Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rogers Cable has added nine South Asian TV Channels to its Ontario line-up.

Aimed at Canada's growing South Asian community, the new channels will enhance Rogers' already strong offering of foreign and Canadian services in Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali and English.

The new channels are all from the Asian Television Network which now offers thirty-three channels on Rogers Cablesystems.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The following is a brief description for each of the new channels as provided by ATN:

ZOOM : A true Bollywood insider, zoOm brings to its viewers one of its kind offering of the industry via hottest entertainment stories, big shows, movies, trends and celebrity interviews every day. The channel of choice for urban India, zoOm appeals to every film lover's information needs on the enigmatic world of Hindi Cinema. Nothing sells like Bollywood in India and zoOm is the only channel that connects over 80 percent of urban Indian households to 100% Bollywood.

TIMES NOW is India's most watched general English news channel that is devoted to providing pure and relevant news to its viewers around the clock. TIMES NOW has attained the leadership position by successfully delivering news to its viewers in a vivid and insightful manner, since its launch in January, 2006.

ATN MALAYALAM: ATN Malayalam is a Malayalam general interest channel from Kerala, India featuring movies, news, sports, dramas & religious programmes.

AATH: Sony Aath is a first-of-its-kind dedicated Bengali film channel. It's the only channel that offers complete, fun-filled movie experience; all day, all through the week in Bengali language.

SAB TV: SAB offers fresh, innovative and relevant mix of comedy based programming aimed at the young and old alike. Their shows tap into the gamut of emotions that are experienced by the entire family making SAB the first pure standalone comedy based channel.

PUNJJABI TV: Punjjabi TV is a channel with colors from every part of Punjab. Punjjabi TV brings into your homes a part of Punjab every day. With original shows, dramas, music, movies, chat shows, talk shows, entertainment and information at its best.

CHANNEL I BANGLA: Channel i is the first 24 hours a day digital Bangla channel launched in October 1, 1999. Channel i with the slogan "Hridoya Bangladesh" (means Bangladesh in its heart) has been acclaimed as one of the leading educational and entertainment Bangla channels.

NDTV GOOD TIMES: Launched in September 2007, the channel targets a largely cosmopolitan, socially progressive audience that is young and increasingly affluent, with an inclination towards better living. The programming is presented with style, wit and intelligence by hosts who are experts in their field

JUS PUNJABI: Jus Punjabi is the first American - Punjabi Television station. Apart from the regular dramas & music, the channel also features News bulletins covering the latest news from Punjab, Haryana & New Delhi. Another highlight of the channel is the religious and spiritual programming including daily Shabad Gurbani, Nitnem, Katha from India and from local Gurudwaras; interviews with local politicians and celebrities, and special programming aimed at women and young viewers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It is a great news. I hope ATN improve the video quality of its channels. ATN has a wealth of South Asian channels but the video and audio quality is terrible. If you watch same channels on Dishnetwork ( I was in US last year) and then on ATN you will see the hugh difference. I am not sure why ATN is thinning down the quality. These channels look great on 30 inch old CRT screens but when you watch them on modern screens like LEDs, LCDs and Plasmas, the quality is very poor on majority of channels. I think ATN should look into it and improve the video quality. People have big screens now and can see the poor quality.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I am not sure why ATN is thinning down the quality.
My guess would be that the equipment they have is of very poor quality, which results in a poor quality feed being transferred to the service providers. Looks like they are trying to run things on the cheap, that might work for a small ethnic provider but they are a major provider IMO as they now offer over 30 channels including many that are foreign services and thus have no start up or operating costs. I wonder how much profit they are making off all these channels?!

On another note, with the addition of these channels Rogers now carries over 30 South Asian channels- do people actually subscribe to all these channels?! At this rate, pretty soon all television channels from India will be available here- WOW!?

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I noticed that 175(Times) has Times Now one of the ATN channels it appears to be free at the moment, but I'm waiting to see if they make you pay for it by itself or have it part of the "News package".

If they make it part of the news package, to me that will unfair to AJE.

There allowing a news channel from Russia(RT-Russia Today) even though its in English its still Russian and not Canadian, same with Times Now, South East Asian not Canadian, even though its English. If thats the case AJE should be part of the news package and not at an extra cost. If your going to allow one news channel(Foreign non British/US{American US interestes not from Russia IE CNN})as part of the package then treat everyone one the same. Don't say your Russian or South East Asian your all right but your Arabic sorry you have to pay extra.

Too me thats being Discriminating?(Just my view)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts