don't know / other" seems to open. Apartment dwellers for example may have their cable services included and think OTA is really cable.

I experiment with OTA but nothing is permanent. Still 7% is large chunk.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
They appear to be treating them as complementary services rather than replacements to cable or IPTV.

They are partly correct in that streaming video services are complementary to each other and to traditional cable/IPTV. That is, I don't just use one streaming service. Once you have broadband internet access, you have access to many services. It's not "just Netflix" or "just Hulu" but rather an aggregate of the content available on all these services in the same way that if someone has Shaw cable they probably don't also subscribe to Telus Optik.

That is, when doing these surveys many content services (internet-based and traditional) should be listed, and the survey should use check-boxes, not radio buttons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am proud to say that I am one of the 7% of Canadians that gets live television Over-the-Air.

I live in an apartment on the north side of the building, so my only option if I wanted to get pay-TV would be to go with Rogers. I'm more of a passive TV watcher and I am fine with watching anything I miss via the websites of the broadcasters through my computer plugged in to my TV, so pay-TV just isn't that much of a necessity for me.

What is a bit shocking is that we have 89% of people who pay for television, but 2% of people that say they don't own one. That is a high percentage of people who don't own a TV considering the high percentage of people that do own one and pay monthly for it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I experiment with OTA but nothing is permanent. Still 7% is large chunk.
It is a fair number. I have read that in Windsor, ON it is estimated to be in the 25-30% range, probably in part due to legacy (at one time the area was one of the best OTA markets in North America) and the fact that the city only got cable tv in the mid-1980's.

In my household we do both: Shaw Direct (for specialty channels) and OTA. If it were up to me I'd ditch satellite altogether but I'd probably be out-voted. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
In my household we do both: Shaw Direct (for specialty channels) and OTA. If it were up to me I'd ditch satellite altogether but I'd probably be out-voted. ;)
In my case, the wife was the decisive factor. Once I got her approval, we then voted with our wallets. My two daugther complained for about a week after we ditched cable and got used to it.

The report notes that while OTT may be an economical alternative for consumers who are interested in only the smaller set of channels available online, BDUs will continue to appeal to households that want wide options or whose preferred programming and channels are not available on OTT services.
What an insightful conclusion :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would prefer to just have all programming on a VOD, PAYG basis. Virtually everything gets recorded on a PVR and watched later now. OTOH, if they want money for each program, they'd better not have commercial ads. Nothing annoys me more than paying for content and then having to sit through ads.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Myself and three others I know just converted back to OTA due to rising costs and the digital conversion of OTA. It will be interesting to see the next poll results to see if digital OTA + OTT + Internet has made any headway over this seemingly staggering number.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think the study takes into account those with multiple systems such as cable and OTA. If you get cable to one set in your house it's considered that you get it to all sets, although it's possible that someone might have a set in their garage that they use as OTA or that someone might use more than one system on their set.

Right now I'm using my computer for my TV and subscribe to ExpressVu, so I can get shows from satellite, OTA and the Internet. And that's not counting video files that I may have on the computer. But I can watch something streaming off the Internet almost as easily as I watch TV. I just can't control it remotely if I'm using a browser.

About the only channel that I know of that streams it's broadcast entirely (aside from just individual shows) is SunTV. If all stations did that then there would be no need for pay systems. There was a Canadian site years ago that streamed off-air TV but it was shut down for copyright violation. It's a shame because it was ahead of it's time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts